Why become a member? ×

Getting a bit of wireless IEM support whilst still using backline ........... possible??

Pirellithecat

OK I'm an old git, and probably getting a bit mutton Jeff!  But ........
With my own Rig, which is a stacked set-up and so fairly close to my ears, I can hear fine and can tweak the sound to suit.

Recently been playing through a "House Bands" set up in a pub - and I find it a real struggle to hear anything played above a D on the A string.   Apparently it's OK in the audience, though. 

The set up is a Combo on the floor beside the bass player, with a 2*12inch guitar rig on top - so not ideal.

Nothing else goes through the PA except vocals, so I still need to hear the on stage amps etc, but I wondered whether there was a way of rigging up a single in Ear Monitor for the bass - wirelessly without fiddling with the host amp too much??    I'm guessing I need some kind of a Bluetooth transmitter and appropriate ear bud but I'm struggling to find anything suitable.   
Anyone any suggestions - and yes it's probably a pretty daft question!!

You have a guitar amp at ear height, my commiserations.

It sounds a pretty dumb arrangement.

If I was playing there, I would probably bring my own amp.

Or ask the sound engineer to get the guitar amp as far away as possible from your ears (in a diplomatic way).

• Like 2

If only - it's a pub "do" and we tend to do a a couple of very short sets through the evening.   So no sound engineers/no room/no time to alter the set up (actually you can't even reach/see the settings on the Bass Combo).   Apparently it all sounds OK out front, but a solution so that it's easier to hear what's going on in awkward set-ups, would be a good thing, as it happens in a number of places where we play and share "the Stage"!    But yeah - it is pretty dumb as you say .......

Probably easiest to run a line out or DI out from the bass amp into a small desk and feed that to your in ear pack, in a pinch you could run it straight from the DI to the belt pack.

Realistically if you're looking to use a single in ear then it won't help much as the outside noise cancellation is a big part of the experience (for me anyway), probably best seeing if you can set up a small powered monitor or something.

Single in-ear is a no, hell no, not happening thing. Your brain can't process disparate volumes and you crank up the monitor to hear it while all the racket has full access to the other ear.

I am guessing you aren't using any earplugs as yet? I recommend the comfy foam tipped metal ones from flareaudio.com in UK.

Damping down everything makes it easier to hear everything way better, including myself. Might be all you need.

If that's not enough I would tend toward a practice amp with a tuner out that you could put on the floor at your feet laying right back. Tuner out goes to stage amp.

Turning its bass right down it will get loud enough to hear what note you are playing, with minimal interruption to life in general.

Plop down, plug in power and string cable back to stage amp. Sound check is plucking an open D and bringing it up with your fretting hand. You should be ready before the drummer has shifted the kit into place.