Why become a member? ×

Stainless steel string players

ubit

I use stainless steel strings all the time. I first started when I found out that I was allergic to nickel and when I sweated my fingers would first itch and then the skin would start peeling off. Before I worked out what was causing this problem I had nights where the blood was running down my hands. Very rock and roll but not at all comfortable. It turned out that I preferred the stainless as they were brighter than nickel coated strings.

I do like that new string brightness so I am forced to buy strings regularly. I found a supplier who sold very cheap stainless and bought a load. Trouble is I don't remember where I got them and can't find them online anymore. Does anyone know where I can source cheap stainless steel strings please?

• Like 1

I can’t remember the name of the ones I got as they came in a clear plastic bag with no label. They definitely were not as good as Elites or Rotosounds but considering they were a fraction of the price I was prepared to put up with them. I just can’t remember where I got them. I thought it was Amazon but can’t find them on there

I use these for my six string. They're far better than the price would suggests, and at six quid a pack you can afford to throw the extra strings away. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-CHAMP-6-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-ROUND-WOUND-STRINGS-30-125-/153818811958?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0P

• Like 1

I found these. I bought them before but this wasn't the unmarked ones which were ok too. These are a good deal if, like me, you change strings often.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152412804819?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

You can't go wrong for £4.79 a set.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I am alergic to nickel too, but obviously not as badly as you - just makes my skin go dark when I have played for a while.

It was when we were playing so much in the early 90's. Hot sweaty pubs and my hands sweating. I would notice little blisters in between my fingers, which would burst after a while and then the skin became red raw and flaky and finally would split. It was agony. I used to dry my hands on a towel after every song but it didn't help much. I got tests done at work but nothing was conclusive. It was myself that worked out that it was the nickel, as I could never wear a cheap watch. My wrist would flare up. I tried the stainless and it was like a revelation. No more discomfort. I have since tried nickel strings on occasion and I very quickly start to feel that itching starting in between my fingers again.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

I just bought 10 sets of Warwick Reds from Thomann and they worked out at £7.09 a set. Bargain....

But they are nickel. My above post, Coban strings, stainless-£4.70 a set if you buy more than four

55 minutes ago, ubit said:

But they are nickel. My above post, Coban strings, stainless-£4.70 a set if you buy more than four

Nope they're stainless steel 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_red_label_045.htm

I've tried the Coban ones a few years back and found the Warwicks last a few extra gigs for me and seem a bit brighter. They don't sound like cheaper strings.

• Like 1

No, Warwick do a set of Stainless in the Red labels as well. IIRC, 42200.

Used to get them from Thomann. Great strings that lasted well. I think Gear4Music sell them as well, for about £9 a set.

Stopped using Nickels due to a reaction. The skin would go white and peel, and my fingers would get sore. Changing to Stainless stopped it immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

I just bought 10 sets of Warwick Reds from Thomann and they worked out at £7.09 a set. Bargain....

When I needed that really new twang these are what I used, and could get 2 to 3 months of weekly gigging before needing to change them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

Nope they're stainless steel 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_red_label_045.htm

I've tried the Coban ones a few years back and found the Warwicks last a few extra gigs for me and seem a bit brighter. They don't sound like cheaper strings.

Cheers, I just looked up red label strings on Thomas site and all available were nickel.

It's not what you're asking but you could consider spending a bit more on a really decent set of strings that holds it's brightness. I'm a convert to DR strings, they are a bit pricey but they sound incredible and the tone lasts months. It might work out cheaper in the long run!

I use Hi Beams and Fat Beams - I think I prefer the Fats as they're a bit fuller.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's not what you're asking but you could consider spending a bit more on a really decent set of strings that holds it's brightness. I'm a convert to DR strings, they are a bit pricey but they sound incredible and the tone lasts months. It might work out cheaper in the long run!

I use Hi Beams and Fat Beams - I think I prefer the Fats as they're a bit fuller.

Me too

Fat beams sound great and last for ages. I buy the direct from the US via ebay. Still cheaper than the UK price if you only buy one set and don't get stung for duty/ups fees as I did when I tried to buy two.