Why become a member? ×

Greene King pub gig payment

mikegatward

Our singer has managed to get us on their system and it looks like we might actually get paid for the gig we did in August 2021. Although I suspect it'll be in the last financial year or something else will stall it now. 😁

Edited by TimR

On 22/10/2021 at 16:47, Silvia Bluejay said:

It wasn't too bad for us, when we used it for the first time a few weeks ago. However, it has a rather steep learning curve. Quite apart from the weird terminology, which doesn't match any of my experience as a self-employed person, there are some unexpected steps.

To start with, it's not the Client who gives you a Purchase Order; the onus is on you, as the Supplier, to put a Request in the system, mentioning the agreed job and fee, BEFORE the job is carried out.

The Client then approves your Request - possibly several times (twice in our case, by two different people).

Then you do the job, play the gig. Then the onus is again on you to put the same amount you previously 'requested' in the system again, but this time in the form of an Expense to which you attach an invoice. You should do that just after playing the gig.

Then, in the following few days, several people at the Client and at SAP Concur approve your Expense.

Then you wait. And wait. And wait.

Then you get paid, eventually, into the bank account you entered when setting up your Concur account.

With us, it wasn't too bad, we were paid about 10 days after the day of the gig. I hear that Event UK normally takes 3 weeks. Mustn't grumble... 🙄

A little late to the party, but:

Played the Williamstown farmer's market yesterday, packed up, and the market manager handed us our payment in ca$h.

As Henry Miller said, "Peace. It's wonderful."

• Like 1

I have just been googling Greene King gigs and came across this blog. I wanted to share my current experience with yous. I have started getting my gigs through GigRealm when playing at these pubs which has made things much easier when finding gigs and getting paid. However the only thing I did notice was that GigRealm isn’t in all their pubs yet, but they have been rolling out so it may be worth looking.

• Like 1

OK so it seems to aim to be a slightly less dreadfully organised version of Event UK. May be worth a try, although, as @Rosie said, very few Greene King pubs even mention it. Certainly nobody at the GK pubs we played recently told us that was an option.

Most of my first page of Google search results are dated Sept-Oct 2021 and quote their press release, but there isn't much in the way of actual reviews in use on the field that I can see at a glance. I'll keep searching. :)

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

I'd give it until Sept - Oct 2022 until 17.99 a month kicks in and see how many venues are left after that.

Corporates get a ''multi site rate'', read ''handy discount''.

If you did 4 gigs a month 17.99 is a saving on administration. Book a month of gigs with a few clicks. Pay one bill at the end of the month. Small timers won't see it that way but full on music venues could lose a staff member.

In between the extremes the pubs that do music every Fri Sat and holiday might go for it if the manager is chief cook and bottle washer and band booker payer and is sick of the prospecting bands.

I decided to see what GigRealm is like and tested it by entering some details for myself and one of our bands.

Apart from being really clunky in operation, it stopped functioning properly within minutes of me adding info and images. Something broke and I can't access my band profile to modify or delete anything.

Absolute crap. So I contacted their customer service, which hides behind a tiny link called Feedback at the very bottom of their page, and asked for help. They have been completely useless, to the point that they've been incapable of even just wiping my account out altogether and allowing me to start again (assuming I choose to do so).

Avoid them like the plague.

• Thanks 1

I think it will vary according to the structure of the pub. Their manager should approve payment first, then someone at Concur. This stage may only happen once, but occasionally four people instead of two are involved, in two stages.

Do you have a contact at the pub you can prod? The booker, or the manager? Or both? It's easy for a transaction to stall if they're waiting for someone to action it, and that someone has no idea they're expected to wake up and press some buttons... 9_9

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I think it will vary according to the structure of the pub. Their manager should approve payment first, then someone at Concur. This stage may only happen once, but occasionally four people instead of two are involved, in two stages.

Do you have a contact at the pub you can prod? The booker, or the manager? Or both? It's easy for a transaction to stall if they're waiting for someone to action it, and that someone has no idea they're expected to wake up and press some buttons... 9_9

our drummer now deals with these type of payment gigs, maybe that’s where the problem lies 😂

• Haha 2

I am quite networked within the music industry and many of my friends have signed up to GigRealm and been gigging. The only friend did find it difficult to navigate the site was one that was not very tech-savvy, they were not following the guidelines when uploading images. Having gone from gigging through Concur to GigRealm, has really been a turning point for me. I now get my payments much faster and I am not having to chase my payments or wait for my invoice to be authorised as it is all automated through GigRealm. It feels like a relief not having to jump through hoops like with the previous payment system.

Probably worth explaining how it works though as I have had gigs through them a number of times… You simply search for a gig, apply to play, the venue then confirms and an automated invoice and contract are generated. I got a text reminder on the morning to remind me of the details and as soon as I played the venue received an alert to pay me. I know this because I did the standard thing of asking the venue how I get paid to which they said they just received an alert to pay and then clicked the pay button there and then. Payment into my bank the same week which I was shocked at tbh. I will continue to keep using them. They are also apparently rolling out to a number of other pubs as well within Greene King. Some other friends have also heard the same thing so fingers crossed!

LOL thank you @Rosie! I notice you signed up very recently and these two posts about GigRealm are your only posts so far.

I know exactly how these things work, I'm highly computer literate and and I'm quite networked within my local music scene too. Customer service (still hiding behind "Feedback") came back to me saying they had been doing some update to the site - except they did not say that in their first reply to my request for help, they only offered that as a (rather feeble, by then) excuse the following day after I had complained in a further message. In other words, I found them useless, while the site is all right - when it works, and that's the key. How do I tell malfunction, incompetence and maintenance downtime from each other, if I'm not told vital info until half way through any given process I'm trying?

As I said, not worth bothering at this stage. There are lots of similar sites which are currently more established and less trouble. I might have another look at GigRealm in 12 months time.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 2

@Silvia BluejayFair enough, as mentioned they really work and no other site guaranteed me with paid only gigs. That’s the main thing I care about. I was upfront about signing up after googling for more Greene King gigs. Concur was the real problem and waiting forever to get paid.

• Like 1