Why become a member? ×

Learn How Many?

spongebob

With the originals project on a slow burn (looking more at 2022), I've been looking around for something else to get my teeth into alongside.

Spotted an ad looking for a bassist. Musically, it's faith music - not something I've ever done before - but I'm always open to anything if the band's right. In my head I was thinking Aretha/Curtis.....classic spirituals which are fine with me.

As it turned out, I asked for a potential list of what they're going to do. They sent me a list of what to look at......83 songs! None of which were on my radar.

Don't think I'll be following this one up.....distance is an issue (always willing to compromise for the right project).....but they come across like they don't really know what's going on!

• Haha 1

I think you’ve dodged a bullet there.

I spent a few years in that type of band. A lot of the modern worship songs are musically dire. If you have no underpinning religious faith I think it would have been excruciating.

All my just personal opinion, of course.

On 23/10/2021 at 13:44, spongebob said:

Nope, nothing. Just a huge list, and asked to get going on them!

No keys?  No chord charts? No YouTube videos as a point of reference?

In that case, I can see why you won't be taking it further.  I play in a church band, and I would struggle with 83 songs with no help given.    

i learnt 53 songs only to be told they were in different keys and arrangements were different!

would have been nice to be told before i learnt them all wrongly!

On 22/10/2021 at 22:32, mrtcat said:

Jesus Christ that's a lot. Our function band has a repertoire of about 200 but 1) they're all well known and 2) only about 45 ever see the light of day.

This ^^^

PS 'Jesus Christ that's a lot' - please let the OP tell us that's the reply he sent... 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

This ^^^

PS 'Jesus Christ that's a lot' - please let the OP tell us that's the reply he sent... 😁

Wish I had! 😄

4 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

No keys?  No chord charts? No YouTube videos as a point of reference?

In that case, I can see why you won't be taking it further.  I play in a church band, and I would struggle with 83 songs with no help given.    

No to all of the above - just the list. In all my years of playing, this was a new one even for me. Quite shocking, really - thought it was worth sharing with the BC collective - certainly the first time I've been given such bizarre instructions!

3 hours ago, aDx said:

i learnt 53 songs only to be told they were in different keys and arrangements were different!

would have been nice to be told before i learnt them all wrongly!

My guess is that you learnt them all correctly - the keys, the bass runs, the fills, the interplay between the drummer and the bassist.  

Sadly, the rest of the band then learnt them wrongly, or simplified the arrangements, or decided that every song should be in G.  

If it's any consolation, my church band regularly used to send out the sheet music in one key, a chord chart in another key, and a YouTube video  in a third key.  We would then rehearse it in a fourth key, before changing it to a 5th key to suit the vocalists.  

• Haha 1