Why become a member? ×

Cleaning the fretboard when you have tapewound strings?

BabyBlueSound

Hey fellow tape fans!

I just got my very first set of D'addario black tapewounds and while it's very different from the rounds I used for years, I am really starting to like them and get attached to them.

However, I got seriously sweaty hands, it's always been an issue. Even after 5-10 minutes of playing, I can already see the slightly wet sweat marks on my fretboard accumulating (even when playing in gloves!!!). So when I was using the rounds, I always, literally always wiped the strings and the fretboard off with a GHS fastfret cleaner after playing.

I know the tapes do not need to be cleaned as there's no tiny gaps like on the rounds where the mess could build up, and the GHS page specifically says: "we would not recommend using FastFret on coated strings".

But I still want to keep my fretboard clean of the sweat residue and obviously I can't take the strings off every time after the daily practice session just to apply the fastfret.

Should I just try to dry-wipe the frets with a microfibre cloth under the strings? Is there a better way?

Thanks!

I also use tapewounds strings and as I read that products used on metal strings can damage them, I went  to classical nylon guitar site and read that they take the strings apart and wash them with soap.

I don't want to take my strings apart and didn't see how I could use soap on my bass, but I found a rather soft product that washes and greases the strings and the fingerboard a little. again, it's pretty soft. Purchased from Thomann. Not completely sure of the result, it works but it remains soft.

The one I use is this one

https://www.thomann.de/fr/lapella_no.34_single_cleaning_wipe.htm

There is also this one witch I don't know

https://www.thomann.de/fr/lapella_no.31_cleaning_wipes_set.htm

On 26/10/2021 at 09:23, Aalin said:

I also use tapewounds strings and as I read that products used on metal strings can damage them, I went  to classical nylon guitar site and read that they take the strings apart and wash them with soap.

I don't want to take my strings apart and didn't see how I could use soap on my bass, but I found a rather soft product that washes and greases the strings and the fingerboard a little. again, it's pretty soft. Purchased from Thomann. Not completely sure of the result, it works but it remains soft.

The one I use is this one

https://www.thomann.de/fr/lapella_no.34_single_cleaning_wipe.htm

There is also this one witch I don't know

https://www.thomann.de/fr/lapella_no.31_cleaning_wipes_set.htm

Thanks, might check this out too, for now I went with the Ebay fingerboard cleaner linked above.

I'm sure we should not wash the strings with soap 😁 Nylon guitar strings have no metal core on the inside, but tapewounds do.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Petey said:

Try Isopropyl Alcohol wipes - the fluid is used to clean parts on amps and guitars - they do packs of wipes which you can get off ebay - used them for years on Bass Guitar and Double Bass strings - 

I am not sure... Isopropyl Alcohol attacks some plastic or removes the sheen on some plastics and leaves behind a residue that cannot be removed by cleaning. Would not test it on my tapes.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2021 at 19:03, Petey said:

Try Isopropyl Alcohol wipes - the fluid is used to clean parts on amps and guitars - they do packs of wipes which you can get off ebay - used them for years on Bass Guitar and Double Bass strings - 

Have you ever tested it on Nylon strings ?

Edited by Aalin

Ok - please re-read my post - the word Try is at the beginning and the fact that is used on metal parts to clean parts on guitars and amps for years is a well known - research it more - don't just take my word …… and  maybe I should have written it as 'TRY' 

I also used it on Cassette tape head for years - no issues at all there even with some plastic parts around - research is the key 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Petey said:

Ok - please re-read my post - the word Try is at the beginning and the fact that is used on metal parts to clean parts on guitars and amps for years is a well known - research it more - don't just take my word …… and  maybe I should have written it as 'TRY' 

I also used it on Cassette tape head for years - no issues at all there even with some plastic parts around - research is the key 

Umm ok sure. The point of a forum is to ASK without trying something that might damage your £50 string set, and asking for information IS research. 🙃 I can certainly just try random stuff, but what's the point of the forum then?

The hard plastic on a casette is not the same plastic that is on the tapewound.

• Like 1

Understand your point....but the point of such forums is also to PASS ON/SHARE information - sure, don't take my word for it as my experiences with I.A obviously differ from yours - check with an experienced guitar luither & research Isopropyl more on line, shops, wherever, my fellow bass friend and you'll be amazed - in my experience it hasn't damaged the plastic on tapewounds for over 4O years that i've being playing  Bass guitar - just like Vinegar and WD40, it has many. many uses, esp round the home (after all Gary Moore used WD40 on his metal guitar strings to clean them  in the 70s and fellow guitarists thought he was mad, at the time - didn't damage his fingerboards - good luck in enlightenment