Jump to content

Ashdown Geezer Butler


ern500evo
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

There's a Myung one as well.

 

Ashdown really need to up their demo vid game though - just about everyone else would have had vids by half a dozen youtubers ready for launch day.

I did find it a bit strange that I couldn’t find any footage of one actually in use 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Ashdown really need to up their demo vid game though - just about everyone else would have had vids by half a dozen youtubers ready for launch day.

 

I completely agree. But even with older pedals. Their OriginAL preamp has really few videos and it's an awesome preamp. They should really work on this. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

 

I completely agree. But even with older pedals. Their OriginAL preamp has really few videos and it's an awesome preamp. They should really work on this. 

 

Even just sending out a couple to Nate Navarro / Patrick Hunter / Scott Wotsit / and the BassTheWorld guys would be great.

 

When Darkglass or similar launches - on launch day there are probably 10 different videos all available immediately, recorded in advance to a high quality, and with very different players so a proper feel of the range of the product can be had. It creates a lot of traffic mentioning the brand name and those vids appear on their own channels but linked to DG.

 

I've seen the older Phil Mann vids that Ashdown have and he's a great player, but he talks for the first 10 mins and then has 2 mins of playing. That old fashioned approach just looks so antiquated now and give no clue as to what the item sounds like in a mix.

 

Good modern demos need a 1-2 min full mix intro tune, then a quick run down of features and tones, then the sounds used in the intro tune again but solo'd. If Ashdown were to follow the Pete Thorn approach to gear demos they couldn't go wrong.

 

I don't know how much DG pay the video guys but DG do the new product launch better than anyone else at the moment so it's clearly worth the money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I don't know how much DG pay the video guys but DG do the new product launch better than anyone else at the moment so it's clearly worth the money.

 

I don’t know how these things work in reality, but I expect a lot of these YouTubers get plenty of profit purely from the platform so all it would cost Ashdown is the price of the pedal. Bunging a load of cash along with the pedal for a review would end up with more biased reviews, or at least the perception of that amongst viewers if they ever found out! They should hopefully clearly state if the video was sponsored by X if they have been paid to make a demo.

Edited by dannybuoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

 

I don’t know how these things work in reality, but I expect a lot of these YouTubers get plenty of profit purely from the platform so all it would cost Ashdown is the price of the pedal. Bunging a load of cash along with the pedal for a review would end up with more biased reviews, or at least the perception of that amongst viewers if they ever found out! They should hopefully clearly state if the video was sponsored by X if they have been paid to make a demo.

A lot of reviewers are paid and they don't hide it.  Bass the world are paid, for instance, and they often review Ashdown kit.

 

You have to read between the lines a bit with the obviously paid for reviews.  They will praise certain aspects of the product and demo it but you can't really learn much from a YouTube demo though.

 

Low end Lobster does great bass guitar reviews on his YouTube channel.  He buys the basses himself and then flogs them on afterwards, consequently he can call a bass 'Fender's turd' for example.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a fair point regarding paid reviews, but to be launching signature products from players of the calibre of Geezer, Myung and Pratt with not even a video from the artists themselves is odd to say the least. Thought the same thing with the Shavo head/Geezer head/Zender pedal etc. etc.

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Joe from GAK is now Joe from Ashdown.

 

Hmm. Not convinced by the pedal on the strength of that demo. I do love Geezer's tone though so it must be in there! And the proximity of the knobs to the footswitch is worrying. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...