Why become a member? ×

P bass advice please

tegs07

I have always preferred a P bass but struggle with the chunkier neck these days. I bought a MIJ Fender Aerodyne Jazz a while back and replaced the pickups with Geezer Butler’s. Pretty much everything about this bass is spot on. The neck profile is perfect. It’s a joy to play. 
The only downsides are I don’t like the shape of a Jazz body. I find them awkward. It’s also too pretty and doesn’t look like it will take much punishment so I’m a bit precious with it.

Does anyone know of a P bass with the same neck profile of the Aerodyne? It can be any make and I don’t mind if it’s already roadworn. Cheers.

Neck swaps between J and P 20 fret models is easy, so getting a new neck is an option. Have a look on ebay for a used Mex neck for a couple of hundred.

Sandbergs all have the same neck profile - no changes between their P and J types - the bodies are a little smaller and differently shaped and IMHO better for it - comfy!

The neck profile is somewhere between a trad J and P. 

9 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm still trying to get my head around how you prefer a Precision bass, but find the body shape of a Jazz awkward.

I think they sit very slightly differently both standing and more especially sitting with it on the left leg (for right handed players), it is subtle but noticeable, and you can spend ages playing around with strap length and the like trying to replicate the comfortable feel of one with the other

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for a s/h Fender Deluxe Active Precision Special. Mexican built bass with a PJ configuration but more importantly for you a Jazz bass neck profile. Later models had Fender Noiseless pickups, and if you’re not into active basses the early models ( without active in the title!) were passive. Great value for money basses.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Thanks for the response. I may look at a Bitsa with a Status Jazz neck. Has anyone played a Nate Mendel out of interest?

The Nelson Mandela is a great bass and ergonomically fits all the requirements. The first thing I did though was to remove the pickup as they come with one of those harsh/unsubtle Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders that don't appeal to me. Still, it's an easy modification.  

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

13 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

The Nelson Mandela is a great bass and ergonomically fits all the requirements. The first thing I did though was to remove the pickup as they come with one of those harsh/unsubtle Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders that don't appeal to me. Still, it's an easy modification.  

Is this auto correct playing up or a signature model that I am unaware of? 

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm still trying to get my head around how you prefer a Precision bass, but find the body shape of a Jazz awkward.

I find a Precision easier to use, but probably just because that’s what I’ve been used to for years. The Jazz doesn’t fit conventional guitar stands very well either. Just sayin’......🙂

I have couple of P's, a couple of J's and an Aerdoyne. Yes the necks are slimmer on the J's and Aerodyne but I find no problem with the chunkier neck of a P. If you are so set on a P body and J neck buy a neck second hand from the internet. This is an easy fix without having to buy a new bass.

4 minutes ago, ubit said:

I have couple of P's, a couple of J's and an Aerdoyne. Yes the necks are slimmer on the J's and Aerodyne but I find no problem with the chunkier neck of a P. If you are so set on a P body and J neck buy a neck second hand from the internet. This is an easy fix without having to buy a new bass.

Hey, steady on now. There's no need for that type of talk...

Another Precision bass with a slim neck is the Peavey Fury.  For some reason these quality USA built old basses can still be bought for next to nothing.  Stock pickups are on the aggressive side, which is either a good thing or not depending on the sound you are looking for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubit said:

I think it’s a combination of age and work induced RSI. I’ve also always favoured the chunkier side of P’s. My Vintera ‘50s was the ideal profile previously. Another Bitsa is possible but I am trying to wean myself off tinkering and actually learn to play a bit better. A road worn Mendel may well fit the bill and yep I agree with the OP about pickup choice. I would prefer a warmer vintage tone.

2 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

The lovely MB1 and I once drew up a list of "nearly but not quite" sig basses, including the Mandela. 

I recall we had the Lakland Clive Dunn, Lakland Daryl Hannah and Fender Roger Hargreaves amongst others. 

All of a sudden my Squier has become the Morgan Freeman Precision 😄

• Haha 1