Why become a member? ×

Is there a wanted section?

VociferousDavey

Question

10 answers to this question

Just now, ped said:

There is, but you have to have at least one post for it to become visible. This was to stop spamming. @Woodinblack it might make sense to make the forum visible but with a message to say you need a post to gain access?

That makes sense I guess! Thanks for the answer.

It’s really a quick measure to stop one particular type of spam we always used to see if the forum was visible to anyone - an account with the name ‘gear’ in the username would message people saying they have what the advertiser is looking for and ask for payment etc. I must have banned tons of them, all different IPs and locations. As soon as I made it one post to view, it stopped. I tentatively turned it back off again a year or so ago and within weeks it happened again. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

There is, but you have to have at least one post for it to become visible. This was to stop spamming. @Woodinblack it might make sense to make the forum visible but with a message to say you need a post to gain access?

I shall look into it. Although now their post count is enough to see it :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I shall look into it. Although now their post count is enough to see it :D

I think it has come up a few times before, I tried to change it but can’t remember why it didn’t work.. there was some sort of problem in front of the keyboard 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 21/10/2021 at 22:30, ped said:

It’s really a quick measure to stop one particular type of spam we always used to see if the forum was visible to anyone - an account with the name ‘gear’ in the username would message people saying they have what the advertiser is looking for and ask for payment etc. I must have banned tons of them, all different IPs and locations. As soon as I made it one post to view, it stopped. I tentatively turned it back off again a year or so ago and within weeks it happened again. 

But what if you actually do want Spam? I quite like it fried.