Why become a member? ×

Can a drum machine replace a drummer ?

martin8708

31 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The drummer drove me to the gig tonight. Drum machine can't do that!

But with no drummer one of my bands can get all the gear we need to play live with all the band members and our roadie/merch seller in a single estate car.

Edited by BigRedX

Beatbuddy is the closest thing you can get to a live drummer as you can stomp the pedal to do fills, or cymbal hits, and change between verse, chorus etc. I think it would work great to add drums to maybe a two piece of you wanted to keep things small and tidy and not have to have a full kit and drummer on a small stage. Not sure how well it would work with a full band on a large scale though. 

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

When I started out twenty years ago I saw quite a few live rock bands using drum machines pretty effectively in place of a smelly pot basher. I'd guess these days the tech is better. Persevere until you can get a real one that works for you?

The tech might be better these days, but the skill still lies with the person doing the programming.

Remember that the "drummer" on Marvin Gaye's Midnight Love album is the relatively primitive Roland TR808 - albeit backed up with some excellent programming and production.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Beatbuddy is the closest thing you can get to a live drummer as you can stomp the pedal to do fills, or cymbal hits, and change between verse, chorus etc. I think it would work great to add drums to maybe a two piece of you wanted to keep things small and tidy and not have to have a full kit and drummer on a small stage. Not sure how well it would work with a full band on a large scale though. 

You could do that with our SR16 as well. Just add a cheap foot pedal. We had a good load of the more complicated songs programmed but a lot were pre programmed beats and we added fills with the foot pedal.

Has the OP considered looking for a "drum machine / groovebox / sampler person" instead of a drummer? Modern machines often have a lot of real-time tweakability / playability, so if you replace the drummer with someone playing one or more of these machines you have a lot of scope for changing things on the fly, extending or shortening sections, warping the sounds in all manner of ways, improvising and so on; you're not restricted to having the exact same performance every time. Obviously not suitable for all genres, but can be made to work to produce interesting and dynamic performances.

11 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Funnily enough, in my 1st band back in the ATs our "drummer" programmed a basic beat into a Roland 606 (or whatever it was) which was strapped to a stringless guitar body. He jumped about with it live, and played stuff over the top. Worked surprisingly well!

This is pure genius , so reminiscent of those crazy keytar players in two tone shell suits , I would happily quit bass and become the “bez “ / scat dancer with drum box strapped to a stripped out Indonesian strat . I would probably add a bad homemade EVH frankenstrat paint job just for effect .
Lots of votes for beat buddy , I’ve seen one in action before , but not very user friendly to those who are presbyopic / over 50 , small display area and constant reading specs on + off to check patterns /bpm . 
When I came to the Isle of Wight 20 years ago   I  hooked up with singer /guitarist and did loads of duo work with a drum box , this was dropped as we progressed , and relied upon foot stomping / tambourine on ankle and giving out shakers /tambourines /percussion to the audience to join in as they see fit . We did have a drummer for big gigs ( Cowes Week / corporate stuff )  but we did a lot of gigs with just the two of us .

I like the idea of a 80’s / 90’s drum box with large display /user friendly screen / easy workflow - see , I’ve watched reverb videos on drum boxes .

As  Bigredx says , it’s down to the operator to get the best out of any unit ( which ain’t me , I’d rather re-wire the house , plumb in a bathroom , strip down the top end of the motor bike ) , 

If anyone’s drummer is coming south to the Isle of Wight to retire , we have first dibs .