Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 lower tension strings. help please.

karlfer

1 hour ago, karlfer said:

I tried the Thomastic 344's at last night's gig.

Big improvement, the Rick sounded terrific but I still don't like the feel of flats so I'm going to move them on & try those Roto 35-95 next.

Anybody got a decent substitute for the £29 Rickenbacker truss rod tool folks?

Thanks for everything folks, I think this Rick may be the one I finally get right.

I hope 😁

If you've got a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, just take the bit out and use the driver - it's 1/4". I did it last week. I thank you!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, King Tut said:

If you've got a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, just take the bit out and use the driver - it's 1/4". I did it last week. I thank you!

Thanks for that King, I have tried that but the screwdriver handle is too thick or the shaft is too short, take your pick 🤣

I bought one from Rickysounds. It didn't fit when it arrived, so got in touch with him, sent it back, and he ground off some of the leading edge. Works a treat now.

Rickysounds Truss Rod Tool

Just fitted a set of D'Addario EPS165's onto one that didn't sound right with the Dunlop DBS', which are on the other one. Sounds great now.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Misdee said:

Thomastiks on a Rick is indeed a wonderful tone, but not necessarily the right tone if you are trying to emulate Chris Squire rather than Paul McCartney (I love them both ).

If you are prepared to go that light, have you considered the Thomastik Jazz rounds?They are expensive but they have got a unique sound that I think would really work beautifully with the natural growl of a Rickenbacker. And they are very low tension.

The cost has always put me off these. It’s bearable with the flats as how often do you change flats? But with rounds, even if they last twice as long, they’re still very expensive. 

• Like 1

Very late to this thread but another thumbs up for TI's. 

I recently came within an hour of buying a new 4003S but decided to go for the Bongo at the last

minute.

I was that close to buying one, I even ordered a black replacement Truss Rod cover that arrived today. That'll teach me for being efficient...and fickle. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Did you get sorted? Just seen these

Yup, it's my advert I'm moving them on.

I tried the 35-95 Rotos that @4000 suggested. They feel great but I need to spend a little time fine tuning the setup, which I'll do week after next when I'll have time to spend a couple of hours undisturbed.

• Haha 1

On 01/11/2021 at 14:05, 4000 said:

The cost has always put me off these. It’s bearable with the flats as how often do you change flats? But with rounds, even if they last twice as long, they’re still very expensive. 

They are indeed a pricey proposition, and with the added jeopardy of being a very niche string that may well not suit a lot of folks one they have forked out for them and got them on their bass of choice.🙂 However, in terms of longevity I think they are not too different to the flats in so much as they  pretty mellow for round wounds(definitely not a string you would choose for Rotosound Swing Bass-like brightness) and they are supposed to sound progressively better as they get played and deaden-up .Potentially a great match for a Rick.

Without wishing to derail the thread, I am sure that I am not the only person who is a little bit frustrated by Thomastik's rather eccentric approach to string gauges. They make wonderful  bass guitar strings with a unique tone and then only offer them in gauges that are a compromise for many (most?) players. Myself, I would cheerfully pay the prices for a more conventionally gauged set. As it is , I use the flats on a couple of basses for my retro sound, but I would love to use the rounds too if only they would offer some semblance of a 40-60-80-100 set. Thomastiks are so hip nowadays that I am sure they would sell a lot more strings,too. They are turning their back on a load of revenue by being a bit wierd.😕

• Like 1