Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 lower tension strings. help please.

karlfer

What are you using now? For low tension* flats I heartily recommend the magnificent TI flats, and for Rounds, DR Fat Beam or Hi Beam. DRs have been a bit of a revelation for me and I now use them on everything, including my 4003!

* I know it's technically not "lower tension" but we all know what we mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Help if you can folks.

I always find string tension on my 4003s a little bit too much.

I have thought of the lower tension flatwounds but they are an expensive mistake to make.

Anybody's experience, thoughts appreciated.

Ta muchly.

What gauge do you use? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, karlfer said:

Help if you can folks.

I always find string tension on my 4003s a little bit too much.

I have thought of the lower tension flatwounds but they are an expensive mistake to make.

Anybody's experience, thoughts appreciated.

Ta muchly.

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

What are you using now? For low tension* flats I heartily recommend the magnificent TI flats, and for Rounds, DR Fat Beam or Hi Beam. DRs have been a bit of a revelation for me and I now use them on everything, including my 4003!

* I know it's technically not "lower tension" but we all know what we mean.

@karlferAs above by @Cosmo Valdemar, my string of first choice on any bass (although in one case Labella 760FL worked better) .  Wait until a set of used TIs appears here.   No problem buying used, they last forever.  I fitted a set on my G&L Sb-1  around 2011, highly used since then and they are just fine now.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks folks appreciated.

Which version of TI flats as a starting point?

@4000 happy to drop to 40-100 or even 40-95. What would you recommend, I know you are a bit Rick fan with a lot of experience (or is that taste4000, I'm old tha knows!).

I just find the Rick has a bit more tension on my usual strings.

I have some lower tension Dunlop Super Bright 45-105 on my Road Worn Jazz & they feel good a play great. Perhaps a lighter gauge in them?

Currently trying out the Galli Synthesis strings. Just put the chrome flats on my jazz, there are the most 'buttery' strings I've every tried. Haven't tried the rounds yet but will be soon. 

Synthetic core so takes a while to settle in and stay in tune. We're running a thread on that under 'fretless strings' in accessories. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, karlfer said:

Many thanks folks appreciated.

Which version of TI flats as a starting point?

@4000 happy to drop to 40-100 or even 40-95. What would you recommend, I know you are a bit Rick fan with a lot of experience (or is that taste4000, I'm old tha knows!).

I just find the Rick has a bit more tension on my usual strings.

I have some lower tension Dunlop Super Bright 45-105 on my Road Worn Jazz & they feel good a play great. Perhaps a lighter gauge in them?

Well I bought some TI flats earlier this year to try on my Rics. They were ok but not really my sound or feel, although I’m keeping them for the moment, just in case. You only ever need to buy one set! 😁Mine didn’t stay on long. I liked the general tension, which was low (obviously) but for me they seemed stiffer on the G, which is the opposite of what I prefer. After doing some comparison recordings using the same bass with various sets of strings, I didn’t feel they captured ‘my’ sound either and I could tell from the recordings how they were affecting my touch, although I’m sure that would come with time. 

I normally use either 40-100 or 40-95 Roto stainless. I imagine DRs would be not dissimilar but slightly lower tension, although more expensive, however from most reports they last quite a bit longer; I’ve never got round to trying them. Will do at some point, but I do love the sound of my Rotos and I’ve tried a lot of other strings.

I also use these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotosound-Nickel-Medium-Roundwound-Strings/dp/B002CVUNSO/ref=asc_df_B002CVUNSO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310810391039&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4676544813900326067&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046575&hvtargid=pla-351515495650&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

They're even lower tension than the TIs, sound and feel really nice (I prefer the balance of tension to the TIs and they’re very expressive strings) and cost peanuts. Maybe worth a shot at that price, although again they could be too much of a jump from what you’re using. They do a 40-100 too, but for some reason the 35-95 just seem to work better for me in this instance. Of course YMMV.

Another option would be Newtone round core. I bought some and they’re nice strings, but for some reason I ran out of intonation adjustment on my old basses (the tolerances are close at the best of times) so couldn’t use them. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Karl,

IIRC (I've been using Elixirs happily for a few years now, so I'm out of the loop of strings a bit) D'Addarios are one of the higher tension strings out there (which was their main attraction for me), so I'd brush up on your Rickenbacker truss rod adjustment skillz if you're going to drop the tension significantly... 😕🙂

• Haha 1

I've mentioned these on a few posts...

Have em on P Bitz and an Acoustic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLATWOUND-Bass-Guitar-Strings-Set-45-100-RRP-29-99-Fretless-Jazz-ADAGIO-PRO-/332636490116?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

£13 is the magic offer... Listed as Regular Tension, about the same as any round really, loverly on the acoustic

@ £13 well worth a try...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, karlfer said:

I quite like the idea of trying 35-95, however as can just about be seen by the strings vanishing into the holes, it appears RIC cut the nut with a chainsaw!

DSCF4463 (2).JPG

I’m surprised you could get normal 45-105 in there as the factory Ric set have a lighter A and D compared to most sets., 45, 55, 75, 105, and are cut for those. 

I tried the Thomastic 344's at last night's gig.

Big improvement, the Rick sounded terrific but I still don't like the feel of flats so I'm going to move them on & try those Roto 35-95 next.

Anybody got a decent substitute for the £29 Rickenbacker truss rod tool folks?

Thanks for everything folks, I think this Rick may be the one I finally get right.

I hope 😁

Thomastiks on a Rick is indeed a wonderful tone, but not necessarily the right tone if you are trying to emulate Chris Squire rather than Paul McCartney (I love them both ).

If you are prepared to go that light, have you considered the Thomastik Jazz rounds?They are expensive but they have got a unique sound that I think would really work beautifully with the natural growl of a Rickenbacker. And they are very low tension.

• Thanks 1