Why become a member? ×

Cab on stage sound

uk_lefty

What would work best for on stage sound.... 

A single 15inch cab on an angled stand?

Two fifteens stacked 

A 4x10

I have a single fifteen already. I've had two fifteens in the past and loved the sound. I know I can't just sit the single fifteen on the floor and get clarity of high end on stage or in rehearsal. Looking for the best solution and advice, please.

I stack my 210 Pro Neo cabs and I can hear really well now I’ve got wireless and the EQ right

Tethered via cable can make you stand close to the cab / cabs and virtually hear less compared to several feet away left / right or in front 

Our singer uses IEM but rest of band doesn’t 

6 hours ago, jrixn1 said:
  1. In-ears.
  2. Angled speaker in front of you (either a PA speaker or angled bass cab), since your ears point forwards not backwards.

Your ears are to either side. They're quite capable of hearing midrange coming from behind you, which is a very good thing in the event that said midrange is the breathing of a Sabre Tooth Tiger. That's not a major concern today, but it was when our hearing evolved to become what it remains. I don't care to have my rig in front of me, if only out of 56 years of habit. It just doesn't feel right. Floor wedges are placed where they are because they have to be to prevent mic feedback.

Where the OP is concerned since the 115 is what you have tilt it back, by whatever means, so that the center of the speaker is aimed more or less at your head. If you need more output then you'd want to stack a second identical 115 on top. As for the 410, it's the worst possible speaker configuration, unless one of the vertical banks of drivers are low passed. AFAIK the Barefaced Four X 10 is the only 410 with that feature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Your ears are to either side. They're quite capable of hearing midrange coming from behind you, which is a very good thing in the event that said midrange is the breathing of a Sabre Tooth Tiger. That's not a major concern today, but it was when our hearing evolved to become what it remains. I don't care to have my rig in front of me, if only out of 56 years of habit. It just doesn't feel right. Floor wedges are placed where they are because they have to be to prevent mic feedback.

Where the OP is concerned since the 115 is what you have tilt it back, by whatever means, so that the center of the speaker is aimed more or less at your head. If you need more output then you'd want to stack a second identical 115 on top. As for the 410, it's the worst possible speaker configuration, unless one of the vertical banks of drivers are low passed. AFAIK the Barefaced Four X 10 is the only 410 with that feature.

Bill, I always value your advice whether it's on a thread of mine or someone else. Thank you, you've saved me from buying a 4x10. I never knew why I didn't care for them much but was seriously thinking to give it a go!

A lot depends upon how you are using your speaker. If you can separate the on stage monitoring from the audience sound by going through the PA then this opens up all sorts of options. Does your drummer rely on your bass cab for his bass monitoring? If your bass cab can be relieved of all other duties then there are lots of solutions. Kickback cab behind you, wedge in front, smaller less directional cab or in-ears. All of these will improve your band's sound as well as improving your ability to hear what you are doing. 

If not then you only have limited options. A cab with a decent horn crossed over well down into the mids is going to be less directional. Raise your cab to ear level by buying a second cab or use something to tilt your cab so it points at your ears.

The other issue is eq. to pick out the details in your playing you need to hear the midrange essentially, boosting the mids is going to help a lot, but if your cab is what the audience hear then that probably isn't an option. I'm guessing here that you choose15'sand 4x10's because you like to shape your sound with your cabs?

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

lot depends upon how you are using your speaker.

Thanks Phil. I'm looking for a "one size fits all" solution. I'm joining a new band that play larger venues where PA provision will be better than what I was previously used to, but I can also see me needing just my amp and no PA cover for smaller gigs. Good point on the drummer, I shall ask him.

The rationale behind my choice of 15s or 4x10 was not scientifically informed. I like the sound of two fifteens having had it before. I don't like the sound of a single 2x10 or my fifteen with a 2x10, but I thought a good quality 4x10 would be a decent single cab solution. I don't find the single fifteen on its own very good but I've never angled it before. 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Thanks Phil. I'm looking for a "one size fits all" solution. I'm joining a new band that play larger venues where PA provision will be better than what I was previously used to, but I can also see me needing just my amp and no PA cover for smaller gigs. Good point on the drummer, I shall ask him.

The rationale behind my choice of 15s or 4x10 was not scientifically informed. I like the sound of two fifteens having had it before. I don't like the sound of a single 2x10 or my fifteen with a 2x10, but I thought a good quality 4x10 would be a decent single cab solution. I don't find the single fifteen on its own very good but I've never angled it before. 

Your likes and dislikes will be related to the specific cab designs, not the fact that they are 15's or 10's. I guarantee you that there plenty of 2x10s that you would love and 15's that you would hate.

• Like 1

Here's the solution I've gone for... I've invested in an Ashdown ABM Neo 1x15 cab to have a better quality fifteen. When I only need one cab I'll use this and I'll get a Markbass wedge thingy. I'll keep hold of my upgraded Rootmaster fifteen for now. For the rare occasion I need two, yes they won't match exactly, but I'll have two fifteens available. If it turns out I don't need two cabs much if ever the Rootmaster will go. If they don't sound good together the Rootmaster will go and I'll get another ABM Neo fifteen.

Thanks for all the advice everyone

• Like 1