Why become a member? ×

Running Helix into front input of amp - advice?

TobyC

Hi - I don't know if this best belongs here or in the amp section. 

I hope this is not a super simple question that has been answered many times before...

I have a TC BH800 amp which, unfortunately does not have an FX return loop. I just didn't think I would need one when I bought it recently. I would like to run a Helix (still deciding which model) into the amp. I am aware that the best option is to run into the FX return, but that is not an option for me. I don't want to have to purchase a new amp (I only just got the TC!). So my only real option is to run it into the front input and use the amp's preamp.

What advice do you have to get the best out of the Helix through this signal path? Do you keep the gain low on the TC preamp and presumably run the EQ flat on the preamp? Some say not to run amp models if going this way, but so long as the TC preamp is running fairly flat and it doesn't sound muddy then I wouldn't see a problem with this? Or is this all doomed to failure!?!

Thanks all,

Toby

Edited by TobyC
typo

You could run it into the AUX input on the back as that is a clean input for ipods etc.

I'd try that. Just ease up the volume on the helix slowly to start with as the AUX input is likely to be used to dealing with lower signal levels than the max Helix can put out.

The "don't use amp models" thing is more "don't use cab models" - You don't want to run a Cab model into a real traditional cab or it will turn into an underwater sounding muddy mess. But use everythying else as you like. A cab model into a PA or other FRFR type is fine though. But if you happen to like a cab model into a real cab - go for it!

One of the very best things about the Helix is that you can unlearn everything. Every block is just a sound manipulation block. Do you want a signal path like:

Bass - Reverb - Cab - Amp - fuzz - another amp - EQ - Wah

Then you can! There are no rules and you won't break anything.

4 minutes ago, TobyC said:

thanks @fretmeister - I had that thought about the aux input but my concern was that it, as you say, is designed for low output devices like ipods etc and perhaps is a subpar interface to the power amp. By the way you have described, it doesn't appear that you have tried this?

No - I haven't got a BH amp.

But the Helix works well at lower volume levels too - you don't damage the amp if you ease up the volume gently on the Helix and then let the amp do the hard work.