Why become a member? ×

Is anyone running Logic Pro on an M1 MacBook Air?

Velarian

It might be tempting to use one of those doobries which enables you to run multiple monitors. I am running one with an M1 MBP. When it works it is great. It does not work all the time and I have to unplug and plug stuff multiple times. So that is a non starter.

18 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have a 24" Asus 2560x1440 IPS screen that was £180. For that sort of money I would want something higher res. I mean this little 16" screen is 3456 × 2234

Yes - the 4k (3840 x 2160) version was out of stock and priced at £450 - £100 less - not sure what the reason for that is. I'm not gaming or designing anything - I just saw some excellent reviews for the Asus 27".

@Velarian I am also used to having a laptop but there aren't many occasions it goes outside the house but there are some - perhaps the Macbook route and an external monitor would be a better overall way to go.

The use of Logic is really the main thing making me think of going down the Mac route. I don't have the space for more than two monitors perhaps and I'm not building a home recording studio - that would be a) a money pit and b) a big distraction from song writing and playing - I just have a decent amount of songs written since 2007 and a couple of muso friends who keep complaining that I should make the effort to record some of them properly. 

Edited by lemonstar

On 13/12/2021 at 10:56, owen said:

It might be tempting to use one of those doobries which enables you to run multiple monitors. I am running one with an M1 MBP. When it works it is great. It does not work all the time and I have to unplug and plug stuff multiple times. So that is a non starter.

This is the only drawback to the M1 laptops, the 'official' support of only one external monitor. Like you say, 2 monitors is a hack that doesn't work consistently if at all. 

14 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Could you use the MacBook monitor and a separate external monitor to display different bits of the Logic interface? If so, I think that might be sufficient for my limited needs. 

Totally. You could buy a 65" 4K TV and have a fabulous time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The M1 Mac Mini is bigger and harder than an M1 Air. Don't let me stop you buying new kit, but the Air is a tiny downgrade from the M! (IIRC). And connectivity will mean buying a hub as well. An M1 Air will happliy run Logic and you can have a lovely time, but it will not be "better".

3 minutes ago, Owen said:

The M1 Mac Mini is bigger and harder than an M1 Air. Don't let me stop you buying new kit, but the Air is a tiny downgrade from the M! (IIRC). And connectivity will mean buying a hub as well. An M1 Air will happliy run Logic and you can have a lovely time, but it will not be "better".

Thank you, I wasn't expecting it to run any better on an Air, the Mini is fine for my needs but I'm willing to sacrifice ports for the portability of the Air 😊

For an equivalent spec the Air should be just as capable as the mini but I guess the trade-off is between connectivity and portability. The Air is so svelte it is perfect to cart around. Connectivity is easily fixed by adding a hub of some sort. My plan is to add a large monitor, keyboard and mouse to get the full desktop experience. However, one limitation with the Air is it will only drive one external monitor although that doesn’t really bother me. I believe the mini will support two monitors so that may be a consideration. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rumple said:

Thank you, I wasn't expecting it to run any better on an Air, the Mini is fine for my needs but I'm willing to sacrifice ports for the portability of the Air 😊

Portability is a very attractive thing :)

I am running a MBP with a "Pluggable" box which is enabling a twin monitor set up. It is slightly flaky with USB peripherals which means an element of unplugging and plugging in again, but for me it is worht the faff.

• Like 1

We use a Mac Mini top of the line thing and its utter dog pap. & There stupid software checker chip can cause issues

got custom installed software to control the Fan as it was literally melting it self by just running an UA console and Logic at the same time. Not really fit for purpose but thats apple for ya 

Edited by Chaddy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chaddy said:

We use a Mac Mini top of the line thing and its utter dog pap. & There stupid software checker chip can cause issues

got custom installed software to control the Fan as it was literally melting it self by just running an UA console and Logic at the same time. Not really fit for purpose but thats apple for ya 

Is that an M1 Mini or an Intel version?

The M1 Air is fan-less and still hardly breaks into a sweat. 

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

Is that an M1 Mini or an Intel version?

The M1 Air is fan-less and still hardly breaks into a sweat. 

M1 mini 

Just runs uber hot as the whole case is the heat sink in essence. I despise apple and prefer Studio one myself 

3 hours ago, Owen said:

Portability is a very attractive thing :)

I am running a MBP with a "Pluggable" box which is enabling a twin monitor set up. It is slightly flaky with USB peripherals which means an element of unplugging and plugging in again, but for me it is worth the faff.

I know earlier on I was fed up with the Pluggable box, but it turned out that I had a duff HDMI lead so that has made things a lot easier.