Why become a member? ×

Available relic'd basses

la bam

5 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

They look so artificial, just awful. 

Few relics look truly worn and aged, but some pull it off better than others (Limelight ususlly look fairly convincing) but these look pith poor.

A pickguard is supposed to look UV aged, faded and full of ingrained dirt, not like its been under the grill for 10 minutes.

Still, they're  marginally better than the DIY jobs you see where someone has simply taken a bit of wet and dry to the comfort contours.

I don't think EastGlove are intended to look as much like an authentic relic as just an unique 'distressed' finish. A bass isn't going to look like that unless it's come out of flood waters or a house fire.

Actually, I once had a chap pop through the shop with a charred telecaster. His house had burned down at some point with all his gear in it, and with the insurance settlement he bought a partscaster and gave it an extreme burned finish. He admitted he was probably still working through some issues. 😄

• Confused 1

Relic isn't my thing, but these guys (who have taken over USACG who made beautiful necks) do great work - in the US and $385 for just the body:

https://www.mjtagedfinishes.com/bass-bodies-and-necks

They'll sell you a whole kit if you call them up - they've been doing relic tele bodies for years and really know what they are doing. The pre-finish craftmanship is top notch too!

7 hours ago, Duarte said:

This is the only way to do it if you have a thick poly finish. Looks punk as hell, and infinitely better than sandpaper.

I really don't understand those Sandberg relics. For a bass to look so modern, and to have wear and tear only achievable through heavy use over 10x the number of years that such designs have even existed, is bizarre to me. 

It’s a finish - that’s it

i cannot understand why Turdburst is liked at all - but it’s available.

The modern part about sandberg is the shape since 2015, because they had to change under ‘gentle’ pressure.

Otherwise they have been going 35 years - plenty time for them to look worn.

I never really saw the appeal of a relic bass myself until I found a brand new Vintage V4 Icon for a steal at £200 so I nabbed it.
The relic-ed parts on the neck and fittings were really authentic looking but the body was terrible, looks much better after I took to it with a scalpel and some sandpaper though.

Would I buy one again? ... Meh? 

(picture on the stand is before I made it better... or worse depending on your view)

IMG_20210907_134921.jpg

IMG_20211023_101439_1.jpg

IMG_20211023_101449.jpg

IMG_20211023_144307.jpg

• Like 5

I was much the same as you @la bam when it came to relic’d basses. Just didn’t get it. But then I acquired a 2010 Road Worn P in a trade recently and love it. Might sound weird but I enjoy playing it more than my non-relic’d basses as I no longer live in fear of dinging or getting it dirty etc.

As someone else mentioned, the MIM Road Worn Ps and Js are very good indeed, so worth keeping an eye out for (the later ones have pau ferro fretboards rather than rosewood though). Of all the relics I’ve seen in the flesh, Fender are my favourite. 

1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I was much the same as you @la bam when it came to relic’d basses. Just didn’t get it. But then I acquired a 2010 Road Worn P in a trade recently and love it. Might sound weird but I enjoy playing it more than my non-relic’d basses as I no longer live in fear of dinging or getting it dirty etc.

As someone else mentioned, the MIM Road Worn Ps and Js are very good indeed, so worth keeping an eye out for (the later ones have pau ferro fretboards rather than rosewood though). Of all the relics I’ve seen in the flesh, Fender are my favourite. 

Cheers I'd love to find a 50s relic p sunburst.

6 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Needs a bit of rust and it will even look better.

Rustier knobs and plate already fitted :)  The bridge looks surprisingly shiny in the pic compared to what it is actually like.

• Like 1

Managed to find a 2nd hand mex road worn in fiesta red and gold.

Absolutely lovely thing. What a great sound! Much wider, flatter neck, but the sustain is unreal. Lovely growl to it too.

If I could find one in sunburst too, I'd have that.

20211027_155621.thumb.jpg.83ffa8fe6b28de3728acf04199bcd97a.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, la bam said:

Managed to find a 2nd hand mex road worn in fiesta red and gold.

Absolutely lovely thing. What a great sound! Much wider, flatter neck, but the sustain is unreal. Lovely growl to it too.

If I could find one in sunburst too, I'd have that.

20211027_155621.thumb.jpg.83ffa8fe6b28de3728acf04199bcd97a.jpg

Oh now that is nice. Lots of people say they're some of the best MIMs Fender have ever produced. My sunburst one has the same characteristics you speak of. It's going nowhere for now but if I'm ever tempted to sell it I'll let you know :D