Why become a member? ×

Signature basses....turn on or turn off?

martthebass

4 hours ago, Highfox said:

Flea Jazz

Jack Cassidy

and Mustang JMJ

These, and the Marcus Miller Jazz, appear to be THE signature basses out there that appeal to a wide host of bass players whether they're fans of the artists or not. Really cool basses! 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

These, and the Marcus Miller Jazz, appear to be THE signature basses out there that appeal to a wide host of bass players whether they're fans of the artists or not. Really cool basses! 

Andy the Rumblekat.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2021 at 19:59, WingedWords said:

I bought a Noel Redding Signature Jazz new in about 1997. I've never been a particular fan of Noel Redding or Hendrix. It's a CiJ 60s reissue with as far as I know no special features except a signature decal on the headstock and a marker pen signature on the scratchplate. I bought it as a budget bass to possibly defret and change pickups etc. From memory it was about half the price of a USA Standard at the time and I still feel it was better made than the USA Standard 96 P Bass I'd bought the year before. It sounds as good as any JBass I've ever played and I never changed anything on it. Still got it - I prefer my PBass, but still think the JBass is the best looking of all Leo's  designs.

You did ok there then..! Looks like it might be a nice investment piece. 

image.thumb.png.879c28717e8313d76e3f0cc8ad80881a.png

I've had all the ones I've wanted over the years - The Sparkly blue Steve Harris Fender from 2009-ish, 3 Yamaha Attitudes, Fender Geddy Lee, 80's MIJ Jazz Bass specials (not sig models I know, but bought because I was a huge Duff Fan).  The only one I've got now is the Bass Centre Guy Pratt Betsy Jazz..

I picked up a Hama Okamoto sig P bass since my earlier reply to this, but only because it's my ideal P bass, rather than any love for him. The only thing I know about him is that the newish pointy Katana is also his sig. I've checked out some of his music and it's not my cup of tea, but he has great taste when it comes to putting a sig together! 

Things I love about it......

It's a P with a J neck

Vintage gloss neck

Vintage frets

It's light

Things I like about it and are a nice touch......

Bridge cover

Lollipop tuners

PXL_20220120_123332989.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

I've had all the ones I've wanted over the years - The Sparkly blue Steve Harris Fender from 2009-ish, 3 Yamaha Attitudes, Fender Geddy Lee, 80's MIJ Jazz Bass specials (not sig models I know, but bought because I was a huge Duff Fan).  The only one I've got now is the Bass Centre Guy Pratt Betsy Jazz..

How good are the Bass Centre bases? Asking for a friend...

33 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

How good are the Bass Centre bases? Asking for a friend...

I'd say they feel very solid and seem decent quality for the price point, if a little uninspiring... I bought a lefty Jive bass with the Babicz bridge for my lefty son.

One day he'll forget about it, and I could end up with 'borrowing' the bridge and lefty neck to put on a righty P body, for me!

That would be so cool...

• Like 1

On 20/10/2021 at 11:52, tegs07 said:

I have a Geddy Lee and would very much like a JMJ Mustang. I don’t particularly like Rush but I do generally like MIJ basses and like this one. I do like JMJ but want a Mustang as I now struggle with P bass necks and I like the look and word of mouth reports of the JMJ. The actual person behind the Signature doesn’t bother me.

I too have a Geddy Lee.  Mr Lee is, of course, a bass God but I'm not a huge Rush fan. I was just after a nice JB and it just so happened the MIM GL was the nicest player for a grand.

As it happens last year I had opportunity to play and compare my MIM GL with an older MIJ GL - aside from the different bridges they were identical in appearance, indistinguishable in finish right down to the finest detail, and consequently sounded pretty much identical too (making slight allowance for different strings and set up).  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I too have a Geddy Lee.  Mr Lee is, of course, a bass God but I'm not a huge Rush fan. I was just after a nice JB and it just so happened the MIM GL was the nicest player for a grand.

As it happens last year I had opportunity to play and compare my MIM GL with an older MIJ GL - aside from the different bridges they were identical in appearance, indistinguishable in finish right down to the finest detail, and consequently sounded pretty much identical too (making slight allowance for different strings and set up).  

I’m sure the MIM Geddy Lee is every bit as good as the MIJ. Mine is a Bitsa. MIJ Geddy Lee body, Status Graphite Neck. Sounds great, nice to play- I still don’t get on with the shape of Fender Jazz basses though so may sell it at some point.

• Like 1

Two of the best Fender playing/sounding basses I have owned have been signature models - JMJ Mustang and Roscoe Beck lV. I’m not interested in buying basses because of the endorsement, it’s all about whether or not it’s a good instrument.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I'd say they feel very solid and seem decent quality for the price point, if a little uninspiring... I bought a lefty Jive bass with the Babicz bridge for my lefty son.

One day he'll forget about it, and I could end up with 'borrowing' the bridge and lefty neck to put on a righty P body, for me!

That would be so cool...

Myst admit  my 'friend' is tempted by the Leo Lyons Woodstock bass.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2021 at 10:11, 40hz said:

Finally, as many have heard me croak on about over the years, I've had a few Modulus Fleas. No other bass sounds like one of these and owning a Flea is the only way to get that sound. People will say Status necked Stingrays do, but nothing could be further from the truth. I had one and it doesn't even get close to the Fleas idiosyncratic tone.

Plus when a bass looks like this, it is always a talking point at gigs . . . 

IMG_20211030_100402822~2.jpg

I always liked the Modulus Flea basses despite not being a huge RHCP fan. There is no doubt that Flea got his best tones from his Modulus basses (other than the early days when he was using a Spector). 

What made the Status necked Stringrays sound so different? I would have thought they'd at least be in the ballpark, with some difference due to the Modulus having different electronics in it. As much as I love Status basses I wouldn't choose a Stingray with a Status neck over a Modulus Flea. 

4 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

There is no doubt that Flea got his best tones from his Modulus basses (other than the early days when he was using a WAL). 

There fixed it for you 😏

(I love Spector’s too really) 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

I always liked the Modulus Flea basses despite not being a huge RHCP fan. There is no doubt that Flea got his best tones from his Modulus basses (other than the early days when he was using a Spector). 

What made the Status necked Stringrays sound so different? I would have thought they'd at least be in the ballpark, with some difference due to the Modulus having different electronics in it. As much as I love Status basses I wouldn't choose a Stingray with a Status neck over a Modulus Flea. 

It really surprised me too, as on paper it would sound like they would be similar, but it really was quite different. The Status necked Ray was just the Ray sound but 'cleaner' (in no way a bad thing, Stingrays are my fave production basses). The Modulus has that weird, ultra-distinctive, peaky, mid-growl - sounding almost like a synth bass. I don't know what to put it down to, but they really were chalk and cheese. 

I also agree regarding his best tones. For me, the Modulus, followed by the J/J Spector NS2 from Uplift Mofo Party Plan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40hz said:

It really surprised me too, as on paper it would sound like they would be similar, but it really was quite different. The Status necked Ray was just the Ray sound but 'cleaner' (in no way a bad thing, Stingrays are my fave production basses). The Modulus has that weird, ultra-distinctive, peaky, mid-growl - sounding almost like a synth bass. I don't know what to put it down to, but they really were chalk and cheese. 

I also agree regarding his best tones. For me, the Modulus, followed by the J/J Spector NS2 from Uplift Mofo Party Plan. 

My modulus has the OBP1 with an original lane Poor so nothing like the stingray pre and pickup, would be interesting to try the obp/lane poor in my modulus neck stingray 

Edited by Bunion

I nearly bought a Marcus Miller Jazz bass once - partially because I like Marcus Miller but partially because I liked the look of the bass. In the end, if didn’t suit my playing style and the shop owner even said have you ever thought of getting a Stingray 😂 

However this is the only signature model bass I have and I really like it a lot (I also like Tim Commerford’s work). Things I like about this bass:-

1) Sounds great and plays very well

2) It sounds like a Stingray in parallel mode.

3) It has two other great sounds (single coil and series) - the latter is massive!!

4) it’s very light

5) it’s the old style pre EB bridge with through stringing and mute assembly. 
6) looks v cool - I’m a sucker for a natural ash bodied bass - black hardware and pickguard just add to that.

7) there’s only 50 of this version and as they sold out in a couple of days they’re very rare 

😎 The very dark ebony board not only looks great but is great, in combination with the slick roasted maple neck to play  

89A26D57-8EC0-43A5-BF2E-513000F205B6.thumb.jpeg.8bc55ae34de06d2ffaccb79a3b5729fc.jpeg

8A6C3C89-CEA1-45E2-BC77-18DED8461552.thumb.jpeg.a529cf48226cef26f60113fdbc2b43ba.jpeg

667BF785-87C2-4434-A863-563312FA6062.thumb.jpeg.77f42e06a183591a7f0a27a60f4b64f2.jpeg

7393B43B-A967-40FF-B9EF-D32B57F62AE5.thumb.jpeg.ff1e11b5ec6980894b8e90b6f5e5373a.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 5

On 03/04/2022 at 16:19, drTStingray said:

I nearly bought a Marcus Miller Jazz bass once - partially because I like Marcus Miller but partially because I liked the look of the bass. In the end, if didn’t suit my playing style and the shop owner even said have you ever thought of getting a Stingray 😂 

However this is the only signature model bass I have and I really like it a lot (I also like Tim Commerford’s work). Things I like about this bass:-

1) Sounds great and plays very well

2) It sounds like a Stingray in parallel mode.

3) It has two other great sounds (single coil and series) - the latter is massive!!

4) it’s very light

5) it’s the old style pre EB bridge with through stringing and mute assembly. 
6) looks v cool - I’m a sucker for a natural ash bodied bass - black hardware and pickguard just add to that.

7) there’s only 50 of this version and as they sold out in a couple of days they’re very rare 

😎 The very dark ebony board not only looks great but is great, in combination with the slick roasted maple neck to play  

89A26D57-8EC0-43A5-BF2E-513000F205B6.thumb.jpeg.8bc55ae34de06d2ffaccb79a3b5729fc.jpeg

8A6C3C89-CEA1-45E2-BC77-18DED8461552.thumb.jpeg.a529cf48226cef26f60113fdbc2b43ba.jpeg

667BF785-87C2-4434-A863-563312FA6062.thumb.jpeg.77f42e06a183591a7f0a27a60f4b64f2.jpeg

7393B43B-A967-40FF-B9EF-D32B57F62AE5.thumb.jpeg.ff1e11b5ec6980894b8e90b6f5e5373a.jpeg

Yes, I can also confirm that the Timmy C signature bass is awesome. It looks great (natural finish with black hardware, I always wanted EBMM to offer that. Wish they would do it more often) and has some cool features like the height adjustable finger ramp, the old school bridge, the string through option, the mutes and the old logo. 

1871067492_EMMStingrayTC_1.thumb.jpg.edb98766c276abb635ffcfd5f0fabb3d.jpg  

• Like 2

The Timmy C is great but it is not my fav signature bass though. That spot is taken by my Spector Euro 4 Mike Starr LE. As a massive AIC fan, I had to get it and I had the Haz 9V preamp put into it. Together with the solid maple wings and the crown inlays, it comes pretty close to a NS-2. It also has the classic Spector look - White gloss, cannot get any more 80s 😉

Well, it is the only bass in my collection that is "not for sale". All the others can (and, knowing me, eventually will ; -) go but the Mike Starr is only going to the well-known destination called NOWHERE 😉 

1183571763_8.SpectorEuroMikeStarrLE.thumb.jpg.0b68018635f8e0e556d1a0f2579032a0.jpg

1765791244_SpectorEuroMikeStarrLE_II.jpg.96a6cf3565ca12987284093c6ec0d39c.jpg

Edited by Eldon Tyrell
  • Like 4

I think for me it would depend on who the artist is, and how similar they may be to me or what I'm trying to be, silly as that may sound.  I owned a Dingwall NG-2 Nolly Getgood signature for a time but, given I play in progressive metal type bands...I dunno, it seems hard to not come across as a fan over a musician in your own right. "Look, there's a guy pretending to be Nolly..."  That new Stingray is a beauty, and I would have no qualms owning such a bass.

I'd never, ever pay a premium for the pleasure/gimmicky features, whoever the artist is.

I recently purchased a MIM fender flea roadworn for the reviews it got on the playability and tone from the vintage pickups.

I immediately changed the signed back plate for a fender ‘F’ plate and tomorrow I will be putting a Bad A$$ II bridge on it.
I like RHCP and fleas a beast but I didn’t buy it because it had his name on. 
 Do kind of like the pink roadworn though. 

• Like 2