Why become a member? ×

Signature basses....turn on or turn off?

martthebass

I currently own 2 sig basses and have owned several others. I’ve never bought for the association, only for  the fact that they’re good basses and have a particular feature or features.

A case in point, I recently bought a Roger Waters sig P bass and promptly changed the pickup, the loom, the bridge and the knobs. I wanted it purely because I wanted a good looking P with a 44mm nut thick ‘c’ neck and 9.5” radius board.

As Mart (the OP) I’m fortunate enough to own a Status CW signature. I went for that over a S2 or S3 because of the pickup position, the mid-control, the volume/blend knob position and the ‘standard’ carbon finish (that I so desired). 😍

I suppose the blue sparkle Steve Harris sigs I had were down to my curiosity (being a huge fan in my younger days) but the fact that I no longer own one suggests they weren’t quite for me.

• Like 2

I've a few sig basses , all Peaveys. Not one was bought due to the "artist" involved 🙂

Peavey Sarzo and the follow up RSB model , Ellefson Scorpio DE, Jeff Berlin Palaedium, Randy Jackson's RJ-IV and finally the Bromberg B-Quad.

All decent enough ; the stand out sig from Peavey wasn't really sold as a sig, just had the fella's initials.

Tim Landers designed TL series. Three on the right ,not the pointy one👍

1846556871_ModelTL.thumb.JPG.4e6a776ec446a3713bb2c5895f0e04af.JPG

• Like 2

To each their own but IMO they're a bit naff and 90% of the time they're charging you more for it purely because of the artist.

Take Flea's jazz bass. Brand new they're £900-£1000 for a MIM jazz. 

On the other hand Adam Getgood's signature Dingwall range was really well priced and it helped Dingwall to become more popular. (I even had one for a short while and it was a dream to play) 

I'd buy one if I got a real good deal on it I suppose, I prefer to buy budget instruments and change some things around and make it my own, rather than buying a signature series.

I’ve never owned a signature bass and probably never will. I have ideas of my own about signal chains and processing that I would rather spend my money on. The one in which I was most interested was (of course) the Rickenbacker 4001CS, which others have mentioned, but it’s way beyond my budget and there’s a risk I wouldn’t like it.  

I would consider a Stu Hamm Fender Urge because it’s a true signature bass, built to his specs from the wood up. 32” medium scale is big today, but Stu may have been the first to see the value in that. 

There is perhaps one I would jump on if I could afford it: a Status Chris Wolstenholme signature. That’s Chris’ “bread & butter” bass these days, only bringing other basses out for particular songs. The way he plays, he’s hard on the instrument, so carbon composite neck through construction makes sense. That thing looks like it would survive a nuclear war. 

Edited by bnt

Like seems to have been said several times already.....I don't/won't buy into the whole 'hero worship' of signature basses, that said, there are several I do want to try/buy......
Fender Roscoe Beck IV (no idea who he is......but saw it and thought 'WOW....COOL!')
Epi Jack Cassady (See Above - but also kinda wanna try a semi-hollow)
Fender Mike Dirnt (Do like Green Day, but mostly love the '51 shape.....so.....)

I don't own a signature bass and never have. I'm neither against them nor for them.

The closest I came to owning a signature bass (a Ricky 4001 CS) was back in the early/mid 90's when I passed up the chance to snag one new. I even played it and lusted over it. Couldn't persuade my missus at the time that it would be a good investment. We'd gone in to the music shop to try out a piano for our two boys to learn music on. Did a deal on a piano and that was that. The sequel to the story is that the piano "investment" was given to charity about 25 years later and neither of the boys took up that instrument. Hey, ho..........that 4001 CS is still out there though.

I've got a JJB Sig Precision in the works with Jon Shuker...I do love JJB (and credit him with making me want to play the bass in the first place - see another thread for details) and Precisions (well, split coil pickups in the P position), especially in black/black/maple, and of course I'm a Shuker fanboi, soooooo...it was kind of inevitable...mine, however, has a verrrry slim Jazz neck (I don't really do big necks) without dots, so it might not count... 🙂

Like BlueMoon above, I nearly bought a new 4001CS a while back (and my boss at the time was a friend of CS, so a proper signature was on the cards, too), but it all fell through. That one, though, would have remained in its case, unplayed and accumulating value...

I've also had a Jack Casady, purely because I fancied trying a semi-hollow, rather than any affinity with Mr Casady himself...and I had a Mike Dirnt, because I like the old Precision shape, rather than Mr D...

Edited by Muzz

A man with exemplary taste... 😃

About a billion years ago...well, before Covid, anyway; it's a long story, but I'm in no massive rush, and Jon and I have spoken about it frequently. I'll be picking it up sometime soon(ish), tho... 🙂

• Like 1

I've had a couple of Squier Matt Freeman P Basses, and still have the white one. Whilst I like Rancid - I've seen them live in the past and have had a few of their albums - that had no bearing on me having the bass; it's simply just a great instrument. I'd say it plays and sounds better than any MIM Precision I've had before, and the neck is a cracker.

20210515_140759.thumb.jpg.c188dcfd74cbd8b6f639d9b6630c02db.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

On 24/10/2021 at 14:27, ChrisLovatt said:

Take Flea's jazz bass. Brand new they're £900-£1000 for a MIM jazz. 

It's about £110 cheaper than the 60th Anniversary Roadworn Jazz which is £1,199, which is virtually the same spec except it doesn't have '62 pickups -as far as I can tell.

I'm happy with mine over an American Performer Jazz. I tried MIA and MIM jazz basses before choosing.

The 'Flea' signature doesn't offend me but was far from a reason to buy. I can't see why the original bass appeals to Flea for his music, but it does demonstrate that the musician matters more than the instrument when it comes to the sound.

3 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

I have a couple but the reasons or buying them was purely because of the spec, not the player.

I agree, signature basses are usually unusual or even unique specs.

My brother bought an Epiphone 'Gold Glory' which is a signature (Jared Kushmer or some other guy...) because it was outstanding for the price and pretty unique (a Les Paul with a single P90 and that's his favourite configuration).

On 25/10/2021 at 00:31, SPHDS said:

Like seems to have been said several times already.....I don't/won't buy into the whole 'hero worship' of signature basses, that said, there are several I do want to try/buy......
Fender Roscoe Beck IV (no idea who he is......but saw it and thought 'WOW....COOL!')
Epi Jack Cassady (See Above - but also kinda wanna try a semi-hollow)
Fender Mike Dirnt (Do like Green Day, but mostly love the '51 shape.....so.....)

Roscoe beck is famed blues bass player from modern times, does very good instructional videos 

3 sigs for me: 

Fender Marcus Miller Jazz (2011) - Prefer non-70s spacing it seems

Dingwall NG3 (2017) - Wasn't a fan of purple but all they had  at the time, also sold it because seems a bit ostentatious for a bedroom player at the time.

Yamaha RBXJM2 (2003)

The Yamaha is the only one still here. I'm a massive John Myung fan, which ticks one box - but it's actually something suitable for me. I can't think of any other 6 string basses with a lone big fat MM pickup in the sweet spot (Bongo aside, but they cost like - a lot). Neck is great, spacing perfect and looks cool. 50/50 going to get it refinished as the Plum Pearl Metallic is looking a little tired. That said, I don't really fancy the new Bongo JM sig, too black and I like to see pole pieces on those pickups. Plus it costs 3 months mortgage.

I bought a Noel Redding Signature Jazz new in about 1997. I've never been a particular fan of Noel Redding or Hendrix. It's a CiJ 60s reissue with as far as I know no special features except a signature decal on the headstock and a marker pen signature on the scratchplate. I bought it as a budget bass to possibly defret and change pickups etc. From memory it was about half the price of a USA Standard at the time and I still feel it was better made than the USA Standard 96 P Bass I'd bought the year before. It sounds as good as any JBass I've ever played and I never changed anything on it. Still got it - I prefer my PBass, but still think the JBass is the best looking of all Leo's  designs.

20200609_110814.thumb.jpg.c9b0db73668da6c69f8af1bd253de8b5.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Roscoe beck is famed blues bass player from modern times, does very good instructional videos 

Oh.....I know that NOW....! (and he is very good....!), just meant, back when I was starting out, and got hold of a Fender catalogue...... The Roscoe Beck IV caught my eye......but had never heard of him (I knew who Hoppus, Pastorius and Sumner were....just not Mr Beck, in the Sig section)
(As I said, same with the JC......liked the bass, looked the artist up.....!)

I only own two:-

1. A Fender Custom Shop Pino Precision; not for the name, but at the time it was the only Fender USA precision in fiesta red with tort and rosewood available. Very lightweight and resonant with hot pickup.

2. A Fender Mex Reggie Hamilton jazz bass. I just fancied a PJ and glad I bought it. Extremely flexible 18v preamp with powerful J and P tones. I can see it becoming my main gigging bass.

I've never had an issue with signature basses. I treat each bass on it's own technical merits. Quite often Sig basses offer something you can't get elsewhere, spec or finish wise. I would never rule any instrument out on grounds such as "it has someone else's name on the headstock" especially given nobody in the crowd is going to remotely know who that person is, what they're looking at, or 90% of the time, what a bass player is.

I had a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass because of the shaved neck, upgraded pickups and block inlays (not offered elsewhere at the time under £1000). I had absolutely no idea who Geddy Lee even was! 

I've also owned the Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, purely for the 70s spacing, pre-amp, and finish. Again, I don't really listen to his work and I'm not into the solo bassist thing.

Finally, as many have heard me croak on about over the years, I've had a few Modulus Fleas. No other bass sounds like one of these and owning a Flea is the only way to get that sound. People will say Status necked Stingrays do, but nothing could be further from the truth. I had one and it doesn't even get close to the Fleas idiosyncratic tone.

Plus when a bass looks like this, it is always a talking point at gigs . . . 

IMG_20211030_100402822~2.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 23/10/2021 at 21:31, Maude said:

I suppose I've had three sig basses over the years but have always found the concept a bit daft, until about a fortnight ago 😉

I wouldn't necessarily buy a bass because of the link to a certain player, but strangely it would put me off buying one if I didn't like the player/band. I'll happily buy a sig just because I like the bass though, above clause dependent. 

My first real bass, after a plywood SG, was a Yamaha Attitude Special. The bloke in Mansons told me it was based on the proper Attitudes that Billy Sheehan uses, Billy who? I'd never heard of Billy Sheehan but the bass was the coolest thing I'd ever seen and came home with me. 

Second, many years later is a Epiphone Jack Casady. They'd always been on my radar as a bass to try but I was just never 100% sold on the looks, then they brought out the faded Pelham Blue with a stained wood back. Oh my! 

Then the one that changed my view on sigs. The Yamaha BBPH (Peter Hook). 

Even when they came out in very limited numbers I was still telling myself not to be so stupid. Then one came up at a decent price s/h and I couldn't help myself, being a huge Joy Division/New Order fan. Sure I could've just picked up a BB1200s but I actually wanted what Hooky uses now, and I'm so glad I did, they are wonderful basses. I've since bought an EHX Bass Clone (better than a Clone Theory IMO) and have spent many a happy hour just being Hooky.

Yes it's sad, and no I don't care! 😄

All three of these are, in my view, different enough from a standard or close variant to warrant being viewed as being a totally different bass. 

agunaAj.jpeg

Since that post I've actually gone full circle and have bought a Yamaha Attitude Ltd 2. 

It's an absolutey monstrous beast of a bass in every respect. 

I bought it, not for the Billy Sheehan link, but because I love Yamaha basses, they sound amazing, and it came up at a very good price ten minutes from home. 

I am not disappointed. 

🙂👍

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Since that post I've actually gone full circle and have bought a Yamaha Attitude Ltd 2. 

It's an absolutey monstrous beast of a bass in every respect. 

I bought it, not for the Billy Sheehan link, but because I love Yamaha basses, they sound amazing, and it came up at a very good price ten minutes from home. 

I am not disappointed. 

🙂👍

They are awesome basses. Mine is in the shop having some wiring done at the moment. Can’t wait to have it back! 

• Like 1