Why become a member? ×

Signature basses....turn on or turn off?

martthebass

In my covid induced brain fog this morning for some reason I started thinking about signature basses, life the universe and everything.  After a few minutes I realised I wasn't going to get too far on the latter 3 but I did continue to think about signature basses and my realisation was that, without any conscious intention, I have ended up with 3 of my 6 basses being signature models; a JMJ Mustang, a Mikey Way Mustang and a Chris Wolstenholme Status S2.  So on this, of those of you owning signature basses was it on the same 'coincidental' basis or was it a need to own the bass of your hero(es), or if you don't have one is it because you think they are a bit naff?  

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

If i have signature instruments, it's because I have played them and liked them

Currently I have a Tom Delonge squier strat - hardtail, single humbucker, no frills rock machine

a bc rich Mick thompson archtop bich (was going to be a sig model, but he moved to ibanez as they manufactured them!) Great sound and look

a Zakk Wylde epiphone LP - which arrived in the guitar shop I was working in on the day my Nan died, so I bought it in memory of her

a steve harris P - I'm a bit of a harris nerd, but this is quite simply THE best P bass I have ever played (and it was a gift)

Dean Demonator - David Vincent designed sig model - Meaty sounding and a great slightly edgy look

8 minutes ago, martthebass said:

In my covid induced brain fog this morning for some reason I started thinking about signature basses, life the universe and everything.  After a few minutes I realised I wasn't going to get too far on the latter 3 but I did continue to think about signature basses and my realisation was that, without any conscious intention, I have ended up with 3 of my 6 basses being signature models; a JMJ Mustang, a Mikey Way Mustang and a Chris Wolstenholme Status S2.  So on this, of those of you owning signature basses was it on the same 'coincidental' basis or was it a need to own the bass of your hero(es), or if you don't have one is it because you think they are a bit naff?  

I have a Geddy Lee and would very much like a JMJ Mustang. I don’t particularly like Rush but I do generally like MIJ basses and like this one. I do like JMJ but want a Mustang as I now struggle with P bass necks and I like the look and word of mouth reports of the JMJ. The actual person behind the Signature doesn’t bother me.

• Like 1

The only signature bass I have ever owned is the Epiphone Jack Casady signature.  The Jack Casady association was not the motivating factor for my acquisitions - it probably helps that it's not a reimagining of a currently available base model - it's the only affordable AND readily available way to own something approaching a Gibson Les Paul Signature bass.

13 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I have a Geddy Lee and would very much like a JMJ Mustang. I don’t particularly like Rush but I do generally like MIJ basses and like this one. I do like JMJ but want a Mustang as I now struggle with P bass necks and I like the look and word of mouth reports of the JMJ. The actual person behind the Signature doesn’t bother me.

I suppose of the 3 'sigs' I have the JMJ was the one I bought 'unplayed' on the basis of the great reviews.  I couldn't see the JMJ spec in any of the other new Mustangs at the time and the sound of the SD pup sold it to me.  I hadn't a clue who Justin Meldal Johnsen was but I did like the bass.  BTW, if you haven't played one do try to, while it's a 30" scale the neck is more of a handful than a standard Mustang, more precision than Jazz. I like it but if the thicker profile is why you're now not enjoying the p?

• Thanks 1

I've never bought a signature bass because of the name attached but I did have some signature basses along the line which I came to my attention mainly due to the name (either liking their music or playing or approach:

- The Ibanez Gary Willis basses are simply some of the best designs for me in ergonomics. Would love to own one again

- Geddy Lee bass: loved the skinny neck and the sound especially digging in, would still have it if it had 5 strings

- John Myung Yamaha II, the one with the single MM pickup, didn't like it much but wanted to try because of the 34" tight spacing and MM pu, didn't like much

Would like to have a Spector Alex Webster mark II without the splatter decal as I like the specs (neck, ebony fretboard, SD pu and DG preamp) Also Alex is a great player and likeable person but it is the specs that does for me, not the name. 

I have no issue if others buy signature basses purely because of the artist, I think it is great.

• Like 2

I've never owned a signature model of a bass -- apart from my Me-signature Shuker :lol: and I suppose at a stretch my Sire V7 fiver... it does say 'Marcus Miller' on the headstock after all -- but I would consider one if it was different from the normal base-model in some way and those differences meant that I preferred it or it suited me more. The aforementioned Sire is a case in point here... the differences between it and a Fender J 5-string mean that I far prefer the Sire.
I would never buy a signature bass purely because an idol of mine had his name on it.

• Like 2

I'll be honest, I bought my Fender Marcus Miller, and Sire V7 because I'm a massive Marcus fan , but I kept them because they are great basses. I bought my Ibanez Gary Willis bass because I thougjt it was the best 5 string fretless in it's price range, and I bought my Yamaha Attitude because it was cool and a great price.

I don't have an issue with signature basses, although I have dismissed a couple of really nice instruments because of the player association (I'm looking at you, Ibanez K5, with your horrible inlay)

• Like 1

I’ve never really gone for signature instruments although I did dally with the idea of a Marcus Miller Fender Jazz at one time - to the extent of trying them out UNTIL ……. this wonderful beauty appeared. It’s currently my number 1 player

84115CA3-E75C-49A3-9DA8-178E3363EE16.thumb.jpeg.81bc45075b3dcde5e5053f66dc4b4135.jpeg8ADC641C-7BF3-4D46-B9D7-4E4A2E53DE00.thumb.jpeg.6a73656ae71f3554662b0585626fcb63.jpeg
610AEBBF-A3F3-47C4-824C-E27927D281C9.thumb.jpeg.20cb9197b4afaa52c5b9959687ab438f.jpeg

Yes - it’s a Tim Commerford signature Stingray Special - passive, long scale. (Offensive wallpaper courtesy Messrs Greene King 😂). Absolutely great bass and sufficiently different from a standard spec Stingray Special to justify the name (and price IMHO). 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 6

It depends on the instrument. There are a few sig basses that I would have loved but the name placement or design stopped that. 

The Spector Ian Hill and Fender Sting both have that monstrous 12th fret inlay, and one of Fender's Steve Harris Precisions had the West Ham logo on the body. That's just asking for trouble on certain pub gigs! Why it wasn't a removable decal like on the Roger Waters bass is beyond me.

Green Day's Mike Dirnt had the right idea - he made sure his signature wasn't visible on the front so the Green Day connection didn't serve as a deterrent.

• Like 2

I have a JMJ Mustang and its purely coincidental, great spec, cool looks (IMHO) sounds ace, solid ... whilst I totally respect Mr JMJ  I only own this particular bass cos of the spec as it prefect for me ... might not be for others

• Like 2

The only sig bass I have had, over the years, was a Japanese Geddy Lee I picked up in a trade and quickly moved on as I'm in a happy place when it comes to Jazz basses.

I do have a very rare Tony Iommi signature Patrick Eggle, based on their tasty Vienna model, which I bought new 26 years ago. I managed to visit the factory in Coventry around 1997, when they were working on an SG styled model for him, and they said only 48 of them were ever made. I'm tempted to pick up one of those Lakland GZ models for the craic, I quite like the purple 😁

I went for the Geddy Lee jazz because it was one of the nicest all round basses at any price that I've  ever played.

Im a Rush fan, so Geddy's signature is all to the good, but it doesn't  really matter to me, that's not why I bought it - it could have been a Hilda Ogden signature bass and it would have made no difference to me.

Just so long as its not a Jimmy Savile signature job...

20 minutes ago, chris_b said:

No interest here. I haven't found a signature bass that was any better than the generic model it was based on, and they're usually more expensive!!

Totally agree. Puts me off. The 'signature' is normally some kind of mod that suits that player, his style, strings, live sound etc etc.
I dallied recently with a Martin 000 acoustic, good used about 2.5k, Eric Clapton signature version a few hundred more plus it has a bloody signature on the actual fingerboard. Bunch of a*se.

I was pretty annoyed when the Mikey Way Mustang came out (due to the band affiliation!), it would have been my dream colour scheme but with a regular Mustang pickup and the same neck profile as my 70's one. Still kinda fancy picking one up someday but they don't come up much.

Nothing else signature wise really floated my boat, but never say never!

• Like 1

I've had a few signature basses over the years but all entirely coincidentally and purchased as they were fantastic instruments in their own right.  The sig designation neither turns me on or off, if it's a great instrument that fits my needs, then I'm happy with whatever it might say somewhere on the bass or the accompanying documentation.  I have a couple at the moment, a Stanley Clarke and a Wilcock Mullarkey: both outstanding shorties and neither with any kind of identifying logo (not that it would really bother me).  Neither with any kind of price premium either as far as I know, though both were bought used.  I might hesitate to buy a price-hiked sig bass that was no different/better than its 'standard' counterpart.    

Edited by three
  • Like 1

I've owned a Nate Mendel P and a Geddy J.  Both were sadly boat anchors and became difficult for me to gig so they had to go.  I have since commissioned a Sandberg 'Geddy' bass but with pickups in the 60s position which is my preference.

Token Sandberg pic

80354970_TTGeddy04.thumb.jpg.358b03111602b3069d80011d55f47113.jpg

• Like 5