Why become a member? ×

‘Custom Shops’

rogo

I always see these ludicrously expensive (albeit lovely) custom shop basses, be it fender or someone else, and I assume that someone must’ve ordered them at one point, but just out of interest, has anyone here ordered a custom shop bass? What was it like? What’s the process? Can you have whatever you want or are there set options?

cheers 

Have been looking at the G&L custom shop basses. I haven't  ordered from them so don't have experience of that but out if interest they do have a list of the custom options available which are quite extensive; neck radius, nut widths, frets, lacquer finish, neck woods, body woods, binding, pickup windings etc. 

Quite fancy their version of a jazz with a vintage neck radius.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rogo said:

I always see these ludicrously expensive (albeit lovely) custom shop basses, be it fender or someone else, and I assume that someone must’ve ordered them at one point, but just out of interest, has anyone here ordered a custom shop bass? What was it like? What’s the process? Can you have whatever you want or are there set options?

cheers 

I think there's loads of variance, from the big production brands like Fender who run a custom shop to the bespoke builders who only make to order. Not all Fender custom shop instruments are made to order, I've heard some retailers have to buy and stock X amount of "custom shop" instruments....

The only Fender custom shop bass I've ever held in my hands and played was ordered by an ex band mate who spent £2000ish and waited a year or two for it. They now cost around double that for those available in shops and the wait is probably longer if you want one built to your spec. It looked great it played.......... Ok. It wasn't for me, aside from the false ageing which looked good I couldn't really see where the money had gone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boodang said:

Have been looking at the G&L custom shop basses. I haven't  ordered from them so don't have experience of that but out if interest they do have a list of the custom options available

The vast majority of the G&L options are available on the standard built-to-order "Option Order" instruments, so they're no more expensive than the ready-built ones they supply to retailers. You just have to wait a while: waiting time is creeping up towards six months.

Their "Custom Shop" costs quite a bit more, adds a few more exotic options, and allows for proper customisation, eg fitting L-2000 humbuckers onto a Jazz.

Personally I think that if you're ordering a custom instrument, the best thing to do is find a builder who makes what you want and let them do their thing without being too picky. 

When I ordered my F Bass I knew that they made the instrument that I wanted, so all I had to do was spec my wood combination, string spacing, and finish. I could no doubt have gone in to more detail, but I just wanted them to do what they do. If I wanted something different, I would have gone to a different luthier.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have had a Fender Custom shop P bass. It was a lovely bass and probably the best P bass I have played. 

However I have 2 Alpher custom basses and even though the guys can do pretty much anything you could want, I agree with @Doddyfind the luither you trust and let them make many of the decisions as they know what will work a lot better than I do.

Bottom line, I would highly recommend a custom bass that is exactly what you want, but play one of the builders instruments first to make sure you like what they make. 

I bought my Fender CS stackpot Jazz off the shelf from a 'box seller', which, while ludicrously expensive, is pretty much exactly what I would order as a custom build. But that's just luck - the whole point of a custom build is to get exactly what you want, and any luthier worth the name should be able to deliver. Long wait though.

Edited by Skin Lewis

When John Entwistle commisioned a bass, did he have one bass delivered? No, he had four made and decided which one was the one. I think this is the level to which we should aspire. Order 4 identical Custom Shop basses, pick the one your hands and ears like best and make a wincingly painful loss on the other three  :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When John Entwistle commisioned a bass, did he have one bass delivered? No, he had four made and decided which one was the one. I think this is the level to which we should aspire. Order 4 identical Custom Shop basses, pick the one your hands and ears like best and make a wincingly painful loss on the other three  :drinks:

I like it!!