Why become a member? ×

Bypassing amps preamp

Freddi375

Hey guys, 

I've just purchased a Quilter Bass block 802 amp head and am looking at using my sadowsky preamp pedal by bypassing the amps preamp. I read somewhere that I need to plug the pedal directly into the return, although as its part of my pedal board and being the last in the chain, will my effects before the preamp work okay? And do I plug my bass separately into the amp input or directly into the first pedal in the chain (tuner)? Sos for the noob question, but struggling to find a diagram.....

Thank you

3 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just for interest why didn't you just buy a power amp for the Sadowsky to drive? I would have thought that would have been cheaper.

A BassBlock is pretty much just a small power amp with limited added preamp features at no extra cost.

Properly safety rated micro power amps are slim pickings. 

• Like 2

I often use an Ashdown Retroglide in the same way.  It’s a power amp with a graphic eq in front, so set it flat and that’s what you get.  It’s nice to have the front end eq for room adjustments, but the amp doesn’t have a “sound” of its own.  Perfect for Sadowsky or Sansamps etc

I do exactly what you do Freddie and it works really well for me.  My amp (an Agi DB750) has both a 'return' and a 'preamp in' - I use that latter but it's the same kind of thing.  I really like the power amp of the 750 but I'm not a massive lover of valve front-ends/preamps.  So, it's either a Hellborg or Mesa solid state pre straight into the Agi's power section.  If I want to use effects (which is rare), I can use the send and return of the Hellborg.  Lovely and still a fairly simple set up.