Why become a member? ×

anyone else hate the bass bigmuff

sky

of all the 3 pedals ive ever owned, the one i hated most was the ehx bass big muff it was just such a horrible raspy fuzz, personally i prefer the effect i get from a boss ds1 which is nowhere near as popular as the big muff for bass, just wondering if anyone else shares my thoughts because it seems that pedal is very popular. maybe i just dont like fuzz i guess?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try a green russian of some sort, there's loads out there. A totally different flavour despite the bass big muff being based on it. 

This was the cheapest I could find at a glance (no affiliation) and they sound huge. IMO much bigger and thicker than the bass big muff. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electro-Harmonix-Green-Russian-Big-Muff-Good-Condition-/373761665694?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 2

I just got the deluxe big muff today, I like it better than my joyo octive fuzz, I'm getting rid of the joyo now.

Been having a blast for the last few hours. Trying to figure out a good pedal chain order? Suggestions welcomed. I got a demonfx horizon overdrive and a providence bass boot compressor, been switching the 3 pedals around and spinning the knobs.

I generally like Big Muffs, but the EHX Bass version is far from the best one- If I was going to use an EHX one, I'd go for the Green Russian over the Bass version.

I think that other companies make better Muff pedals, my personal favourites being the Greer 'Tarpit',and the Nine Volt 'Fishing is as fun as fuzz'.

• Like 1

You've reminded me, so thanks. A while back, in a fit of boredom, I bought a Green Russian. I have no idea why because to my mind, fuzz on bass is bloody awful noise. I'll be putting it in the F/S section soon as I get round to doing some pictures.

Edited by Japhet

I thought the Big Muff was okay, some pre/post EQing to your taste it sounds better (but so do most pedals), suppose it depends if you like muff type fuzz or not though. MXR Brown Acid is the muff for me!

Something to consider though is how these will be used in a band setting and what an audience will hear when it's played through an amp and compressor and Bass cab.  I've recently got the Idiotbox Landphil wich is a Rat type distortion/fuzz, it's less warm and fuzzy than muff fuzzes - more harsh and 'ratty', not so nice on the ears if playing solo'd at home via headphones with only that pedal in the chain - but play it through preamp/compressor/bass cab played along with other instruments at volume and that harshness goes and it still stands out whereas muff type fuzz can get a bit muddy and lost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not all Big Muffs are the same and the Bass Big Muff is definitely not my favourite but it’s useable. I prefer the green Russian Big Muff but my personal favourite is the Grey Stache from Fuzzrocious as i can boost the mids. I have one with 2 gain stages which is really useful! 

On 20/10/2021 at 12:44, NewUser said:

Can we just all set our differences aside and come together and agree that the deluxe big muff is the greatest pedal ever made?

On 20/10/2021 at 12:50, Doddy said:

No 😛

And no. 😁

I’ve owned about 4 bass big muffs as every time I want that sound I get one and then soon get sick of it… but I just keep coming back! 

That was until I tried the green Russian version. I’m stunned by how good it sounds, not just compared to the bass big muff or others I’ve had but just as a new pedal… it’s really hard to get a bad/unusable sound from it. When I got it I blew about an hour I didn’t have, because I just couldn’t stop playing it. I’m pretty confident I’ll be sticking with that one now

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had an EHX Bass Big Muff since that version was released I’m thinking 2009ish. Since then I’ve had a love hate relationship with it. I am currently playing through an Orange TB and that particular amp hates the big muff. I cannot get anything close to what my previous amp sounded like with the big muff through it. Honestly I really don’t need a fuzz or overdrive pedal as the Orange TB has a distinct growl already. So now I have a pedal that will collect dust. I hate to get rid of it but I can’t see myself using it much.