Why become a member? ×

NBD - NS NXT E U B

Grahambythesea

I found Jazz Upright Bass Featuring Ed Friedland book & CD very good at teaching the basics of fretting and pizz hand techniques. The techniques are applicable to many other musical styles as well though.

Depending on what you want to play on it, you might want to raise the action as high as it will go as a starter - it tends to be really low on these. 

44 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Thanks for the suggestion. The only ones I can find on the web are DVDs. Did you find it in book form?

Sorry yes maybe it was just a DVD, with a little booklet containing the exercises. I tried a couple of others, which were just waffle, Ed's DVD got me started properly using the right posture and hand positions etc.  

image.png.3ff269fe9c67ec740848a28f02fb8765.png

Edited by petebassist
  • Like 1

Left hand = totally different.  The scale is too big for one finger one fret.  You need to use 1:2:4 right the way up to first finger on D on the G string, then, usually 1:2:3.

Evidently this means more position changes and it's easy to get lost.  I think some nxt basses have a little "false heel" on the back of the neck, where the neck of a double bass would join the body.  Thumb on that and your first finger will be on a D on the G string.  Total godsend.  If it's not fitted, fit one.

It's perhaps the dullest book on earth, but the Simandl New Method ( it's ancient) is a good foundation for upright bass technique.  Also David Heyes "daily exercises for double bass" is a good workout.

On the other hand there's a lass in my home town who never got beyond clamping her whole hand around the fingerboard ( bunch o bananas style ) and simply moving her whole hand up and down.  She plays in tune, can sing whilst doing it and knows a million bluegrass tunes .... she gets loads more work than me ☹️

• Like 2

I think another VERY important point is to practice relaxing each hand at a time (with and without playing anything). Just try putting each hand in position relaxing and then playing a note, trying that a few times. This will help you get a good hand position as well as relaxing. 

I play double bass and electric. I also own an NS CRT EUB. Each is definitely a different beast. 

Although the NS EUB is very similar to a double bass it’s not free standing as it’s on a stand so I feel myself tensing up occasionally because it doesn’t move around freely like a double bass. Hence it can be a slightly different beast to play and why you need to relax. Forcing a hand position on something that isn’t moving freely can add more pressure and feel harder to play. So yeah practicing relaxing and good hand shape. 👍👍👍

I got my NXT 5A not long ago. If you haven't already done so, think about changing the stock strings. The 'traditional' set of strings will make it sound a bit more 'authentic', and then there are the various other brands of double bass strings that will move further in that direction. Also @TheG is right, it doesn't move on the stand so feel free to move more in relation to the the bass itself. ALSO there is the endpin stand accessory, which is expensive. I have one but haven't particularly bonded with it, and I've gone back to the tripod for now. 

• Like 1

I’d recommend getting some lessons. You’ll also likely find that as soon as you play a real DB you’ll want one (I know I did).

The DB does something to people that I don’t quite understand. I could basically play 5 notes in tune and got gigs. It really is that easy (and I was rubbish). 

It’s like being the popular kid at school…

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I am looking for a tutor. I like the idea of being the popular kid in school 🤣 but I don’t have room at home for a DB, the EUB seems to be taking up enough space.

Yes, I get that. In the end, we built a room around the DB (as preposterous as that sounds, it's true). In the end we converted my loft and I've got the DB up there now. It's a great adventure that never ends...

On 21/10/2021 at 17:29, NickA said:

It's perhaps the dullest book on earth, but the Simandl New Method ( it's ancient) is a good foundation for upright bass technique.  Also David Heyes "daily exercises for double bass" is a good workout.

A big +1 on both the importance and the dullness of Simandl. There are other fingering systems but I'd start with this as it'll get you playing in tune more quickly than if you just try and adapt your BG technique.

On 25/10/2021 at 19:11, Grahambythesea said:

the popular kid in school

It is nice to be made welcome.  But once they know you have a double bass, you'll never get to play electric again.

Same goes for my clasical playing; no one wants me to bring my cello ( except for a tiny chamber orchestra in a tiny church, where the dB just doesn't fit!)

14 hours ago, NickA said:

It is nice to be made welcome.  But once they know you have a double bass, you'll never get to play electric again.

Same goes for my clasical playing; no one wants me to bring my cello ( except for a tiny chamber orchestra in a tiny church, where the dB just doesn't fit!)

It sometimes works the other way round - you learn to play on acoustic upright, then when you start gigging you start looking around for an EUB that can sound similar to an amplified acoustic, and is easier to transport and fit into smaller venues. 😉 

19 hours ago, NickA said:

Well that might be nice. Give a chance to sell the BGs on the rack, but judging by the state of Bass Marketplace at present, which seems rather slow, that may be a bit hopeful.

• 1 month later...

As mentioned elsewhere, I've owned an NXT5 for just under two weeks.  From barely being able to get a proper note out of it, I'm beginning to feel more capable now.

Never really played with my fingers, so speed/blisters is currently an issue.  I will not be taking lessons or watching tutorials; I know enough to get me by, so it's more a case of adapting to play what I do know.

These things need side dots or LEDs as standard...bought a sheet of adhesive stars to give me something of a guide.