Why become a member? ×

Imagine you can only find the bass of your dreams in the righthanded version. Would you buy it?

BELA

Hello:

Let´s pretend you have this special bass that you have been drooling over since the mid 80´s.

It is almost impossible to get a second hand one and although they are still being produced new, it is just not the same bass...you know.

Then you find an used one. Good condition and very good price but...it is righthanded.

Would you buy it?

It would be played (not as a main bass) and admired.

Would you?

Presume your 'Left Wing' then?

Depends... a Jazz spun over would have all the bumps in all the wrong places!.. and don't think a Rick would work. P-ish would be OK ala Jimmi's Strat, and a lot of the 80s Westone, Arai Ibanez twin cuts are quite symetrical-ish... and even more so with something EB SGish... Flying V!.. Single Cuts would look more on the wonk than a Jazz... Then again Wonky Jazz could be the next big thing!

Whats on ya mind?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Presume your 'Left Wing' then?

Depends... a Jazz spun over would have all the bumps in all the wrong places!.. and don't think a Rick would work. P-ish would be OK ala Jimmi's Strat, and a lot of the 80s Westone, Arai Ibanez twin cuts are quite symetrical-ish... and even more so with something EB SGish... Flying V!.. Single Cuts would look more on the wonk than a Jazz... Then again Wonky Jazz could be the next big thing!

Whats on ya mind?

1999 Warwick Thumb NT5

Looks like it would be playable sitting down, If its just a Nut-Job to sort you could always put it back and pass on if or when a lefty appears.

Each to there own and all that...

'Warwick Winkle' shape is not my cup of tea... I'm more a plain Ibby SR fan then P then Jazz.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

I started off playing a right handed Hondo flipped (I got it for £40), it was symmetrical, so looked ok, I took off the volume and tone controls because I kept catching them with my arm (after the photo was taken), I used it for quite a while I've still got it, it still sounds good and has  nice neck, heavy though,, bit more trebly, than a precision, sounds a bit more like J J Burnel, surprisingly.  Would I do the same now? probably not.

My wonderful Bass.jpg

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Thanks 1

No I wouldn't. It couldn't be my dream bass if I couldn't play it and turning it upside down would bring so many compromises that it would not be my dream bass.

In any case, I have all my dream basses now.😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Not a chance.  It would have happened by now if I was so inclined.  One of the silver linings of being a lefty is it's a giant wet blanket for G.A.S. spending!  Although the amount of lefty stuff on the internet has changed things slightly as there are more than ever before for sale from all over the place.  I never thought I would own a non-reverse Firebird copy, but a company in Bratislava did indeed make a run of them about 10 years ago so there you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Agent 00Soul said:

I never thought I would own a non-reverse Firebird copy, but a company in Bratislava did indeed make a run of them about 10 years ago so there you are.

Ah, then you probably have one of the Bachbirds. If so, they're actually Czech, not Slovakian. A Dutch bass player (and now also luthier) I know helped create that model IIRC. He was their Dutch distributor for a while, and is a real Gibson nut. He stood at the origin of several other Gibson-inspired models, like an EB-2 semi-hollowbody (which they accidentally turned into a longscale model) and a John Entwistle Fenderbird copy. 

Edit: he might just be a member here too. Paging @Basvarken 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

On 22/01/2022 at 10:34, LeftyJ said:

Ah, then you probably have one of the Bachbirds. If so, they're actually Czech, not Slovakian. A Dutch bass player (and now also luthier) I know helped create that model IIRC. He was their Dutch distributor for a while, and is a real Gibson nut. He stood at the origin of several other Gibson-inspired models, like an EB-2 semi-hollowbody (which they accidentally turned into a longscale model) and a John Entwistle Fenderbird copy. 

Edit: he might just be a member here too. Paging @Basvarken 

I was able to buy a hardcase from him for this bass.  I didn't realize the Bachbird was so long that it wouldn't fit in a regular case.  And Bach was all out by the time I decided to buy one but luckily he had one for sale

Sanford_reduced.jpg

Edited by Agent 00Soul
  • Like 1