Why become a member? ×

Best Headphones for Practise?

thebrig

Can anyone recommend a decent pair headphones for practise at home?

I'm looking for something that can handle the bass well, but also be detailed enough to make the backing tracks I play along with sound half decent as well.

I would prefer the cable to be detachable, but its not necessarily a deal breaker.

Up to £150 is my budget.

Edited by thebrig

I’ll kick it off with a budget option - Sennheiser HD201’s. Around £30 and a lot better than they should be. I hate headphones generally, but have found these pretty good for using at home with a small Allen & Heath mixer. Comfy to wear and sound fine.

Anyway, am sure there’ll soon be more exotic suggestions below. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

I’ll kick it off with a budget option - Sennheiser HD201’s. Around £30 and a lot better than they should be. I hate headphones generally, but have found these pretty good for using at home with a small Allen & Heath mixer. Comfy to wear and sound fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check them out, especially at around £30 🙂

• Like 1

The ones I use depend on how much extenal noise there is as I like to avoid having to turn up loud to properly hear it:

• Sennheiser HD-25. Great at blocking out external noise but are quite uncomfortable for long sessions, quite a bass heavy sound.
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50X. Block out some external noise and are in-between in terms of comfort, clearer sounding than the HD-25 but still quite heavy on the bass.
  • Sennheiser HD 598SR. Open back and let in almost all external noise so only really work if you're playing in a quiet room but are comfortable for long sessions and have an 'open' sound rather than feeling you have speakers clamped to your ears, less bass heavy than the other two.

Audio Technica MTH-M50X. One of the best all round headphones at any price for music practice and productuon, and well in budget at about £120.

However, something the Sennheiser HD206 is 90% as good for 35% of the price, so there's a lot of scope for something very decent for less cash.

On 19/10/2021 at 15:59, casapete said:

Another vote for these!

When mines break. I'll be getting another set

Edit: sorry mine are the ,206s, but seem almost the same

Edited by Elfrasho
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

Another vote for these!

When mines break. I'll be getting another set

Edit: sorry mine are the ,206s, but seem almost the same

Yes, the 206's appear to have replaced the 201's and are regarded as the best in their price bracket.

Just received this too which may be of interest to the OP.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-best-studio-headphones-top-headphones-for-music-production?utm_source=SmartBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0205D92E-E67C-43E4-B0CF-F6FEA0D1AF4F&utm_content=F3C73264-40D7-4C2A-A008-B454D86A5023&utm_term=9116cb7c-8b54-4dcc-9c6a-b6120f003be7

On 20/10/2021 at 14:26, benh said:

Superlux HD-681 is what I use - cheap as chips and never let me down. Use them all the time with Zoom B1 Four pedal, as well as general music - great for both.

yep these are pritty hard to beat for over 3 times the price, i have been using them for years in the studio have about 4 pairs 681 sound great if you want extended bass and a bit sweeter sounding get the 681B ( silver pair) but dont mix your songs with the 681B or your mix will sound bass light compared with what your hearing in the cans,,, and i have noticed AKG have now a budget range that look just the same ,, but with an akg babge,,, you can see thay are made in the same place !

so at £20.. these are killer

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm

• Like 2

Another vote for the Beyer DT770’s here. A big plus with the Beyer’s is the availability of spares. I’ve just changed the ear cushions on mine, with most other brands I’d have been shopping for a new headphones.

Edited by JPJ