Why become a member? ×

Aguilar vs Lollar vs Fralin..... vs Nordy N4pA?

Ander87

Hey guys,

So I've got 3 P basses, one of them for my punk rock band, another one for my soul/neosoul/pop project, and a 3rd one as backup to either.

The Purple Limelight goes on a Nordy P blade for the dirty punk rock tones

The Olympic white Limelight goes on a Bare Knuckle '58 as backup bass that does cleans for punk rock and backup to the soul/neosoul band

The LPB bassmonkey bass needs a pickup for the neosoul band;

Considering the tonal options I already have, I was thinking on the below:

Aguilar 4p60?

Nordstrand NP4A?

Fralin? If so, which one, +5% would work?

Lollar? if so which one?

The bass it'd go to is swamp ash bodied with ebony fingerboard, tuned BEAD, and considering the genre it needs to have thick lows to hold the band and an ability to cut through the mix (keys, singer, drums and clean guitar). I play quite melodic parts so I need the highs to cut through in the mix. No need for glassy highs, just present and easy to hear them.

Considering the backup limelight has a BKP '58 I was thinking I would rather have a different taste to the '58 prototype but I'm open to suggestion. Thoughts? Thank you!

image.thumb.png.647e05140686ac2e42b3859a47dbbbbc.png

• Like 1

I have a David Allen 1088 (it’s wound to 10.88Kohms) and Bill Lawrence (Wylde) P46. The P46 is currently in my bass and I dig it. 

The David Allen is a great sounding pick up with a nice vintage mids and nice top end. Sounds like a P should. He describes it as 60’s mids with 70’s clean snap! The P46 is a very even and balanced pick up with a nice top end which is easily dialled back with the tone control. It could be a really good fit and really inexpensive. It features 5 pole pieces per side so looks different but works perfectly! Both are American made the D. Allen is $99 and the Wylde P46 is $72 before shipping and taxes. 

Dimarzio have released a new ‘Sixties P‘ model which on paper looks like a Model P output wise (but with alnico mags instead of the Model P ceramic mags) in the Billy Sheehan ‘Relentless’ style sculpted metal compound radius covers and appear to be a bit more bass and mid forward than the Model P with the Relentless model having more bass and mids again judging by the DiMarzio website. There’s a couple of demos on YT might be worth a listen. 

Some folk find the NP4 a bit polite (I didn’t mind it but it didn’t blow me away) the Fralins a touch more ‘raw’. It’s a minefield and you’ll only really know once you install them and hear it in context. 

Good resale opportunities on here though so you shouldn’t lose out too much if you take the plunge.

I’m pretty much happy with the 1088 and the P46 which is currently fitted in Reverse P orientation.

It’s always fun trying our new pick ups.  Good luck! 

5A89E9B7-BF06-4EB0-B360-7102476B26D9.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 12:05, Ander87 said:

Hey guys,

So I've got 3 P basses, one of them for my punk rock band, another one for my soul/neosoul/pop project, and a 3rd one as backup to either.

The Purple Limelight goes on a Nordy P blade for the dirty punk rock tones

The Olympic white Limelight goes on a Bare Knuckle '58 as backup bass that does cleans for punk rock and backup to the soul/neosoul band

The LPB bassmonkey bass needs a pickup for the neosoul band;

Considering the tonal options I already have, I was thinking on the below:

Aguilar 4p60?

Nordstrand NP4A?

Fralin? If so, which one, +5% would work?

Lollar? if so which one?

The bass it'd go to is swamp ash bodied with ebony fingerboard, tuned BEAD, and considering the genre it needs to have thick lows to hold the band and an ability to cut through the mix (keys, singer, drums and clean guitar). I play quite melodic parts so I need the highs to cut through in the mix. No need for glassy highs, just present and easy to hear them.

Considering the backup limelight has a BKP '58 I was thinking I would rather have a different taste to the '58 prototype but I'm open to suggestion. Thoughts? Thank you!

image.thumb.png.647e05140686ac2e42b3859a47dbbbbc.png

From the list

Aguilar

but

Go check out Jaime at Creamery Pick ups in Manchester U.K.  iMHO about the best pick ups out there

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

From the list

Aguilar

but

Go check out Jaime at Creamery Pick ups in Manchester U.K.  iMHO about the best pick ups out there

Oh that's very interesting!

I was partial to Aguilar but have heard so much fuzz about Fralin overwounds... But then these Creamery pickups at £85 do beat the price eh?

My bass is tuned on BEAD so I need a thick but not too boomy bass, more defined than your usual 60s pickups.

Thinking the '65 could do the trick? https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/classic-65-precision-p-bass-pickups.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Oh that's very interesting!

I was partial to Aguilar but have heard so much fuzz about Fralin overwounds... But then these Creamery pickups at £85 do beat the price eh?

My bass is tuned on BEAD so I need a thick but not too boomy bass, more defined than your usual 60s pickups.

Thinking the '65 could do the trick? https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/classic-65-precision-p-bass-pickups.html

I have the 58’s - best things ever - no disrespect to the Bare knuckles 58s which are very good, but they are better even still.

Jaime is good on email and he doesn’t hear the phone ring whilst working winding, but replies at the end of the day.

Have a chat with him as he can tailor the wind you want from an existing model.

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

I have the 58’s - best things ever - no disrespect to the Bare knuckles 58s which are very good, but they are better even still.

Oh you’re teasing me now eh?

better in what way? How would they compare?

I’ll definitely give him a call as I could well consider this, I can almost get two of those pickups for the price of a Fralin…

Lindy’s and Lollar’s are very good, but they (in general) are more in the classic old school slightly softer P bass sound if you get my drift.

I’ll give you another from left field if you want

Seymour Duncan APB-1 - not oft used - but awesome pick ups

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ander87 said:

Oh you’re teasing me now eh?

better in what way? How would they compare?

I’ll definitely give him a call as I could well consider this, I can almost get two of those pickups for the price of a Fralin…

Imagine all the BN58 is (and they are very good) but better, clarity, punch, definition, responsiveness, articulation - pick or finger playing.

They make me smile when I play them, and they will defo cut through nicely

• Thanks 1

right so this could well tease me into changing my BKP '58 too for my backup bass in neosoul band or pick for my punk rock band.

Very interesting - I always have to push EQ to make sure the high strings are heard when I play melodies in general over two guitars...

It could be a thing! Also interested in that 'solo' P pickup Creamery offers, maybe that one would help the BEAD tuning tighten up....

Ander.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2021 at 12:50, Ander87 said:

right so this could well tease me into changing my BKP '58 too for my backup bass in neosoul band or pick for my punk rock band.

Very interesting - I always have to push EQ to make sure the high strings are heard when I play melodies in general over two guitars...

It could be a thing! Also interested in that 'solo' P pickup Creamery offers, maybe that one would help the BEAD tuning tighten up....

Ander.

Which one did you go for in the end, Ander?  In the same predicament at the moment myself.  Leaning towards Fralin +5% currently!

7 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Which one did you go for in the end, Ander?  In the same predicament at the moment myself.  Leaning towards Fralin +5% currently!

Hey mate!!

I got in touch with the Creamery but for one reason or another I didn't notice much pull from them in terms of advise - was promised an invoice and an order but after 3/4 emails I admittedly let it go cold and sourced for other options.

I tried the Lollar in the interim thanks to a BC'er here and found it to be a bit 'to contained' - very correct pickup and nicely balanced, but I prefer the cut of my Nordys so I went for the NP4V. Bear in mind I already have the Nordy Blade and the NP4A (the punchy, loud out version), so a vintage one would do me good.

Sold the BKP '58 and got the NP4V which I really like - similar, very similar character to the BKP '58 as based on a '57/58 thing, but less boomy and more balanced.

Funny enough, I'm selling my 3rd P bass and keeping the NP4A and the Blade, so I'll be posting the NP4V on sale soon, still have it boxed and all but oh well. Hope that helps? happy to answer any more questions!

Best,

Ander.

• Like 1