Why become a member? ×

Do I tell the rest of the band...or keep it to myself?

gjones

I joined a band before the pandemic, we had a few rehearsals, then lockdown happened.

After the lockdown I decided that I was going to push things along, get a set rehearsed and get everybody organised for gigging.

Then the drummer told me he was vulnerable to covid as he had diabetes and had diabetes heart issues. He told me he didn't want to gig until 2022 at the earliest.

This put a spanner in the works, as I was planning to get us gigging by the start of winter at the latest.

So, although I'm still organising rehearsals, I'm not putting the same effort in to get us up to speed. After all we won't be gigging with our current drummer, until some time in 2022.

So far I haven't told the two guitarists, as I'm afraid they'll either want to kick him out, or quit the band.

Should I tell the guitarists or not? I'd like to know your opinions.

2022 at the earliest could mean autumn/winter 2022 or even later, your drummer has solid reasons for being apprehensive, but the timescale is too vague and he could decide not to gig at all, potentially resulting in a lot of wasted time. Best to be upfront about it IMO, have a way forward and a change in personnel if required.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

Why nother rehearsing at all as a band if you can't get out and play?

Either fire him, or leave yourself and seek out a band that is actually playing, or give him a polite ultimatum to go gigging (Im sure he leaves the house for other reasons when it suits him).

Hes not the only medically vulnerable person out there, and the rest of us are getting on with itm,going to work, shopping, wherever. We're all double jabbed in our outfit and being sensible with distancing and cleanliness, and that's  all any of us can do anywhere anyway.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Why nother rehearsing at all as a band if you can't get out and play?

Either fire him, or leave yourself and seek out a band that is actually playing, or give him a polite ultimatum to go gigging (Im sure he leaves the house for other reasons when it suits him).

Hes not the only medically vulnerable person out there, and the rest of us are getting on with itm,going to work, shopping, wherever. We're all double jabbed in our outfit and being sensible with distancing and cleanliness, and that's  all any of us can do anywhere anyway.  

I like the guy but you're right, I don't like him enough to allow him to hold us back from gigging. 

Be kind.

Ask him to tell the others within say, a week, or you will have to because it's getting in the way of making arrangements.

He might actually want to back out but finds it easier to tell you as the new guy than his long standing mates. He might even be expecting you to tell them and might be surprised you haven't.

Doesn't have to be an aggressive conversation - ask him in a way that doesn't close any doors in the future.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Be kind.

Ask him to tell the others within say, a week, or you will have to because it's getting in the way of making arrangements.

He might actually want to back out but finds it easier to tell you as the new guy than his long standing mates. He might even be expecting you to tell them and might be surprised you haven't.

Doesn't have to be an aggressive conversation - ask him in a way that doesn't close any doors in the future.

100% this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

What do the two guitarists want to do? If they want to gig sooner, then the drummer should step down. If they are happy to rehearse / jam for some time, perhaps you should step down. Get the band together at the next rehearsal and lead a discussion. 

I'm happy to attend rehearsals until the drummer is ready to return to gigging in hot sweaty dives, if that's what the rest of the band want to do. I'm also happy to think about recruiting another drummer if they want to get gigging sooner. I think I'll break it to them after the next rehearsal on Thursday. The drummer usually shoots off pretty sharpish, so that will give me and the singer (who already knows about the situation) some time to discuss things with the guitarists.

1 hour ago, gjones said:

I'm happy to attend rehearsals until the drummer is ready to return to gigging in hot sweaty dives, if that's what the rest of the band want to do. I'm also happy to think about recruiting another drummer if they want to get gigging sooner. I think I'll break it to them after the next rehearsal on Thursday. The drummer usually shoots off pretty sharpish, so that will give me and the singer (who already knows about the situation) some time to discuss things with the guitarists.

Don’t wait for the drummer to leave, start the conversation with the whole band there asking what they want to do. If they say they want to gig now, it will sound the drummer out to make a decisions. No confrontation needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

Don’t wait for the drummer to leave, start the conversation with the whole band there asking what they want to do. If they say they want to gig now, it will sound the drummer out to make a decisions. No confrontation needed.

The guitarists, although no spring chickens and probably pretty vulnerable themselves, are no fans of lockdowns and I suspect have sympathies with the  ant vax/plandemic brigade. I suspect they would poo poo his worries about catching covid and I want to avoid confrontation if I can. Best to not have the drummer present, so that things can be discussed in a cool and thoughtful manner.

Well we have a band meeting tomorrow, where the drummers reluctance to gig will be discussed.

He's already said he'll be happy to sit in at rehearsals until a new drummer is recruited.

Now all we need is to find a decent drummer who is as committed to gigging as the rest of the band is.

• Like 3

On 19/10/2021 at 22:05, gjones said:

The guitarists, although no spring chickens and probably pretty vulnerable themselves, are no fans of lockdowns and I suspect have sympathies with the  ant vax/plandemic brigade. I suspect they would poo poo his worries about catching covid and I want to avoid confrontation if I can. Best to not have the drummer present, so that things can be discussed in a cool and thoughtful manner.

If they are antivax conspiracy idiots I’d be quitting the band on principle.

• Like 5

I would just leave well alone and see where you are at the beginning of next year. 

Personally, I would be more worried about the attitude of the guitarists and if I was a drummer there was no way that I would play with them in the current situation. TBH the band sounds like a goner. 

• Like 1