Why become a member? ×

A passive P that is not a Fender

Supernaut

On 20/10/2021 at 09:53, JohnDaBass said:

HB Enhanced P for £250 and a Weekend in Paris 🤣🤣

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mp_4mn_natural.htm

I’ve talked about mine here before: out of the box, being a passive P is probably what it’s best at, since that pickup is a beast. The other pickup and active EQ, not so good. It’s quite heavy, too, about 10 lbs. 

I see the Bass Centre does a few P basses, including a Bruce Thomas P and a John Entwistle “Frankenstein”, both for about £500 each. 

3 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

Is that a custom order? How does one order a custom G&L in the UK?

Not a color you see all the time, and you 𝘤𝘢𝘯 order it custom, but they do pop up from time to time on Reverb.

If you do go custom, I'd suggest getting in contact with Jason. Just helped someone I know on Facebook order this.

https://www.facebook.com/jasonfretnation

FB_IMG_1635120729867.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Not a color you see all the time, and you 𝘤𝘢𝘯 order it custom, but they do pop up from time to time on Reverb.

If you do go custom, I'd suggest getting in contact with Jason. Just helped someone I know on Facebook order this.

https://www.facebook.com/jasonfretnation

FB_IMG_1635120729867.jpg

IIRC Cass Lewis (Skunk Anansie) had the Gold version of that finish on an ASAT bass. Gaudy but lovely.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2021 at 11:32, Supernaut said:

Fender's QC is too hit and miss for me. 

Absolutely. People prattle on about MIA being 'better' than MIM etc, but their QC is so loose it can vary radically from one instrument to another.  So much so that any blanket statements about superior MIA quality is simply utter rubbish.

But all is not lost.  When I bought my Geddy Lee I went to a shop and tried all 3 that they had in stock - two were a bit meh, but one was perfection in finish, set up (the store set them all up themelves) and tone, and thats the one I went home with.  If you're willing to go and try a few you can overcome the variable QC problem by finding a good example and ignoring the mediocre ones, whereas buy online and you get what you're  given,

• Like 2

Personally, I would implore you to consider a Fender. However, I would look towards the Rising Sun. I have bought 6 Japanese Fenders over the years and every single one of them has been excellent. All bought sight unseen. The versions with the US suffix to the model are the premium ones and you will see consistent praise for them across BC.

Somewhat against your intention (and I get where you're coming from), but you can get exactly what you want for a cost very much within your budget.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Quite true. Nothing so hilarious as ridiculing someone trying to help.

Cheap shot it may have been, but it made me laugh so I guess I'm going straight to hell.

I don't know how helpful your contribution was though, regardless of your intention.  How helped would you feel if you went into a car dealership and you said from the off "I don't want brand X" and the salesperson goes "sure, take a look at this wonderful, low mileage brand X"?  I can only speak for myself but I would find that really unhelpful at best.

• Like 1