Why become a member? ×

UK neck builders

AxelF

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this, but does anyone know any companies in the UK who make a 21 fret jazz neck?

I've been drawn more and more to the tone of jazz basses in some clips I've heard recently and also really fancy the idea of something I've had a hand in creating, but have zero carpentry skills - assembling something from parts is definitely my limit (and will quite likely exceed it...!)

A couple of songs I regularly play live need a high E though so really need a 21 fret neck.

With no experience of these things I've specced out a neck on the Warmoth site which although beautiful is running into the $400+ range and that's before shipping and VAT which is a lot more than I'm hoping to spend. I don't seem to be able to find any UK-based builders who offer what I'm after - 21 frets, flat radius. Does anyone know any who offer greater customisation by any chance please?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by AxelF

Necks are hard in the UK - there is no one like Warmoth, or USACG that I've found where you can configure everything on the web and have them send it to you.

Next time I build something I am going to try these guys:

https://guitarandbassbuilds.com/collections/to-order-guitar-necks-1/products/custom-shop-jazz-bass-neck

I'd have thought they could accomodate an additional fret - it's just a slightly longer fingerboard right? I asked about a custom body rout and they were into it.

I have a 21 fret USAGC that I love, but was really pretty expensive after import duties and VAT! Worth it though. I love that neck...

• Like 1

On 18/10/2021 at 22:23, AxelF said:

Interesting, hadn't considered graphite but will definitely check them out, thanks. My brain can't work out how they fit 21 frets with no overhang but it obviously works!

My Status fretless 'Fender' neck has 21 'frets' with an overhanging board

Edited by Aidan63
added ' ' marks to frets
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

You could try having a chat with Mike Walsh at Zootbass, this might be something he could do for you.

I'm sure he could, but I happen to know he is very busy with custom builds at the moment, so the turnaround time is likely to be pretty long.

• Thanks 1

On 22/10/2021 at 14:18, warwickhunt said:

You could call these guys.  https://guitaranatomy.com/product-category/necks/bass-necks/

I know folks who really rate their guitar necks.  Worth comparing their price against others.  

People on Facebook are saying those are AliExpress necks. £40.30 plus tax
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uiDCG2

Edit: £20 shipping

Edited by kneal6