Why become a member? ×

Considering Work on Squire Jazz Vintage Modified

DocTrucker

Fairly certain my bass is a Squire Vintage Modified in natural (lacquered finish) with Duncan Designed pickups.

I've got a bit of noise on this when plugged un and considering adding some shielding (something I did for my P bass, that wants a bit more work) and swapping out the pickups for some Entwistle JBXN pickups at the same time.

Is it worth looking at a high mass bridge at the same time, or is that really just an aesthetic choice until your a real Bass wizzard?

High mass bridges can "dry" the sound a little in my experience. The difference, despite claims that they offer a miraculous improvement on a BBOT, is very small. You may or may not like it. If you don't want to spend a lot, try a Gotoh 201. Nicely made and good value. There is also a Gotoh version of the BBOT, the 203, which is made from brass and very nice. It certainly looks better than the standard offering.

However, adding new p/us and bridge to a Squier will cost a bit and you're unlikely to recoup what you spend if you come to sell it. Might it be better to put the money towards a better instrument?

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, will look into the suggestions.

As far as I could see the Indonesian Vintage Jazz Modifieds were well recieved, maple bodies and necks with reasonable hardware. What would I be gaining from a more expensive model? I expect the spend to be about £60-70.

Thanks. Back about ten years I knew my bicycles, and up to about £800 it was clear the difference you were getting over cheaper models. Ligher frames, stiffer, better gear change etc.

I don't have that knowledge of basses. What is the sort of price point deminishing returns become obvious?

Edited by DocTrucker

Opinions differ - I personally think beyond about beyond £350 it becomes more about habit / cachet / vanity w hen it comes to real world usability unless you’re a god

a squier classic vibe is totally useable for almost anything IMHO beyond that it’s a bit pointless 

• Thanks 1

If you’re changing the pickups why not consider changing the wiring loom too? For around the same price as high mass bridge (which I wouldn’t bother with) a VVT with series/parallel switch in the tone pot will add an additional tonal option and a new loom may help with the noise too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I would swap out the pickups and loom. Take some time to find some used pickups you love the sound of and if your not great at soldering go for a solderless loom.

Keep the old pickups and loom at least for a while until you decide if your going to keep the bass.

If you decide to upgrade it after the mods just swap the pickups and loom out and either transfer them to your new bass or sell them on. Ultimately it will cost you under £100 and you will get most of it back at a later date.

Hi-Mass bridges can look great and are often more comfortable if you rest your arm/wrist on them but don’t add much if anything to the sound IMO.

Edit: Squire VM’s and CV’s are generally good instruments. I have played several CV’s that I liked more than MIM and US made instruments once they were set up correctly.

Edited by tegs07
  • Thanks 1

Talk to @KiOgon on here about looms.  I fit his creations to all my newly acquired basses. Not sure why you're swapping Duncan pups for Entwhistle.  Entwhistle are mighty fine pups but in the same bracket money and quality wise?  Yes no? Not sure if they do a J bass but for P bass I fit Toneriders as a matter of course.  

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1

The building is part of the fun for me, although I appreciate the recommendation.

Pleny of food for thought here and builing it all up on a seperate panel means it can drag on a bit without leaving me bass less. Thanks again!

Edited by DocTrucker

Definitely shield the cavities - that's one of the best, cheapest mods you can make to a bass.

series/parallel is a great option for a more punchy, mid-range sound.

I've put Wilkinson pickups in all my basses (J, P and MM), and much prefer the sound of them to the 'Duncan Designed' that some of them came with, but it's like a singer' microphone choice - there's just no alternative to testing out as many as you can and finding which ones work best for you.

Just had a little look at the electronics and thought I was onto something. Reasonable quality pots - alpha 250K - but the ground seemed weak between the pots and the ground pin of the cable. Measured 1.5-2 Ohm. The ground between the volume pots, tone pot, and jack plug is all made through the control plate to avoid ground loops. Stripped back and wire brushed the threads for the pots and the jack plug. Resistance dropped to around 0.5Ohm which is as good as zero with a normal meter. Alas hum still there. Almost certainly picking up noise from something in my room. Unplug the guitar, or put both pickups on full and the hum disappears. Drop the tone right down and the hum sounds like the characteristic 50Hz hum!

I'll get on with the shielding.

• 4 weeks later...

They're great instruments.  My son has a VM jazz that i bought him 2nd hand a few years and a classic vibe p that's the first bass he bought with his own money.

A spare SD 1/4 pounder and new wiring loom in the P has transformed it.  I A/Bed it against my mate's US precision and there honestly isn't much in it. 

Cheapest and easiest upgrade would be a set of pickups from the forum - there's a fair few on offer for a great price including a Fender vintage set - and a wiring loom from KioGon on the forum. 

Edited by bassbloke