Why become a member? ×

Is there any such thing as music that doesn't date?

Barking Spiders

On 18/10/2021 at 16:08, Nail Soup said:

Not exactly 'aging', but there is an effect that changes the perception of old music that cannot easily be avoided.

Take "Tomorrow Never Knows" for example. When I first heard it I thought it was brilliant. But I'd already heard a lot of later music that followed on from it.

So I could not appreciate how much better TKN it would have sounded had I heard it first.

In this vein people say something like "you can't imagine how Elvis sounded the first time we heard it"

Totally this!!!  I'm the same with films, I watched Blues Brothers for the first time about a year or two ago and all the cameo appearances and jokes must have been amazing beyond mind blowing when the film was fresh and new, but they set a bar for others to try to reach and or exceed. 

I don't know if any music can really be classed as old. There are people discovering bands like The Beatles, or The Rolling Stones or whoever, for the first time, and to them it's all new and exciting.  Sure, some sounds can seem a bit dated now but at the time they were pushing the boundaries, and there are still younger musicians who are being influenced by those old DX7 or Linn Drum sounds.