Why become a member? ×

Loop Pedal woes

sammybee

Has anybody here got any experience with a Boss RC-10r loop pedal? I bought this one specifically because it has a midi out jack and I understood it would be able to drive MIDI clock from the loop/internal rhythm. I've set it to send midi clock in the menu, however its sending nothing.. great fun just using the loops with the internal drums though. Really want it to be driving my MPC though.

19 hours ago, TheGreek said:
19 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I've been thinking about buying one...then not...then again.

Still can't decide..

.then not...then again.  .then not...then again.  .then not...then again.  .then not...then again.  .then not...then again.  .then not...then again.

On 17/10/2021 at 21:05, sammybee said:

Has anybody here got any experience with a Boss RC-10r loop pedal? I bought this one specifically because it has a midi out jack and I understood it would be able to drive MIDI clock from the loop/internal rhythm. I've set it to send midi clock in the menu, however its sending nothing.. great fun just using the loops with the internal drums though. Really want it to be driving my MPC though.

How have you got it set up? I've got a dd-200 and the midi clock send is working ok.

For a start, make sure you have the correct type of TRS cable for midi, there are a couple of different standards for how these are wired. Would have been so easy for manufacturers to agree on one standard, but alas...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

How have you got it set up? I've got a dd-200 and the midi clock send is working ok.

For a start, make sure you have the correct type of TRS cable for midi, there are a couple of different standards for how these are wired. Would have been so easy for manufacturers to agree on one standard, but alas...

Of course, I bought the cheapest one (cable) I could find from eBay! I think you've hit the nail on the head about the wiring of the cable - I've ordered the 'official' Boss cable now which I'm hoping will fix it.

52 minutes ago, sammybee said:

Of course, I bought the cheapest one (cable) I could find from eBay! I think you've hit the nail on the head about the wiring of the cable - I've ordered the 'official' Boss cable now which I'm hoping will fix it.

If the cable is a TRS mini jack to 5-pin, then that should fix it! But if the cable you need is TRS-TRS, the problem is probably that the midi input jack on whatever you are plugging into is wired differently to the output jack on the Boss. So you'll need an adapter, or a specially wired TRS cable. If that's the case, I'd try to find out what standard your "slave" device is. The boss pedal is wired like this: 

image.thumb.png.33074ef553fd8605b6f71e19d051bcee.png

• Like 1

On 18/10/2021 at 21:38, AJ567 said:

Well the replacement cable didn't fix the issue. I did a factory reset on the pedal, set the sync on the pedal to internal, set the output clock to on. plugged the cable into midi out from the pedal -> midi in on my MPC (set the MPC to slave to incoming clock)... pressed play on the pedal, and no midi clock sent to MPC :( Any ideas?

That's a pain. I'd make sure both "sync" and "realtime source" are internal, also make sure midi transmit channel is not set to "off" for some reason. In theory the midi channel shouldn't matter for clock but might as well set both devices to the same channel. I don't know how the mpc works but make sure it is happy to receive realtime messages. Other than that I'm out of ideas... Sorry!