Why become a member? ×

Does anyone know what this is

probonopublico

Yes, it's a David Gage Czech-Ease. I've got one and I can confirm it's a lovely bass. So I'll ignore NickA's comment lol ;) 
Mine is a lovely player, with a fairly slim neck.

Due to their smaller body size & acoustic chamber, they're a tad quieter than most other acoustic uprights, but it's a lovely sound nonetheless. As well as being lighter, they're obviously that bit easier to cart around. There is a hard case available for them, as well as a quite nicely padded gigbag.

I've also seen Danny Thompson playing one, and it sounded and looked great. The first time I saw one was onstage at Cambridge Folk Festival - the bass player from a band called "The Quebe Sisters" had one. It certainly sounded fab when he was playing it.

They're not often seen in the UK - so best of luck with your search.

Edited by Marc S
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Yes, it's a David Gage Czech-Ease. I've got one and I can confirm it's a lovely bass. So I'll ignore NickA's comment lol ;) 
Mine is a lovely player, with a fairly slim neck.

Due to their smaller body size & acoustic chamber, they're a tad quieter than most other acoustic uprights, but it's a lovely sound nonetheless. As well as being lighter, they're obviously that bit easier to cart around. There is a hard case available for them, as well as a quite nicely padded gigbag.

I've also seen Danny Thompson playing one, and it sounded and looked great. The first time I saw one was onstage at Cambridge Folk Festival - the bass player from a band called "The Quebe Sisters" had one. It certainly sounded fab when he was playing it.

They're not often seen in the UK - so best of luck with your search.

Thanks Marc, I am impressed with them.  I had a 3/4 size and it wasn't much smaller than a full size and a pain to transport.  So when it fell over and the neck came off I got rid and didn't replace it.  Although, playing with an early music band a fretless doesn't look the part.  I went on the site and although they have dealers everywhere none have it on their on line inventory. I've mailed the makers in USA and will let you know how I get on.  Do they come with a pickup>

12 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Had to google Quebe Sisters and have a listen - what a brilliant band, I'd not heard of western swing before.

Danny Thompson...say no more.

The guy from the Hot Sardines also plays one 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, probonopublico said:

Thanks for that Pete, yes very nice.  This is torture, with every performance the urge gets stronger.  Even if I find one, I then have to go head to head with the wife. And not in a good way.

I've never seen one TBH live, only on YT, but good luck with your search. Eminence and BSX Allegro seem to be the only smaller-bodied alternatives, very rare as well in the UK, I think the CE has the edge soundwise with the extra body. 

Hi @petebassist
Yes, the Quebe Sisters are amazing. Their guitarist was a really knowledgeable bloke, really nice guy too. I attended a workshop / chat session with them while I was there.
The guitarist had played with all sorts of famous people, including Elvis! Said bass player had played with Duke Ellington (again, if a Czech Ease is good enough for him! lol)
Amazing backing band :)

But the Quebe Sisters themselves came from a completely non-musical family / background. One of the sisters started playing the violin, so the others took it up, and they all became brilliant. They were All Texas Fiddle Champions at one time. Then they started singing, and a studio team said "Wow - when did you learn 3 part harmonies?"

To which their reply was "What's that?". Such beautiful voices, great musicians, really nice songs.... and top that with the fact they're all really nice people. I know cos I was sat less than 2m from them. I attended that workshop because after seeing them onstage, I thought I'd probably never get chance again.

• Like 1

Martin Penning had a spell of selling/supplying Czech-Eaze DBs for a while; I spoke to him this week to ask the question of where one may be obtained and his answer was as follows:

I did sell Czech Ease basses but the market has gone -post Brexit. With customs duties and double vat it will be way cheaper to get one from David Gage in New York, even though it has been made in the Czech Republic!

Good luck with your search!

• Confused 1

Youd think czech-ease would be vat registered, so able to knock off the Czech vat before exporting.  And there's no duty to pay on imports from the EU.  Hence only UK vat to pay.  Though the shipping company has to collect the vat from the importer and charges a fat fee ( plus vat) for doing so.  Then the importer has to claim the VAT back again!

I was at Tim Bachelor's a few weeks back and he was complaining about all the hassle of eori numbers etc, says brexit has almost killed his import business too.

What a total mess.

Still, if there is a demand, maybe someone with import export knowledge, VAT registration and a eori number, (bass bags perhaps), could be persuaded to be a UK dealer.

Edited by NickA