Why become a member? ×

Solidgold Supa Funk dual envelope filter

fretmeister

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Hm, I don't think I'm a fan! It seems quite 'narrow' sounding and honestly doesn't do much more than my Bassballs. I could wait and try it in the band but actually don't think there's much point!!

I'll probably send it back tbh but @Quatschmacher if you want it at the price I paid that's cool too - the warranty is non transferrable, however. I don't know how difficult they are to get hold of at the moment but let me know?

How would you rate it compared to the Proton Mk4 you've just sold? Sounds like you preferred the Proton? 

7 minutes ago, ped said:

Hm, I don't think I'm a fan! It seems quite 'narrow' sounding and honestly doesn't do much more than my Bassballs. I could wait and try it in the band but actually don't think there's much point!!

I'll probably send it back tbh but @Quatschmacher if you want it at the price I paid that's cool too - the warranty is non transferrable, however. I don't know how difficult they are to get hold of at the moment but let me know?

Where’d you get it from? Perhaps it’d be better for me to buy it from there once it goes back into stock in order to get the warranty. 

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

How would you rate it compared to the Proton Mk4 you've just sold? Sounds like you preferred the Proton? 

I found the proton a bit sterile. No warble, a little bit dry sounding. Certainly didn’t live up to the hype. For me at least, previous caveats about the type of bass, setup, style etc taken into account!

No doubt all of them can do great sounds and can be made to work well such as some of the reviews on YouTube like BassTheWorld, but somehow neither the Proton or the Supa Funk have ‘excited’ me like my favourite filters do. 

I also think the prices for pedals these days are a bit mental. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ped said:

I found the proton a bit sterile. No warble, a little bit dry sounding. Certainly didn’t live up to the hype. For me at least, previous caveats about the type of bass, setup, style etc taken into account!

No doubt all of them can do great sounds and can be made to work well such as some of the reviews on YouTube like BassTheWorld, but somehow neither the Proton or the Supa Funk have ‘excited’ me like my favourite filters do. 

I also think the prices for pedals these days are a bit mental. 

Fair enough and thanks for the feedback. The wettest filter I've come across is the 3Leaf GR2 and it seems you really like Wonderlove which, together with the Chromatron, are its successors. The Proton Mk 4 is allegedly a Chromatron mini according to Spencer. I actually really like mine - it's very easy to dial in both up and down sweep; so it might still be worth me giving the SupaFunk a spin and A/Bing them - it maybe we just have different playing styles etc. 

One thing I can't disagree is that the prices are mental for quality filters - I mean your Proton Mk4 just sold within 24 hours of listing for £250 inc P&P, and you could get a very capable used multi (eg HX Effects) for very little extra and which is anything but a one trick pony!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Yep different strokes and all that - after everything I’ve tried I still haven’t heard anything that squelches quite like the original pale green FX25! I don’t really know why I bother trying anything else but it’s all good clean fun at the end of the day, and at least the higher prices lead to hype which keeps release healthy to some extent. I haven’t lost a penny trying out all these cool pedals. 

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

@pedjust out of interest what songs do you use the baseballs on live? 

We don’t do any covers. It only sounds good on a p bass with flats with the sensitivity down and the internal trim pots on minimum. Distortion on. But my P has a super high output. I’ll try and record something with it. Live it just sounds super funky and really stands out of the mix. 

1 minute ago, ped said:

We don’t do any covers. It only sounds good on a p bass with flats with the sensitivity down and the internal trim pots on minimum. Distortion on. But my P has a super high output. I’ll try and record something with it. Live it just sounds super funky and really stands out of the mix. 

Sounds good, and the idea was to get something equally as funky from the supa funk, but just couldn’t? Sorry I’m late to the thread! 😂 

Edited by bassfan

7 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Sounds good, and the idea was to get something equally as funky from the supa funk, but just couldn’t? Sorry I’m late to the thread! 😂 

Yes, sort of. Just wanted to try it really, swayed by the idea of a Bassballs that’s more flexible and perhaps less idiosyncratic however I think that’s what’s great about it in the end. I think I like my filters cheap (originally), flawed and basic. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, HoorayForAnonyms said:

I’m interested in hearing other’s experiences too. I’m also wondering if the C4/Spectrum could get close, @Quatschmacher?

Well, if I get my hands on one, I’ll be able to try seeing if I can duplicate it on C4 and Spectrum. In theory it should be doable, though the tricky part might be replicating exactly how the envelope speed changes as the speed knob is turned.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Anyone else managed to try one of these? I’m still contemplating it. 

I've did a review of the supa funk with sounds clips over in the effects review section here on BC. I've also got, and reviewed, the Seamoon Funk Machine and the MrBlack Fwonkbeta. Of the three the Supa Funk gives you the classic envelope sounds and is more versatile, whereas the other two are more extreme in the range of their settings.

On 24/10/2021 at 14:13, Quatschmacher said:

I’d particularly like to hear how the envelope follower handles long notes; sounds like it might warble a fair bit. Haven’t found anything that decays as smoothly as my Microtron IV yet. 

PS I think the supa funk has a smooth decay on long notes. Certainly no issues with warbling and I'm not having to adjust my playing to accommodate any anomalies of the pedal.

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Well, if I get my hands on one, I’ll be able to try seeing if I can duplicate it on C4 and Spectrum. In theory it should be doable, though the tricky part might be replicating exactly how the envelope speed changes as the speed knob is turned.  

Bass the World reckon the Spectrum does an excellent Mu-tron impression and their review was quite enthusiastic. I've stuck to analogue pedals but as a result have three envelopes on my board to get the variations I want but I just couldn't get on with the interface on the C4 I had.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Sold it already. Some pretty cool sounds in there but I prefer what I’ve already got. 

That was a quick turnaround!! Have to say I like the supa funk for the way the color control works.

2 minutes ago, Boodang said:

That was a quick turnaround!! Have to say I like the supa funk for the way the color control works.

Yes, the dual filter thing is very cool. I just found I wasn’t getting great results with my bass, probably because my pickups are very low output, so there was only a small portion of the sensitivity control which gave me useable response. The resonance range is also quite narrow and I like to be able to go from very low to very high. Glad to have been able to try it out though and I’m sure someone else will love it. 

27 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, the dual filter thing is very cool. I just found I wasn’t getting great results with my bass, probably because my pickups are very low output, so there was only a small portion of the sensitivity control which gave me useable response. The resonance range is also quite narrow and I like to be able to go from very low to very high. Glad to have been able to try it out though and I’m sure someone else will love it. 

Could you have boosted the bass output a touch with a preamp before the filter?