Why become a member? ×

Music Keyboard and Software.

PaulThePlug

YO! The Basschat Massive...

Youngest has been arsing about on an old Aldi or Lidl Synth Thing... Plink Plink....

So want to get him a Keyboard and some software for his computer, make a change from Mindcraft, Portal, Half life, Starwars etc.

What should i be looking at, is it a case of a simple USB connection K'bd? Or is a special soundcard etc needed?

Budget Recommendations or your leftovers please... Nektar SE25 MIDI keyboard £45? Akai LPK?

Reading a bit i think i'd like a normalish size 49 key, rather than a midi.

Anyone upgraded and got something to move on at a bargain price?

Plus i want some of that early Hawkwind Ring Mod noise!

Edited by PaulThePlug

Well now. How far do you want to go down the rabbit hole?

I’d get a USB keyboard controller like an m-audio key station 49 or equivalent and then pick a digital audio workstation piece of software to play, record etc.

Most of them come with instruments built in, and you can add to it later with others both free and paid for. 

The other option is a proper synth that still plugs into the PC but has built in patches and can be played live without a PC. More expensive but you get the option of taking it out and about to play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Bridgehouse

Google has found a Refurb M-Audio KeyRig 49 Key USB for £25 + £2 postage (24 months waranty)...

Twas looking at the Akai but my Son mentioned mord keys and normal size, so was thinking Nektar SE49

Is this an earlier version of the keystattion? Should i go for this as toe-in-the-water?

Cheers

2 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

@Bridgehouse

Google has found a Refurb M-Audio KeyRig 49 Key USB for £25 + £2 postage (24 months waranty)...

Twas looking at the Akai but my Son mentioned mord keys and normal size, so was thinking Nektar SE49

Is this an earlier version of the keystattion? Should i go for this as toe-in-the-water?

Cheers

As long as it acts as a USB controller it will be fine for a start.

The biggest price jumps come from semi-weighted and weighted keys, and then other controller buttons and pads on the device. 

Most importantly you need a decent software package - have a look at Reason or Ableton Live for starters and go from there

This is bundled with a lot of very usable software...plus, the NI keyboard(s) are great to play.

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Native-Instruments-Komplete-Kontrol-A49/2NU7?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtrSLBhCLARIsACh6RmgWqDVs1H3vucFOkMus-yA7TMhLxFHNvrb3pTl_jxBHhKmQe2LU_8saAgjbEALw_wcB

There are a couple of free DAW's out there. Cakewalk/Sonar springs to mind...I think Reaper has a reasonably priced license fee.

When you start on this journey you will need an Audio/Midi interface.

:D

I bought my son the maudio keystation (he loves it) , then just get a lite free version of tracktion/waveform or whatever that has built in synths etc . As said before small keys is a mistake to learn on…it will put him off….

ps ..just noticed you got one…good choice!

Edited by Musicman666
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After Mucho Messin'... CEX are bobbins! 😞

I got a Alesis Q49 listed on Gumtree but no discs... pluged it in via USB and the octave and midi select buttons light up when pressed, so fingers crossed (which will make playing harder!) it works

Registered the product and am able to download a copy of AIR Music Tech's Xpand!2 software... presume this is synth noises?.. from the Alesis site.

The Q49 is meant to come with Ableton Live... Presume this is the DAW? But it is not listed on the Alesis site to download... and no serial code?

Any pointers or recomendations for any other free synth drum instrument or DAW software for a PC?

Edited by PaulThePlug

59 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

After Mucho Messin'... CEX are bobbins! 😞

I got a Alesis Q49 listed on Gumtree but no discs... pluged it in via USB and the octave and midi select buttons light up when pressed, so fingers crossed (which will make playing harder!) it works

Registered the product and am able to download a copy of AIR Music Tech's Xpand!2 software... presume this is synth noises?.. from the Alesis site.

The Q49 is meant to come with Ableton Live... Presume this is the DAW? But it is not listed on the Alesis site to download... and no serial code?

Any pointers or recomendations for any other free synth drum instrument or DAW software for a PC?

Hey Paul, I have an Alesis keyboard which came with a downloadable software bundle which I’ve not used and don’t need as I have Logic. If you want I can dig out the URL and serial number and send it you if you want. 

• Thanks 1

If it is not needed that would be great! Thankyou.

I've had the lid off and given it a good clean out of dust, fluff 'n general crud on the inside and a Sticky Stuff Remover and  Mr Sheening on the outside... looks like new... had an old printer USB in the loft... looks like i'm sorted!

Found it listed on Gumtree FREE for collection from an Arts Studio Workshop Space near Hackey... that was a Journey on the Scooter... Couple of roads, pull over, check the phone sat nav, couple of roads... repeat... but looks like i'm on a winner!