Why become a member? ×

Schecter SLS Elite bass with Fishman Fluence pickups

Mudpup

Just now, TheGreek said:

I remember Schecter as being quite respected when I started playing back in the 80s. They seem to have lost their credibility nowadays.

That was back when they were a high end custom brand like ESP.

I believe they're mostly made in the Cort factory now so fall into the 'decent mid price import' category. 

15 hours ago, Mudpup said:

believe they're mostly made in the Cort factory now so fall into the 'decent mid price import' category. 

People on here with the model T love it. Like most brands I've noticed their prices have really shot up in the last few years. It's a shame because they do a good left handed range but they're just too expensive for me to take a punt on, considering they'd need to be specially ordered by most retailers (in left handed at least). The Stiletto Studio range does look nice but am pretty sure the price has doubled over five years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

People on here with the model T love it. Like most brands I've noticed their prices have really shot up in the last few years. It's a shame because they do a good left handed range but they're just too expensive for me to take a punt on, considering they'd need to be specially ordered by most retailers (in left handed at least). The Stiletto Studio range does look nice but am pretty sure the price has doubled over five years.

It was the Fishman pickups that had my interest and they're only on the SLS as far as I can tell so the other models are a non starter for me.  The only other way to get them is on a Spector (I don't get on with the stretch on the neck with those) or a Cort A4 Ultra which is about the same price as the Schecter. And both the Schecter and Cort will take a huge hit if I buy new and then sell on if I can't get on with them so i'm reluctant to buy new on them.

Either nobody bought one or they are so good nobody sells them on as I've never spotted a used one. 

Don't you just hate itch scratching......

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 20:36, TheGreek said:

I remember Schecter as being quite respected when I started playing back in the 80s. They seem to have lost their credibility nowadays.

They were absolutely top drawer in the 80's and maintained their credibility as they moved from being a one man custom shop to a production company. 

A bit like ESP outside of Japan, they are seen as a 'metal' brand and their marketing has leaned heavily into that for many years, perhaps to their detriment. Much like ESP though, they regard themselves as brand for a wide range of styles.