Why become a member? ×

Soldered a new jack onto a cable and it now sounds darker than before. Why?

Osiris

Thanks to the wise words of @nilebodgers who correctly identified the issue, the cable is now sorted so it's much appreciated. This morning I took the new plug off, stripped off the extra shielding layer on the insulated core and re-soldered the cable back up and all is good once more. 

Special thanks also to those who offered up the level of idiocy I have come to admire and respect from certain quarters. You know who you are. Although I suspect some of you probably don't. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Teebs said:

So basically, you did a terrible job of putting a new jack on a cable?

:laugh1:

Now now, people in glass houses...

Did you ever see the state of that shitty little home made cab you built? Eh? 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Has the cable got a semiconducting layer? It’s usually a black layer in between the core and the shield and it can be easy to let it touch the core if you aren’t careful. You can end up with a high resistance short between hot and earth and a much increased cable capacitance that can make the cable sound very strange.

(look at Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Instrument Cable for an example)

This seems a rational explanation to me.

4 hours ago, Osiris said:

Thanks to the wise words of @nilebodgers who correctly identified the issue, the cable is now sorted so it's much appreciated. This morning I took the new plug off, stripped off the extra shielding layer on the insulated core and re-soldered the cable back up and all is good once more. 

Special thanks also to those who offered up the level of idiocy I have come to admire and respect from certain quarters. You know who you are. Although I suspect some of you probably don't. 

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Try resoldering it?

Stop posting without reading :P

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Osiris said:

Nice one! I had no idea there was a reason those twin sheaths are staggered in the strip back. Every day a school day.

• Like 1