Why become a member? ×

So I bought a set of strings in the U.K. to be delivered to Belgium... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hellzero

I needed a fiver set of double ball Steinberger/La Bella.

They all were out of price in the EEC.

So, I contacted Mark at BassDirect and he did the Brexit maths. I paid £35.42 GBP shipping included for the set, so far so good as I'm supposed to simply pay the 21% of VAT for these goods.

The next day I got a message from the Belgian post asking me €27.93 Euros (£23.57 GBP) as customs fee clearance !?!

Not Mark's fault for sure even if the declared value was a bit too high at £40 GBP (shipping fee must be included in the declared value, but it was a grand total of £35.42 GBP), but the "you'll pay the same as the VAT is deducted" slogan you see everywhere is a total lie as you have to add that delirious administrative fee and VAT on everything.

Some companies like ToneRider, for instance, give you a real all included price and work with couriers instead of the post, which is better and safer price wise.

IMG_20211016_163349.thumb.jpg.5b3da19c010407dacbfeaff356a3cc8c.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-15-11-53-09-973_be.bpost.mybpost.thumb.jpg.9272ca29c98075c00c217a2a2af828ca.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-15-11-54-29-498_be.bpost.mybpost.thumb.jpg.ac3f82d6310620237f24a04671212065.jpg

Thanks Boris is all I can say.

Edited by Hellzero
  • Like 4

• Hellzero changed the title to So I bought a set of strings in the U.K. to be delivered to Belgium... 🤦🏻‍♂️

You come unstuck with the post office’s handling fee.

Maybe get someone you know over here to get them for you next time, and under declare them?

I did that recently for someone who lives in France, he wanted a CD.

Thomann have now got it sorted out, the price you pay is it, nothing extra.

17 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@Hellzero - Really you should be thanking David Cameron, he will be forever know as the person that orchestrated the demise of Britain! 

Is there any room in Belgium for me, my wife and my basses? 😁

You are welcome whenever you want, but the basses will have to stay forever. :biggrin:

It would be nice to live in a country where you can just put Tony, Belgium and it gets to you!

Ironically, my Father was called Tony, and he lived in belgium, and all that time I didn't try it. But probably because I would haver written 'Dad, belgium' and that is probably trickier.

• Like 1

A long time ago, a friend of mine send me postcard from abroad where he put my name on it, the street was " Blue Peugeot 205 Street" without any number and the place was "Near Virton, I think" which is a city 15 kilometres away. He stated Belgium.

And yes I did get the postcard a few days after it was sent !

Good ol' time.

• Like 1