Why become a member? ×

Rickenfakers

ubit

On 03/03/2022 at 14:14, PaulThePlug said:

Stylised personalised decals ready for a blank TRC.

Black logo for a white TRC, and i've asked for a TRC in matching fretboard wood (or a suitably sized blank...) so the White logo is for that... should look quite subtle...

1024412183_HeadstockDecal.thumb.jpg.cbe1658a22cae92387e446ef0d7e513b.jpg

Who is Poiil Eelsteorl?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

AliBacker' Arrived yesterday... well packaged in a polystyrene sarcophagus.

No Customs Hassle, No Import Tax, No Vat, No Handling, Nothing extra to pay... Bonus!
Starting at the top...
Nice headstock... slight chamfer to the top edge to match the neck to headstock transittion. Don't think this is usual on Real Ricks, but i love it, neat styling touch, looks great with the 5 stripe headstock.
Machine Heads, budget but smooth in operation, gave the worms and cogs a rub with 0000 wire wool, and then a dab of vaseline, just for good measure.
TRC is cheap plain plastic, and smaller, shorter than expected, but stuck my black logo on as i couldnt wait! White one is reserved for when i make the full nut width, and slightly wider and curved wood TRC.

Headstock.thumb.jpg.635dc61480dc9ffdb3da01ff506fd365.jpg
Fretboard wood is luverly, colour, grain and texture... gave the frets a bit of a polish with 0000 Wire Wool and the Fretboard (whispers...) a lemon oiling and buff.

Fretboard.thumb.jpg.8ea97ccadbead573db38d8188f87e9ab.jpg
Body wood looks better than the original pics and the whole thing has a nice Satin finish.

Body.thumb.jpg.d22471a0620af9adc48dc145b6c262c1.jpg
Neck relief was set mininal, Action low, although the bridge was set medium high. Could possibly drop a bit when shimming the middle sadles.

Havent plugged it in yet, wired VVT rather than VBT as i asked, but i've got a spare blend pot so easy sorted.
Knobs were OK, but i've swapped em for my fav Vanson Full Domed knobs.

Bridge... I loves the look of the chunky and simple Rick-o-like bridge, but, it overhangs the body by about 8mm! and i dont think i can move it up and still have enough saddle adjust to intonate... so might have to get a chunky high mass type.

Now the bad... nut overhangs the neck a touch so needs a sand, and nut slots need a smooth too. No real biggy... Don't think i'll bother replacing, but an option. Worst bit... Binding at the end of the fretboard... bit of a poor cut 'n gap... at the top so notices more... gonna do the super glue and bicarb mix to fill, works for a low nut, and best remedy i can think of.

Binding.thumb.jpg.1f6318b1cb5fb50630518caab45bb70a.jpg

Really is a lovely neck... Mix of P width, J Depth... and F 34" scale length instead of a Real Ricks 33 1/4" hence the bridge overhang...

Neck.thumb.jpg.5a4a0e8501880b29139a0a68a600579e.jpg

Some mesurments taken from my 'BackAli'...

Scale length: 34" - Fender-esque rather than Real Rick.
Neck Width @ Nut: 42mm
Neck Width @ 12th: 58mm
Neck Width @ End of Fretboard: 64mm
Neck Depth @ Nut: 19 - 20mm - steel rule edged up and sited
Neck Depth @ 12th 21 - 22mm - steel rule edged up and sited
Neck Depth @ Neck Heel 16th / 17th fret: 48mm
(Above are wood depth, not including the height of the fret wire)
Body Thickness: 43mm - Bit thick!
Weight: 4kg ish

Currently in 'Acceptane Negotiations' in the form of a discount / partial refund... Overall, Happy, Looks really nice! And could of been a lot worse...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...