Why become a member? ×

My finger hurts

Owen

Hey y'all. No, I do not have "lack of practice" blisters (even though I deserve them). I seem to have a very small lump across the palm side of my top joint in my plucking index finger. It is on the bone. And when I drag it across a string, for pizz, it hurts. It hurts in a way that makes me think "this is unattractive" and makes me want to make it not hurt. This requires not playing. Obviously, I am not going to take medical advice from an internet forum, much as I love you people. However, does this ring any bells with anyone? It will have a bit of a long term effect on my DB playing if it does not behave. I am thinking some sort of arthritis-y thang. Fortunately, my sister and her husband are GPs so I can get informed opinion on the very lamest medical situations. 

Any thoughts?

In other news, I have taken a choir/orchestra gig playing Vivaldi’s Gloria and the first half of the Messiah in 4 weeks. I will be hurting in all sorts of ways. I have not used a bow in anger in ………..many, many years, and actually maintaining a properly functioning left hand to play all that classical stuff in tune is going to be a rude awakening :( I am expecting pain there, but I know what that is.

• Sad 1

I got a thing called a ganglion years ago.. hard hemispherical lump near the first joint on my ring finger; calcium buildup on a tendon or something.  Had it sugically removed.  The doc said it would probably go away, maybe, and sometimes you can squash them away by slamming your hand hard on a table......

.... see a doc and ignore the above "advice". 

Presume no history of Dupreyens in your family ... as you'd have heard about it.  Tends to make your finger bend before any lumps appear ( my wife and mother in law have it).

Ps long haul that Messiah, especially the aptly named continuo parts.  Need to be fit for that!

My sister (GP) looked at it and said "It could be one of several things, but is prob a ganglion. Suck it up, it is too small to do anything with at the moment. It will either sort itself out or get big enough to get invasive."