Jump to content

Stingray bass - what's come over me?


Recommended Posts

Help needed!

 

I've just been watching R+B on the BBC (BBC 4 - just now at 7pm Friday 15th Oct '21) and whilst watching paul young do his 'wherever I lay my hat' I noticed the great looking, and even tighter sounding, Stingray bass in action. I gorgeous tobacco sunburst lust-worthy version with a really tight, growly, sound.

 

I never realised that Pino Palladino was the bassit for Mr Young and his playing was super slick.

 

Now I *need* a Stingray, but my other half would kill me if I bought another bass. I know that if I just bought one I'd be Pino Palladino reincarnated.

 

Help me to feel good about not ordering one right now! :)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel your pain.  I regularly kid myself that acquiring a particular bass will instantly result in the talent knob being maxed out at 11.  Reality normally sets in 48 hours later so give it a couple of sleeps if you can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s worth listening to the Paul Young albums from that period, No Parlez and The Secret of Association. Lots of classic Pino fretless playing. I’m pretty sure it his playing on these albums that sent his career in to the stratosphere; suddenly everyone wanted a piece of him after that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Come to think about it, I’m pretty sure it was that track that persuaded me to have my Precision bass maple fingerboard replaced with a fretless ebony board, which I still have and I’m still learning to play that bass line. 😂

 

In hindsight I regret doing that. I’d have been better off leaving it alone and buying a fretless Stingray instead. I’d be feeling rather smug now if I’d done that. 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can absolutely help with your question, lowdowner.

 

I was fortunate enough to acquire Pino’s 79 stingray fretless sunburst backup bass, direct from Pino on commission via bass gallery a good few years ago. A magnificent bass in all respects.

 

Sadly, it failed to endow me with any godlike chops or groove and unbelievably, when recently sold on, my ownership was not deemed sufficiently  relevant to be mentioned in the gallery’s online description, only the former keeper’s.

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, lowdowner said:

Help me to feel good about not ordering one right now! :)

 

Given the cause of your condition, I believe the correct antidote would be to go and see him perform live now. His voice is completely fooked and Pino isn't playing with him any more.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GuyR said:

I can absolutely help with your question, lowdowner.

 

I was fortunate enough to acquire Pino’s 79 stingray fretless sunburst backup bass, direct from Pino on commission via bass gallery a good few years ago. A magnificent bass in all respects.

 

Sadly, it failed to endow me with any godlike chops or groove and unbelievably, when recently sold on, my ownership was not deemed sufficiently  relevant to be mentioned in the gallery’s online description, only the former keeper’s.

 

Oh my, absolute, flamin', god! The actual one?? Have you got any videos of playing it? Do you want to sell it (I have three buttons and a toy unicorn to swap!)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a Pino fretless player fan too, I never liked the Stingray fretless sound I was getting. I can come closer to his fretless sound with any bass, but a Stingray...

 

That said, Pino was discovered by Gary Numan, listen to I, Assassin and you'll find that all Pino typical fretless sound is already there.

 

Numaniassassin.jpg

 

Listen this, it may help you not buying a Stingray, but my Ibanez Affirma AFR A104F instead 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️ (that's not me playing) :

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

That said, Pino was discovered by Gary Numan, 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️ 

 

 

Or Jools Holland. Or Endaf Emlyn, or Geraint Jarman or Myfyr Issac. 

 

Pino was active on the Welsh Language scene a long time before he hit the bright lights. We have been enjoying him a lot longer than anyone else. We discovered him. 

 

Between him, Gareth Edwards and Aneurin Bevan we have a rightful claim to world domination. 

Edited by owen
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GuyR said:

Sadly, it failed to endow me with any godlike chops or groove

 

Do you mean to say that if I acquire a Stingray, then my rendition of bassline on this....

 

 

....will not equal Bernard Edwards?

 

Oh.

 

Balls. Well, that saves me some money, I suppose :/

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dazm66 said:

I might have misremembered but I believe he used an octave pedal to thicken up the sound so you’d need to add that into the mix to try and emulate it. 

Wasn’t it a chorus on wherever I lay my hat?

 

He used an Octaver on I’m gonna tear your playhouse down which is a different sound. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

 

Given the cause of your condition, I believe the correct antidote would be to go and see him perform live now. His voice is completely fooked and Pino isn't playing with him any more.

 

 

 

I saw him about ten years ago and he was Godawful then. His voice is totally shot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Jools Holland and His Millionaires record is not the fretless Pino we all know playing these melodic lines, but just a Pino Palladino playing conventional bass on what sounds like a bad Elton John record. Sorry, but Jools Holland has recorded much better things than that.

 

And concerning those known by the ones who know them Welsh musicians, I doubt Pino was as free as he was with Gary Numan or Paul Young, I mean that melodic fretless bass sound we all know (with or without the OC-2 octaver and CE-2 chorus).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

 

I saw him about ten years ago and he was Godawful then. His voice is totally shot. 

 
Yes, he’s not been great for a while. Quite sad really as he’s a nice bloke with a great songbook.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

 
Yes, he’s not been great for a while. Quite sad really as he’s a nice bloke with a great songbook.

 

Yeah I was really looking forward to seeing him. He did the first set with his new (at the time) band, Los Pacaminos and they were great. Then he did his solo stuff in the second set, and it was just awful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

And concerning those known by the ones who know them Welsh musicians, I doubt Pino was as free as he was with Gary Numan or Paul Young, I mean that melodic fretless bass sound we all know (with or without the OC-2 octaver and CE-2 chorus).

Actually, he was :). My brother has a 4 track recording of a gig he played locally on reel to reel somewhere. It is probably knackered by now.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, owen said:

Actually, he was :). My brother has a 4 track recording of a gig he played locally on reel to reel somewhere. It is probably knackered by now.

Even now his playing over the key change @ 2:55ish makes my head spin. I am so excited I am quoting myself!

 

 

 

 

Edited by owen
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, lowdowner said:

Help needed!

 

I've just been watching R+B on the BBC (BBC 4 - just now at 7pm Friday 15th Oct '21) and whilst watching paul young do his 'wherever I lay my hat' I noticed the great looking, and even tighter sounding, Stingray bass in action. I gorgeous tobacco sunburst lust-worthy version with a really tight, growly, sound.

 

I never realised that Pino Palladino was the bassit for Mr Young and his playing was super slick.

 

Now I *need* a Stingray, but my other half would kill me if I bought another bass. I know that if I just bought one I'd be Pino Palladino reincarnated.

 

Help me to feel good about not ordering one right now! :)

 

 

To drag this back on topic, I bought a trashed 66J in 1987 just because it looked like Jaco's bass. I had no idea of it's historical "value" I just knew it looked (and still looks) uber cool. Do I sound like Jaco? Not even remotely :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...