Why become a member? ×

Playing songs in a covers band you dont always like.?

bubinga5

One rehearsal I was warming up and played the first chord (piano chord A but on bass) of “someone like you” by Adele.

The singer said “ooh yeah, can we do that?”

So without a piano player and with the song not suitable for a full band version - I figured it out for bass and vocal.

Absolutely belting way to finish the first set at a busy gig.

But those 2 men and a border collie gigs - it was soul destroying.

We we’re about to stop doing it.

and then we did a gig where half of the stages power went off - and it saved the day as the bass amp, mixer and one of the speakers were in the other circuit. (The landlord messed with the fuse box and we finished the gig as a full band)

Never write off the songs you despise playing.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TimR said:

@AndyTravis you can play any tune that has chords, a melody (and a vocal line), with any ensemble of musicians. 

I will never understand 'musicians' who won't play a song because the band doesn't have the same instrumentation as the 'original'.

It just suited that song - the drummer at the time was a bit crash/bang/wallop (we all know one or two of them; direct descendants of Animal from the muppets)

And the rest of the set was a bit full on, the singer fancied herself as a bit of a Manc Adele…

Anyhow, was about 5 years ago now, and I don’t have to worry about that song, that singer, or that band anymore 👍🏼