Why become a member? ×

Playing songs in a covers band you dont always like.?

bubinga5

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The chorus ISN'T EASY!!!!

Not if you try to sound like Andy Fraser.

C'mon, the chorus is easy, its the backing to the solo that's hard (if you do it like Andy Fraser) I used to play it all on the E and A strings instead of going high and plucking the A with my thumb.

Alright Now:  Section-by-Section Guide To Easiness

Verse: Easiest

Chorus: Next easiest section if you do the solo like Andy Fraser but most difficult if you don't do the solo like Andy Fraser

Solo: Most difficult section if you do it like Andy Fraser but second easiest if you don't do it like Andy Fraser

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Alright Now:  Section-by-Section Guide To Easiness

Verse: Easiest

Chorus: Next easiest section if you do the solo like Andy Fraser but most difficult if you don't do the solo like Andy Fraser

Solo: Most difficult section if you do it like Andy Fraser but second easiest if you don't do it like Andy Fraser

Yeah, I had to sing it too so the chorus was played by me on lower notes rather than higher. Not as close to the original but worked. I couldn’t master the plucking and picking at the same time for the solo. To be honest I thought in our three piece it filled out more when played lower. 

Just now, ubit said:

To be honest I thought in our three piece it filled out more when played lower. 

His bass playing is just so wonderful but what we hear is the studio version with all sorts of EQ and compression on the channels and the master buss that fattens and levels the whole band sound.

19 minutes ago, ubit said:

Yeah, I had to sing it too so the chorus was played by me on lower notes rather than higher. Not as close to the original but worked. I couldn’t master the plucking and picking at the same time for the solo. To be honest I thought in our three piece it filled out more when played lower. 

I always think one of the defining characteristics of Fraser's playing is how much time he spends in what is effectively the guitar's lower register.

Honestly,  if find the solo part easy, just needs care to get the jump up right on the first round.

I could never get the hang of keeping the open A going whilst cavorting up and down to/from the dusty end ...best I managed was a kind of one beat thing.

The easiest way to play the song though is ...

Travel back in time to the early Nineties. Move to Nottingham and get the members of the band "The Diamonds" ( not the famous 'merican one) to pick you instead of me at the audition.

Then, when the departed lead guitar player isn't replaced you too can enjoy playing All Right Now to the wonderful audiences at the East Midlands WMC's, with no solo to faff around under!

No one cared. Not once did the audience complain ...they just danced to it as they always had!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Honestly,  if find the solo part easy, just needs care to get the jump up right on the first round.

So you said that you can play the solo correctly and yet you said to me that the chorus wasn’t easy? 😂

2 hours ago, Boomhower said:

Hi all, we are not a copy or tribute band, but there are a few copy tunes I have never liked, because I thought we couldn't make them sound even decent, but the crowds loved. Just one of the things that amaze me. Sometimes, you just gotta smile, and play thru the song like you meant it to sound that way, and hope for the best response I guess.

Good post - Playing it like you mean it is highly important, IMHO. 👍

😬

5 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Good post - Playing it like you mean it is highly important, IMHO. 👍

I remember going to a proper studio for the first time, to do a demo. I spotted the sound engineer, and said: My good man, I would like to sound like a cross between JJ Burnel and the chap out of the Chilli Peppers.

He replied: Well you better play like that then!

Which was fair.

Edited by Ricky 4000
damn quoted myself instead of editing above post
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I find the solo part easy, in fact the whole song (especially the verse), apart from the first note of the solo, making sure you don't miss it. Not sure how you could do it lower down, that is kind of the song really.

there are certainly a lot trickier free songs (which sadly never get played), and general cover songs 

2 hours ago, ubit said:

So you said that you can play the solo correctly and yet you said to me that the chorus wasn’t easy? 😂

If you play all the fills.

Folks do realise the chorus isn't just 3 or 4 notes? This will play from 4:20:

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What have I started ?? 😉. But yes there is some very tasty major pentatonic riffing going on, and then it ends on those pumping octaves. Such great playing deserves to be done justice, busking it up is just sacrilege really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Guitar solo's pretty straightforward if you play it like Kossoff. More to the album version than the single, but even so...

Trick is to get the vibrato right IIRC.

Just, y'know, sayin'. :|

You just had to bring the album version into this huh? :ph34r:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I know the chorus. We used to play this. I played the right notes but lower. Same with the backing to the solo. Just played it lower,

The chorus is a few notes but not overly complicated. The solo backing however needs you to play high AND pump the A string as well. That requires dexterity I didn't have. I never worked on it right enough as I didn't think the song desperately needed it that much. No one was noticing whether I was high or low anyway.

Edited by ubit

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It’s such a nice bit of playing with the perfect tone for the song.

Also - Lots of guitarists can play the guitar part, but I’ve not heard one yet that can do a convincing Kossoff vibrato.

• Like 1

Ive just watched a how to play on Youtube and the solo isn't as hard as I thought. There was no Youtube back when we were playing this song and he played the high G and drags his finger onto the open A. I always thought the high notes were played and the A was picked with the thumb. Hence my reluctance in attempting it.

12 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Also - Lots of guitarists can play the guitar part, but I’ve not heard one yet that can do a convincing Kossoff vibrato.

I have, a friend of mine but sadly never played in the same band as him. We do it in our set and actually the guitarist does a reasonable solo on it, which isn't always the case.

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

Ive just watched a how to play on Youtube and the solo isn't as hard as I thought. There was no Youtube back when we were playing this song and he played the high G and drags his finger onto the open A. I always thought the high notes were played and the A was picked with the thumb. Hence my reluctance in attempting it.

I always found the picking pattern between the two high notes and the open A is pretty natural and simple, I never saw what the issue with it was, the only issue with that whole bit is the hand move from the bottom to the top the first time, but once you have done the first one and your hand has remembered where it is, all subsequent ones are not really an issue. Which is handy, as normally in that bit someone decides they want to talk to you for some reason.  Often the singer.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I always found the picking pattern between the two high notes and the open A is pretty natural and simple, I never saw what the issue with it was, the only issue with that whole bit is the hand move from the bottom to the top the first time, but once you have done the first one and your hand has remembered where it is, all subsequent ones are not really an issue. Which is handy, as normally in that bit someone decides they want to talk to you for some reason.  Often the singer.

Well I am the singer so I'm safe there but that doesn't stop drunken punters from talking to you.😉

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I know the chorus. We used to play this. I played the right notes but lower. Same with the backing to the solo. Just played it lower,

The chorus is a few notes but not overly complicated. The solo backing however needs you to play high AND pump the A string as well. That requires dexterity I didn't have. I never worked on it right enough as I didn't think the song desperately needed it that much. No one was noticing whether I was high or low anyway.

It's probably because I came to bass largely from (amateurishly) fingerpicked guitar, so I find that sort of pattern relatively straightforward compared to learning several similar but different runs.