Why become a member? ×

Playing songs in a covers band you dont always like.?

bubinga5

15 minutes ago, TimR said:

Just play TO the chords. If you know the chord the individual notes are usually pretty intuitive. You shouldn't have to be sitting there picking out individual notes of a run. 

Well of course that what I meant, I mean really have you nothing better to do than such nitpicking ? (and no this doesnt work for the song in question).

Edited by bassman7755

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I don't need your approval nor to meet any criteria you set in order to play in a covers band.  "I'd question any musician..." - what are you, the music police?  Just look after where your own fingers are on the fingerboard.

I'm not sure what exactly your problem is. I haven't set any criteria and I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm giving my opinion. Why are you taking it so personally?

Really, if you just want to listen to one genre and a set of tunes that's fine by me.

Why join a covers band playing tunes you've never heard before? It's either because you want the money, in which case, listen to more tunes and expand your skillset and repertoire and you'll be more attractive to bands. 

Or its because you want to expand your skillset and repertoire. 

Bass playing is my hobby too. If I'm in the car I'll be listening to tunes I have to learn or listening for upcoming artists. 

Just now, TimR said:

Why join a covers band playing tunes you've never heard before? It's either because you want the money, in which case, listen to more tunes and expand your skillset and repertoire and you'll be more attractive to bands. 

Because you want to play music live.

• Like 1

Stand By Me is a 1 verse listen, so is Werewolves of London and A Girl Like You. There is a long list of busk-able hit songs.

Agree or disagree. . . . ffs why is this thread getting so aggressive and pedantic.

Some songs you can busk some you can't. Depends on the song and the bass player. . . . move on!!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TimR said:

I'm not sure what exactly your problem is. I haven't set any criteria and I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm giving my opinion. Why are you taking it so personally?

Really, if you just want to listen to one genre and a set of tunes that's fine by me.

Or its because you want to expand your skillset and repertoire. 

Bass playing is my hobby too. If I'm in the car I'll be listening to tunes I have to learn or listening for upcoming artists. 

I'll explain what my problem is.  I don't like what you're saying and I don't like the way you're saying it.  It's coming across to me at least as condescending, dictatorial and superior and it's getting right up my nose.  That's what my problem is.  I don't expect you to do anything with this information.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

I'll explain what my problem is.  I don't like what you're saying and I don't like the way you're saying it.  It's coming across to me at least as condescending, dictatorial and superior and it's getting right up my nose.  That's what my problem is.  I don't expect you to do anything with this information.

Not to mention trolling and purposely trying to wind people up. But nothing new there. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Stand By Me is a 1 verse listen, so is Werewolves of London and A Girl Like You. There is a long list of busk-able hit songs.

Agree or disagree. . . . ffs why is this thread getting so aggressive and pedantic.

Some songs you can busk some you can't. Depends on the song and the bass player. . . . move on!!!

This.  The 'agree to disagree' sentiment no longer seems to exist.  Opposing opinions seem to be treated with scorn and derision.  I find it very uncomfortable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bassman7755 said:

So let me throw this into the mix - when I have a learn a new song I listen to it repeatedly until I can hum/sing the bassline by heart before ever picking up the bass. Discuss 🧨

Sounds sensible. If it's a complicated part I'll break it down in sections and work out a chunk at a time. 

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

This.  The 'agree to disagree' sentiment no longer seems to exist.  Opposing opinions seem to be treated with scorn and derision.  I find it very uncomfortable.

Three thing I have learned in life so far:

No 1. The more I think I know about something, the more I realise I actually know very little.

No 2. There is no universal truth. A theory stands until it is disproven. Ethics, Morality, Culture and values are subjective and forever changing.

No 3. History makes a fool of us all.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Boodang said:

Question; should I join a covers band when I don't like all the songs they do.

Basschat answer; I can learn a song in one listening. 

I should imagine bubinga5 is not so much wondering whether to join a covers band so much as whether to take the strings off his bass and hang himself.

Quite psychologically interesting to read the replies though!

I think that this thread was derailed when it was suggested that it isn’t such a big thing if you don’t like the songs that you are being asked to play, because you don’t have to invest too much time in learning many pop songs. This has led to many people’s insecurities being exposed because they don’t have the skillset to actually learn stuff that quickly. I think that Tim has a rather singular way of viewing the world due to his rather unique personal experience of life, but in this case I actually agree with much of what he has said. Others are reading far too much into his comments and taking it personally.

To get back on thread, I remember reading an article in some bass magazine many years where was an article by a guy you may have heard of, but isn’t well known enough for me to remember his name. He was saying that there are three criteria that he considers when he is deciding whether to do a project or not: the music, the money and the people involved. If two out of the three works for him then he will pursue the project. I think that is still pretty good advice…

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, bassman7755 said:

So let me throw this into the mix - when I have a learn a new song I listen to it repeatedly until I can hum/sing the bassline by heart before ever picking up the bass. Discuss 🧨

This what I do. I have been playing bass for more than 45 years. I think I am decent enough. I don't read music but I know where all the notes are on the fretboard. I still listen to songs many times to work out exactly what is being done. unless I am jamming. Then I go by intuition but if I want to learn a cover I give it many runs through to get it right.

If most songs can be learned on a single listen then why bother with tab?

Even easy songs that I work out in minutes would get listened to over and over so that I was sure I had the lot worked out correctly.

22 minutes ago, peteb said:

I think that Tim has a rather singular way of viewing the world due to his rather unique personal experience of life,

Maybe, but I was always taught to listen to as much material as possible and to play with as many people as possible.

And I've grown up around musicians. 

Learning tunes when you don't have to, is never wasted time, you learn more about how songs are constructed and how they fit together. And in the long run develop vital skills as a bass player, which ultimately mean you're not sitting over a cassette player fast forwarding and rewinding while looking at the counter and trying different notes to see if they fit.

Maybe nowadays that's not such a chore, highlight a section music in pro tools, set it on repeat at half speed and pick out the part. 

But I think that listening properly and applying theory to their playing is skill that some people have lost.

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TimR said:
1 hour ago, bassman7755 said:

Try playing All right Now "just playing the chords", that would be amusing to watch.

Just play TO the chords. If you know the chord the individual notes are usually pretty intuitive. You shouldn't have to be sitting there picking out individual notes of a run. 

As you clearly are unfamiliar with All Right Now, it might be a good one for you to try playing live without learning it first and reporting back on how it goes.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

As you clearly are unfamiliar with All Right Now, it might be a good one for you to try playing live without learning it first and reporting back on how it goes.

I've been playing it for years. 

The bass part under the guitar solo is tricky but the chorus is 3 or 4 notes in E.