Why become a member? ×

Playing songs in a covers band you dont always like.?

bubinga5

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

Right, I said your mileage may vary and my post was just from my POV, yet here you go making your POV the only one that counts again. You say learn it and then say you spend more time on it if it works, not quite the spirit of your previous, ‘knock out something passable’ posts. Also, when did playing and performing become 2 different things? As to your facetious ’essay’ comment; really?

It’s an algorithm or a meme, just ignore it.

• Like 1

Actually I’m reminded of a time I auditioned for a covers band. I spent hours learning half the set on the fretless Shuker. Literally hours. 

I turned up to the audition and as I was getting the bass out the lead singer said

”Oh, sorry mate - we don’t do any Paul Young covers..”

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

It’s an algorithm or a meme, just ignore it.

I see what you’re saying and normally I’d just roll my eyes and move on. However, I’m afraid, on this occasion, I couldn’t and I’m OK with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Out of interest -- How many listens did that take you?

I learnt that one, it took 327 listens but 320 of those were out of contrary spite, 5 I didn’t really hear because I was having an epileptic episode. I could have played it after 2 listens but I don’t like to brag.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I learnt that one, it took 327 listens but 320 of those were out of contrary spite, 5 I didn’t really hear because I was having an epileptic episode. I could have played it after 2 listens but I don’t like to brag.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I can play it without knowing what it is, having never heard it before, and with no chord sheet or instruction of any kind.

But then, I'm speshul.

roisegratte.gif.e289adac67f16a79cd2a779d3f45d70e.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

I don't know what you're talking about, but I can play it without knowing what it is, having never heard it before, and with no chord sheet or instruction of any kind.

But then, I'm speshul.

Tru dat

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Teebs said:

But then, I'm speshul.

I learnt the whole of Topographic Oceans without listening once, granted I was off my mash on Rendlesham Sparklers and woke up in a ditch but nonetheless, nailed it.

12 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Are we not in the DOI?

Crumbs, no wonder i don't feel safe.

Turn round, through the door, turn left, then third door on the right, down the corridor through the double doors, second door on the left, and the DoI is the fourth door on the right.

It has a sign on it that says “Professor Wankel Oneread.” 

You’ll be safe there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Absolutely brilliant ........... love it 😂

Wish i had thought of that line.....i'm so jealous of your proficiency.

Dave:tatice_03:

Thought of it? It’s bloody true!

I wrote a series of lines and recorded them for a singer songwriter for a Spotify release. 

A few weeks later he decided to gig them at an album launch. Asked me to play bass live. I listened to my bass lines before the rehearsal - couldn’t remember a single one of them all the way through!!

• Haha 3

Acksherly, I think @TimR is more or less correct in his assertion. Most vanilla covers are pretty bog-standard; the changes are predictable to the extent you'll be sat there listening and you think 'I bet they change up a key' and five seconds later they do. You scribble it all down as you go, tidy your notes into a folder and off to rehearsal, there to iron out the group arrangement and sprinkle some fairy-dust on the choons.

An ability to work out the skeleton of a song in one pass in no way reflects on my limited musical talents. It's just that a significant percentage of each generation of pop songs is written to a formula of the day and it's getting more formulaic as time goes on.

For the last while everything's been about I, IV, V and VI in various permutations and if the K-Pop Wave takes off (as well it might) you can expect to hear I, V, VI, IV even more often than you do now.

His Eminence Mr Rick Beato on cliche chord progressions:

• Like 2

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

Thought of it? It’s bloody true!

I wrote a series of lines and recorded them for a singer songwriter for a Spotify release. 

A few weeks later he decided to gig them at an album launch. Asked me to play bass live. I listened to my bass lines before the rehearsal - couldn’t remember a single one of them all the way through!!

I am having exactly the same problem, listening back to several bass lines that I recorded over lockdown and can’t play one of them, not a one. Mind you, I am smashed out of my gourd on elastic spasm cakes so who knows?

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I do wish I had this talent though  ,  I’ve been trying to learn Rhythm stick since 1981 😁

Come on @Reggaebass...........even i did that on the first take.

It starts on a note somewhere down at the low end of the neck and from there just use yir scales and jam it.

I've never had any complaints of my version.........at home. :laugh1:

I actually managed that one last year during lockdown but i've forgotten it again. Was a hard one to nail. I was at it for weeks if i remember right. Once i got it i kept playing the start riff at rehearsals until everyone told me to "give it a rest Dave".  No pleasing some people :dash1:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1