Why become a member? ×

RHCP fans

gt4ever

The most I've paid for a ticket was Jerry Lee Lewis maybe 5 or 6 years ago - in fact it was for his 80th birthday tour. £90 a ticket but we were 4 rows from the front and it was an incredible show. Most gigs are a huge wait followed by,usually, a bad support act followed by another long wait but they kept it going all night. Also got to see James Burton and Albert Lee.

I tend to go for the smaller Academy sized gigs as it gives you the opportunity to get closer and generally the sound is better as well. I've seen Motorhead, ZZ Top, The Damned and the Frantic Four at the Glasgow one and will be seeing Skunk Anansie there next year. The tickets were something like £35 each.

To be honest I think that for anyone who is a fan then this could very well be their last tour in the UK, apart from maybe some of the festivals, so now's the chance to see them.

I've got some good memories of the shows, one of which was when we were in the venue but just outside the seated area at the SECC in 2002. It was still quite quiet as we'd arrived early. I heard a noise and turned around and saw Flea in a kilt with a cup of tea come out from behind a curtain, realise that there were people in the venue, before disappearing back behind the curtain again.

Edited by Delberthot

Having loved the Chillis from their 1st UK show at the Clarendon in Hammersmith (RIP!), at 2 or 3 quid, all the way up to 5 or 6 paand at the Astoria with blagged after-gig party and quick puff with Flea, I'd go and see them again if tickets were reasonable. But £200ish is far too much for me, especially as it'd involve a hotel too and the fact I don't like any of their touch-feely-attempty-tuney stuff since Californication.

I'd prefer to buy a concert DVD, fire up the hifi and sit there comfy with my glass of wine, pipe and slippers, all safe in the knowledge that the only things likely to bash into me are one of my dogs jumping on my head, or my Mrs' elbow objecting to a loud fart.

Still very happy to watch bands in small venues though, where you can actually lick the artist's sweat off your own face!

I think the most I have ever paid to see a band was £40-ish for The Human League in London about 5 years ago.

THB I don't like big venues (anything bigger than Rock City size) as they have for me very little atmosphere. It would have to be someone very, very special to tempt me back to Nottingham Arena for a gig.

And to re-enforce how over-priced a lot of gigs tickets are, I have just paid £35.00 for Saturday night at WGW next weekend to see Peter Hook and the Light, The Last Cry, and two other bands. That's good value IMO.

I too got weary of the 'big sheds'. I think the final nail in the coffin was seeing Peter Gabriel (Bham) and you couldn't hear a note of what Levin was doing over the persistent booming bass drum.

However, credit where it's due  : one of the artists on my bucket list was Jeff Lynne and I never thought it would happen so me and a mate shelled out way more than we normally pay for gigs in order to see ELO. The sound (Nottm Arena) was superb, far better than when I've seen any other band there and when you consider the complexity of how many instruments and voices were in the mix it showed what a really good sound engineer can do.

Edited by KevB

I decided about 10 years ago that I would never pay over €50 for a gig ticket again. It took away all the anxiety over trying to justify spending huge money on 90 minutes of entertainment versus all the crap that comes along with gigs in cavernous venues. If it's overpriced, I simply don't go, that is it. I love gigs and still go to lots of gigs but, like @Leonard Smallssays, they're ones where you're up close and personal. You don't need superstar names to be a part of amazing gigs. Sometimes, I go abroad to a city for a cluster of gigs on sequential nights and get gigs and a holiday for little more (sometimes less) than some of you are paying for you and your spouse to see one gig in the Enormodome. The best so far was Hamburg a few years ago, saw Reef, Voivod, Lygo, Killing Joke and then Therapy? on successive nights and the most expensive ticket was KJ at €32, I think. Five gigs and a holiday beats one gig in my book 🙂