Why become a member? ×

RHCP fans

gt4ever

11 hours ago, mcnach said:

Interesting contribution to a thread titled "RHCP fans" :D

Ying/Yang.

They're a bit like Weezer for me; on paper I should adore them, but I really don't.  A mate of mine once said something along the lines of, '... they'd be really good if they had a decent singer.'. True, dat.

I've seen them live three times I think, maybe four, but this was only down to obtaining guesties through Warner Bros. 

I’ve seen them about 8 times now, with varying degrees of enjoyment.

Decided not to participate this time.

Not unless my mate gets a couple of complimentary tickets.

looking forward to the new album but I’m not getting rodgered over a barrel to watch them at the cricket ground…seen 3 bands there, all crap gigs. 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2021 at 17:44, Supernaut said:

illegal file sharing is to blame for the costs. Can't blame the bands - touring is their only way to make real money. It isn't from record sales

Illegal file sharing is as good as dead thanks to Spotify/SoundCloud/Deezer etc. Who pay out all but naught per play.

Record sales have never contributed more than a quid a piece in the best of circumstances, unless sold by directly at a live show.

Credits from radio play, ticket sales and merchandise are the main earners iirc.

Original post was purely a heads up for fans willing to part with a lot of money to see them for maybe one last time.  We know who loves and hates them from any previous posts mentioning them.  I don’t do and have never actually seen any band in a stadium before but I’m willing to part with the money I get from playing a couple of gigs to stand at the front and see them one final time.  Period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

Illegal file sharing is as good as dead thanks to Spotify/SoundCloud/Deezer etc. Who pay out all but naught per play.

Streaming pays perfectly well so long as you haven't signed a contract which assigns the majority of that income to your record company and/or publisher.

Edited by BigRedX

Didn't Gary Numan share a statement from Spotify recently showing about £30 for a million plays?

Band used to make a lot more money in the days before streaming. I knew a couple bands who were only moderately successful yet made a good amount of money. 

These days ticket sales are a much bigger part of their income so a £45 ticket for a big show seems reasonable but unfortunately companies like ticket master buy them before they go on general sale to us scum and they'll mark up the price by obscene amounts. 

There's something wrong when a business who literally add nothing useful make more profit out of a ticket than the band who write and perform the music and bring their show around the world for the fans.

The government did start an investigation in to the practice of ticket master but guess what happened after they made a considerable "donation" to the Conservative Party.

19 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Didn't Gary Numan share a statement from Spotify recently showing about £30 for a million plays?

It's either fake, or he's signed a really crap deal that means some other organisation (probably his record label or publisher) is taking most of his Spotify royalties, in which case he's got no-one but himself (and his legal advice) to blame.

I've just had a look at mine for the last 6 months and the mechanicals only work out at just over 0.4¢ per play. Therefore if I'd received 1,000,000 plays that would be over $4k. Add my share of the publishing royalties to that, and it would be more than enough to get my band into a decent studio with a good producer to record our next album.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

On 17/10/2021 at 09:33, AndyTravis said:

I’ve seen them about 8 times now, with varying degrees of enjoyment.

Decided not to participate this time.

Not unless my mate gets a couple of complimentary tickets.

looking forward to the new album but I’m not getting rodgered over a barrel to watch them at the cricket ground…seen 3 bands there, all crap gigs. 

That's what the wife said, she's been a few times and said it's crap for standing, she said we either get good seats or don't go as she'd rather pay more to enjoy it than save money and not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

That's what the wife said, she's been a few times and said it's crap for standing, she said we either get good seats or don't go as she'd rather pay more to enjoy it than save money and not.

Just never enjoyed a gig there. And never fancied anything enough to go back since seeing radiohead there in about 2007/8

12 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't think I've been there before so at least I've not got any preconceptions, being on the front row hopefully will help and we get a 'free' poster,lol.

We've declared the tickets as each others Christmas present to each other, neither of us are Christians though.😄

Christmas lost its real meaning a long time ago. 

• Like 1

That's why it's better to go and see some young up-and-coming bands, rather than a bunch of has beens.

Having said that I like The Stranglers, but their current incarnation is hardly the classic line up and I'd much rather remember them via those great early recordings.

Tickets for some gigs are getting expensive. There seems to be a two categories of gigs now, those whose tickets are 40 quid and under and then those who are charging around 100 quid and more. There's a trend, though. The cheap gigs tend to be in decent venues where you can clearly see the band without having to look at a screen from a great distance and where the sound is good because it's a regular music venue with a good in-house PA. The expensive ones are frequently in sports venues where you can barely see dots moving very far away, where the sound is terrible as the music reverberates around an acoustically horrific bowl and you spend most of the time trying to see past infinite upheld phone screens for a glimpse of an even bigger screen to the side of the stage. I do not understand why people keep putting their hands deeper and deeper into their pockets for the expensive ones. It's a lot of money to pad out someone's retirement fund and frequently get crap in return.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That's why it's better to go and see some young up-and-coming bands, rather than a bunch of has beens.

Having said that I like The Stranglers, but their current incarnation is hardly the classic line up and I'd much rather remember them via those great early recordings.

oh yeah definately about the stranglers but id be going for jj : ) hes one of my bass heroes, also agree on the up and coming bands bit too

19 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Tickets for some gigs are getting expensive. There seems to be a two categories of gigs now, those whose tickets are 40 quid and under and then those who are charging around 100 quid and more. There's a trend, though. The cheap gigs tend to be in decent venues where you can clearly see the band without having to look at a screen from a great distance and where the sound is good because it's a regular music venue with a good in-house PA. The expensive ones are frequently in sports venues where you can barely see dots moving very far away, where the sound is terrible as the music reverberates around an acoustically horrific bowl and you spend most of the time trying to see past infinite upheld phone screens for a glimpse of an even bigger screen to the side of the stage. I do not understand why people keep putting their hands deeper and deeper into their pockets for the expensive ones. It's a lot of money to pad out someone's retirement fund and frequently get crap in return.

It's for all those reasons we've decided to spend even more money to at least get decent seats, I'll be so close I'll be able to hear their in ears never mind the PA 😀

3 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

It's for all those reasons we've decided to spend even more money to at least get decent seats, I'll be so close I'll be able to hear their in ears never mind the PA 😀

Best hope Flea keeps his undercrackers on then. 

😁

• Haha 2