Why become a member? ×

RHCP fans

gt4ever

Gold circle standing at the front I paid £166.  Considering I saw them for free last time is making me justify the purchase.  Think cheapest seats are just under £90.  I’d never normally see a band at a big venue like this but I’ve been a lifelong fan and think this may be the last time they come over, so…

I thought standard seats would be around £100 seeing has that's what most bands are charging nowadays. 

Ah well, illegal file sharing is to blame for the costs. Can't blame the bands - touring is their only way to make real money. It isn't from record sales anymore. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Yep, I really want to go but found some for £84 on the new date, but they look like theyre' in a different postcode! 

I really want to take my family but can't justify nearly £400 for the three of us!

Yeah same, but there's 5 of us so I could only get the one ticket.

My daughter rang me last Tuesday to say that her and her partner had got tickets to the Saturday gig... 

... and that they'd got my wife and I tickets as well. 

I'm chuffed to bits. 😊

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

I'm unlikely to attend any concerts for large band / artists in the near future. 

I just can't justify anything over £50 for a gif ticket. 

I am going to make a much bigger effort to go see smaller / emerging artists though. 

We need another Fugazi to show that bands can still operate with reasonable ticket prices. 

• Like 1

Am a RHCP fan, but will give this tour a miss. Ticket prices are nuts, particularly when going to these large venues, where IME the chances are I will end up watching the gig on a large screen.

Prefer to see some up an coming act in a small venue, having a few beers with some friends. More affordable and more enjoyable IMO.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Jakester said:

Yep, I really want to go but found some for £84 on the new date, but they look like theyre' in a different postcode! 

I really want to take my family but can't justify nearly £400 for the three of us!

Try looking on the London Stadium website, they looked like they had decent seats still for sale

I stopped going to big shows because of companies like ticketmaster buying all the tickets before they go on sale and reselling them for several times the price. I just refuse to give in to them. 

I'd rather pay £20 - £30 for smaller shows and still see some awesome bands who often put on a better performance 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I stopped going to big shows because of companies like ticketmaster buying all the tickets before they go on sale and reselling them for several times the price. I just refuse to give in to them. 

I'd rather pay £20 - £30 for smaller shows and still see some awesome bands who often put on a better performance 

Over the years, I have found the sound at big arena/stadium shows a bit hit and miss (in fact more miss than hit). It can often depend on where one is seated or standing it appears. Some years back I went to see Rush at Wembley Arena and the sound was terrible. A big Rush fan and travelled from Ireland for the gig. Very disappointed. 

The following night I was out in the city for a few beers with friends and wandered into a bar where Wilko Johnson was doing his thing with Norman Watt-Roy on bass. Terrific night!. The Rush gig there and then became a distant memory.

• Like 1

They're worthwhile going to see at least once but they can be a bit hit or miss.

SECC in Glasgow in 2002 they were fantastic (sound was usualy SECC garbage though), Hampden a few years later they were terrible, it was almost like they were killing time as I think they were playing the Reading festival the next day and I ended up leaving early - Biffy Clyro were supporting and blew them away in every respect

Saw them again a few years ago with Josh Von Klinkerhoffen and they were amazing and even played Freakey Styley which I've never heard them play live

10 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

Over the years, I have found the sound at big arena/stadium shows a bit hit and miss (in fact more miss than hit). It can often depend on where one is seated or standing it appears. Some years back I went to see Rush at Wembley Arena and the sound was terrible. A big Rush fan and travelled from Ireland for the gig. Very disappointed. 

The following night I was out in the city for a few beers with friends and wandered into a bar where Wilko Johnson was doing his thing with Norman Watt-Roy on bass. Terrific night!. The Rush gig there and then became a distant memory.

I saw Foo Fighters at Wembley Stadium. The sound was terrible, for the support acts it was dreadful. That's probably the biggest rock band in the world and they didn't sound great. 

Best venue I go to for sound quality is the Fleece in Bristol, capacity of about 300, brilliant sound, never more than 5 seconds from the bar and they get some awesome bands. Killing Joke at the Fleece was probably the best night of live music I've ever had and it cost me £22. 

Dave Grohl should have stayed in Killing Joke.

• Like 2

Having left the last three big stadium-type gigs* mid-concert, you couldn't persuade me to part with the best part of £100 (or more) for the experience any more. I saw the fantastic Robert Jon and the Wreck at Night and Day (250 capacity) for £12 the other week, and I'm going to Cadillac 3 at the Academy for £22, this sort of gig invariably sounds better, looks better, and has a much better atmosphere, for a fraction of the nose-bleeding cost of the stadium stuff. The Ritz is my favourite venue (the O2 Leeds is good, too) for slightly more well-known bands, and I can't recall a bad sound in there, ever.

The only big-capacity gig I've enjoyed in the last few years was Ennio Morricone in Dublin, but that, as you can imagine, was a seated affair...and given there were 198 people on the stage, a big venue was pretty much required...

*The Foo Fighters at Manchester Cricket Ground, the Hollywood Vampires at the MEN, and Alterbridge at the MEN...all because of truly dreadful, gig-ruining sound...well, the Hollywood Vampires were a joke musically, as well, but the sound was very poor, too...

Edited by Muzz

Even at festivals I always prefer the smaller stages. I'm a Glastonbury regular and I find the pyramid stage a very dull experience. Even if you're at the barrier, the distance to the band is further than being at the back of a venue like Bristol academy. I'd rather go to a sweaty punk show in the leftfield tent than watch the big headline set from half a mile away surrounded by people sat in folding camp chairs and picnic blankets.

• Like 3

The Brixton Academy was always the end of the road for me. Watching bands play there was generally bitter/sweet as I was pleased the band had gained success and popularity but sad that most likely it would be the last time I saw them live as the next tour would be in venues that were too big, too expensive and too much hassle. Sadly the RHCP are a band that got too successful, too quickly for me to ever see live.

£200+? It's enough to make me wish I'd carried on buying records.

Saw RHCP at Portsmouth Poly when they were touring Mother's Milk in 1990. Flea dressed up for the occasion in a pair of Y-fronts. Ticket price was probably less than a fiver and no binoculars needed. One of my all-time favourite gigs.

Edited by nige1968
date correction
  • Like 1

I got BSSM for my birthday just after it came out, it was alright, but didn't do much for me.  Can't believe it's 30 years old.  Never owned anything after this, but I have heard/suffered all the rest of their output (actually quite surprised at their lack of catalogue; averaging out to one album every five or six years).

From a fan perspective, I have no idea why they're so adored; musically it's all a bit meh to my ears, hate the vocals.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I got BSSM for my birthday just after it came out, it was alright, but didn't do much for me.  Can't believe it's 30 years old.  Never owned anything after this, but I have heard/suffered all the rest of their output (actually quite surprised at their lack of catalogue; averaging out to one album every five or six years).

From a fan perspective, I have no idea why they're so adored; musically it's all a bit meh to my ears, hate the vocals.

Interesting contribution to a thread titled "RHCP fans" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3