Why become a member? ×

“Shape” bass that doesn’t suck?

NicoMcJ

On 17/10/2021 at 10:24, pete.young said:

You might find an Aria ZZB - they crop up second-hand on Ebay and here occasionally. Here's one on Gumtree which apparently needs a bit of work.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/aria-pro-ii-zzb-deluxe-bass-guitar-red/1415441193

I had a ZZB - in fact I've got one at the moment stashed away, because it needs lots of work, but although they're not heavy (they're a 32" scale, too) IIRC there was some neck dive...and that's from a Fenderbird lover...

I've played a Buzzard, and (again IIRC) it wasn't light; it had that Warwick Brick Outhouse Build to it, tho...unless you tuck it right up under your right arm a la Entwistle, the nut can get a lonnnng way away...

+1 for the Dingwall D-Bird/D-Rocs; not heavy at all, and the body curves and balance are exemplary...

If you're looking at Gus/Buzzard sort of money, tho, it brings you into luthier territory; if I had a couple of £k, I'd be talking to Jon Shuker about a light, balanced Thunderbird/Fenderbird, built exactly to my requirements...

The one on the left started life as an Epiphone (tho there's only the body wood and neckplate left), and is only half a Shuker, but it's not heavy, and balances just fine...the strap button has been moved, tho...

We don't mention the upper fret access, tho (it was kind of an accident, involving a 22-fret Lakland neck and a lot of ill-advised giddiness)...not that I ever really venture up into Nosebleed Territory...

2 basses.jpg

On 15/10/2021 at 14:28, NicoMcJ said:

I do like my pointy and funny shaped 6-string guitars. Sadly I’ve always struggle to find a suitable bass version.  I did have a Sandberg 48 that balanced nicely but it weighed as much as a large dog or small pony.

So, my question is, does a well balanced AND lightweight pointy exist in the bass world?

NB - bonus points for 5 strings.

NNBB - please don’t mention wide straps or anything like that,  I’m looking for something that fundamentally works well without needing hot fixes or workarounds.

NNNBBB - please don’t just list pointy basses, I’m looking for real world experiences here 😊

No browny points for the fiver, but my Gibson Thunderbird is really light, really well balanced and has a lovely slim neck. Just a  tweak of the pickup volumes will get you quite a versatile set of tones too. I have no idea why people say the opposite to all of the above - baffles me. 

Case in point attached. I can get it to do funk wonderfully well (careful as it is a bit sweary) - apparently such behaviour is virtually impossible on a bird......

Dick Shammond Played by a player 26.05.21.mp3

• Like 1