Why become a member? ×

“Shape” bass that doesn’t suck?

NicoMcJ

I do like my pointy and funny shaped 6-string guitars. Sadly I’ve always struggle to find a suitable bass version.  I did have a Sandberg 48 that balanced nicely but it weighed as much as a large dog or small pony.

So, my question is, does a well balanced AND lightweight pointy exist in the bass world?

NB - bonus points for 5 strings.

NNBB - please don’t mention wide straps or anything like that,  I’m looking for something that fundamentally works well without needing hot fixes or workarounds.

NNNBBB - please don’t just list pointy basses, I’m looking for real world experiences here 😊

Edited by NicoMcJ

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

Musicman Big Al,

Gibson Thunderbird or Explorer?

Even 6-string guitar explorers have horrid neck dive so I can’t imagine a bass would be any better.

Are these instruments you’ve owned and had good experience of?

16 minutes ago, NicoMcJ said:

Even 6-string guitar explorers have horrid neck dive so I can’t imagine a bass would be any better.

Are these instruments you’ve owned and had good experience of?

Sadly not. The closest I have got was playing a mates Epiphone Vintage Pro. Nice bass but  not the lightest I have played. I have heard nothing but good things about the Big Al though. Pretty sure one of the regular posters here has one.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

Just now, Ricky Rioli said:

Its a Warwick Adam Clayton Signature Reverso. Looking at videos it seems to hang nicely

Yeah the strap button positions are positioned nicely.  I see they did a PJ version for Rex Brown too.  Worth a look I reckon!

• Like 1

Just now, tegs07 said:

Sadly not. The closest I have got was playing a mates Epiphone Vintage Pro. Nice bass, not the lightest I have played. I have heard nothing but goo things about the Big Al though. Pretty sure one of the regular posters here has one.

The Big Al does look cool

7 minutes ago, NicoMcJ said:

I see they did a PJ version for Rex Brown too.  Worth a look I reckon!

RAL_1964_51AA_ALD_FR_02_V2.jpg

If that's a 24 fret neck, then presumably both those pickups are a bit closer to the bridge than traditional?

The Rex Brown has a regular 2+2 headstock though o.O

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

RAL_1964_51AA_ALD_FR_02_V2.jpg

If that's a 24 fret neck, then presumably both those pickups are a bit closer to the bridge than traditional?

The Rex Brown has a regular 2+2 headstock though o.O

Aw that’s a shame about the headstock 

Just leave the headstock off then:

119436640_2754044108212207_3357419205302802540_n.thumb.jpg.f8029e3a99029a21068fe81325496db1.jpg

Bass in question is a Kiesel Type X bass. It's not one of their regular models, but they will build them on request. It's headless, and presumably balances very well. To be honest though, I personally think it looks much too compact to really look cool. I also think the forearm carve on that bottom left pointy extention looks weird! 

1 minute ago, LeftyJ said:

Just leave the headstock off then:

119436640_2754044108212207_3357419205302802540_n.thumb.jpg.f8029e3a99029a21068fe81325496db1.jpg

Bass in question is a Kiesel Type X bass. It's not one of their regular models, but they will build them on request. It's headless, and presumably balances very well. To be honest though, I personally think it looks much too compact to really look cool. I also think the forearm carve on that bottom left pointy extention looks weird! 

No headstock could work indeed. I agree that this probably isn’t “the one” though.