Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN - High quality 'Fender' PJ bitsa - I've thought of something interesting to do with the bass
£600
Chorley, Lancs., PR6

ead

WITHDRAWN

Needs must and I have reluctantly release a couple of basses back into the community.  I acquired this from our very own Ash a few months back, it's a lovely bass and I'll be sorry to see it go.

I have used a chunk of Ash's original advert as it has a comprehensive description of the various bits:

This is an interesting bitsa bass built around an old ‘78 US Fender Precision bass body paired with an Indonesian Squier maple neck on it that works really well. It has a 70’s Fender decal replacing the Squier logo and a set of Hipshot tuners

I replaced the electronics with a P/J set of EMG passive Geezer Butler pickups along with the solderless EMG harness. The bass plays very nicely indeed and is currently set up with a new set of Rotosound nickel coated round-wound strings.  I have also added some good quality flat-topped knobs.

The body itself was stripped many years ago and an oil finish applied that really does justice to the wood. The ID stamp remain in the neck pocket, the enlarged control cavity has been well shielded. The screw pattern under the scratchplate matches the plate from a ‘77 Precision and there are no extra screw holes. The tortoiseshell style scratchplate is a reasonable quality replacement and has some extra holes drilled into it. The bridge is the threaded 50’s type that gives you better adjustment for string spacing.  There are a couple small dings in the body that are hard to see and one scratch on the back that you can see.

Importantly the body is not a boat-anchor compared to many of this era. The whole instrument weighs in at 4kgs. It’s a lovely bass to play and has had a lot of use as a result. The neck is excellent - a surprise to me in fact as I haven’t played a maple Squier neck of this type before. The nut width is slightly less than a ‘77 P bass and around the same as a JV.

Trades are of interest as I’m looking for a 4-string fretless bass of roughly the same value that I can take to gig to venues that I would not want to take my ACG fretless bass to.  Cash either way is fine also.  For a trade I would definitely prefer to do face to face somewhere convenient.

FOr a straight purchase cash on collection would be preferable but I’m also open to meeting up somewhere mutually convenient.  Last resort would be a courier but you would have to arrange this.

Thanks for looking and here are the pics.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or would like to see some additional images.

Edited by ead
  • Like 3

• ead changed the title to WITHDRAWN - High quality 'Fender' PJ bitsa - I've thought of something interesting to do with the bass